It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:20 pm

M. Alexander moving from QB to WR

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:29 pm   
Golden Panther

FIU Football twitter just announced that Maurice Alexander is moving from the
QB position to the WR position for the 2018 season.

I think this is a good move, means confidence in our incoming grad transfer (Morgan) and C. Alexander.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:42 pm   
Golden Panther

Appreciate the fact Maurice took/accepted this decision which ultimately could end up being the best move for him and for the team.

#PawsUp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:49 pm   
Golden Panther

A little sad to see anther local QB to not work out for FIU? Maurice won a state title for Tim Harris Jr (Our RB Coach) at Central. His size didnt' hamper him at the HS level, but I think we all saw that at the college level it was a major obstacle.

I think this means that Captain Morgan is definitely going to enroll for the Summer Term.

It happened to Godfrey at UCF when he lost his starting job to Bortles. Godfrey went on to help UCF in the slot.

That means the slot receiver competition gets tougher.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:43 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Great move really quick player. He played last yr a few plays at wr. On a couple of plays made some people miss.
Next Wayne Tymes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:22 pm   
Golden Panther

Best position for him in my eyes. He won't need to learn the playbook. He could be very useful for trick plays. And I think he'd be a pretty good slot receiver.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:46 pm   
Puma

chiaPanther wrote:
A little sad to see anther local QB to not work out for FIU? Maurice won a state title for Tim Harris Jr (Our RB Coach) at Central. His size didnt' hamper him at the HS level, but I think we all saw that at the college level it was a major obstacle.

I think this means that Captain Morgan is definitely going to enroll for the Summer Term.

It happened to Godfrey at UCF when he lost his starting job to Bortles. Godfrey went on to help UCF in the slot.

Booker T Washington.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:44 pm   
Golden Panther

blkpanther wrote:
chiaPanther wrote:

Booker T Washington.

You are absolutely correct. Thanks

Not sure how I screwed that up.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:47 pm   
Golden Panther

After what we saw in our last bowl game I think we can all agree this is a good decision. Again, this makes me happy that it looks like Morgan will be starting. Experience and size.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:47 am   
Golden Panther

http://www.fiusports.com/news/2018/4/17 ... hange.aspx

FIU article on the situation. Interesting that they didn't specifically mention grad transfer James Morgan. I still think he's likely to start. I'm guessing Morgan isn't mentioned because he's not officially signed with FIU, not until he officially graduates in May.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:43 pm   
Golden Panther

FIU Beisbol wrote:
http://www.fiusports.com/news/2018/4/17/football-qb-alexander-makes-position-change.aspx

FIU article on the situation. Interesting that they didn't specifically mention grad transfer James Morgan. I still think he's likely to start. I'm guessing Morgan isn't mentioned because he's not officially signed with FIU, not until he officially graduates in May.

Exactly. They can't mention anybody that hasn't signed with FIU.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:04 pm   
Golden Panther

You know, one of the best things about the BD era is that every now and then something happens that makes sense and which echoes the suggestions of some of the folks on this board who actually like to talk about how the game of football is best played. Amazing. Ron Turner would have either 1) stuck with Maurice under center or 2) asked him to play LT and protect the blind side.

I too am happy that Master Alexander has left off QBing and will try out Slot Receiving. What worked for Terelle Pryor may work for him. At least I hope so. A number of posters have claimed that he is a team leader and a hard worker and it would be good to have a hardnosed Armendola type mixing it up underneath. Given that the Heat is about to go on ice and that the Marlins have been disbanded and the Dolphins are sticking with Tannehill, I am desperate for Fall practice to begin. How long until August, again?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:36 pm   
Juvenile Panther

I believe Malik Tyson made the switch from QB to WR also.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:28 am   
Puma

Malik was moved to DB, but i think he got injured just before the spring game.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:59 am   
Golden Panther

It's great to see Butch switching guys to positions that make the most sense for them (Fermin to LB and Maurice to WR). Maurice was elusive as a runner, but I think he will have to put on some more weight to be able to deal with press coverage and hits over the middle of the field. This move does beg the question of why Christian didn't see any playing time in the bowl game last year, but I don't want to bring up bad memories... Nonetheless, wishing Maurice nothing but the best at WR.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:10 am   
Golden Panther

Building A Dynasty wrote:
It's great to see Butch switching guys to positions that make the most sense for them (Fermin to LB and Maurice to WR). Maurice was elusive as a runner, but I think he will have to put on some more weight to be able to deal with press coverage and hits over the middle of the field. This move does beg the question of why Christian didn't see any playing time in the bowl game last year, but I don't want to bring up bad memories... Nonetheless, wishing Maurice nothing but the best at WR.

Yah, all it takes is Butch telling them, "hey, I think you should play WR" (wink, wink), as in.... you're never playing QB here again LOL