It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:19 am

2018 FIU football team ranked 122 in FBS

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:07 pm   
Golden Panther

Here's some bulletin board material:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college-football-rankings/os-sp-college-football-rankings-fiu-0427-story.html

In the Orlando Sentinel's annual FBS team rankings for the upcoming season, they have FIU at 122 out of 129 eligible FBS teams. What a joke.

Quote:
The FIU Panthers were one of the biggest surprises in 2017, wildly exceeding expectations and posting an 8-5 record.

Extensive loss of players at key positions, however, will make it hard for the team to immediately build on last season’s success.

As a result, the Panthers are No. 122 in Orlando Sentinel college insider Matt Murschel’s preseason 2018 college football rankings. Murschel ranked all 129 Football Bowl Subdivision teams in the country. The Sentinel staff takes a closer look at a new team daily, counting backward from No. 129 to our projected No. 1 team.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:20 pm   
Puma

Yeah, I read that but I wouldn't look too much into that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:58 pm   
Golden Panther

We don't know for sure about QB, it is true, and the LB's & DB's will need time to season. But all else looks like it will be improved, and it is hard for me to fathom that in terms of athleticism alone that we are 122/129. This is what happens when you have spent so long among the Rodney Dangerfield's of football, however. The games are still being played on the field, thankfully, so stiff upper lip, boys, and forward!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:24 pm   
Golden Panther

122 seems a bit harsh to me as well, but considering FIU lost its top QB, RB and WR to graduation, I can't say it's that shocking. You could argue that last year's team overachieved in a big way and that the Panthers are more likely to regress to the mean than keep that level up, at least as far as next season goes.

I think RB will be fine. Lots of experience coming back. WR, maybe not as much, but that's more tied to QB than anything. The D should be better than last season. I think the lines will be, too. If Morgan or someone else pans out under center, I think FIU goes bowling again.

The real scary part about that countdown is how many CUSA teams are on that list already. UTEP, Rice and Charlotte. This conference has to start getting better from the bottom or else it'll be $$$$ near impossible to get a NY6 Bowl berth, even with an undefeated season.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:42 pm   
Golden Panther

They can go suck it... we're better than 122... We have a great team returning and we filled in holes well. Our incoming QB grad transfer will flourish under our head coach. Panthers will prove them wrong, again.

Let's go bowling!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:45 pm   
Golden Panther

FIU Beisbol wrote:
Our incoming QB grad transfer will flourish under our head coach.

This remains to be seen. He is from Bowling Green, out of the MAC. Not exactly a big time program. His stats are worse than McGough's were at that stage in McGough's career. He was highly touted out of high school, but he hasn't been very good in D-1 FBS competition. Maybe Butch and the staff can work a miracle, but if they can't, we're not going to be a very good team. I'm nervous about this season.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:46 pm   
Golden Panther

pikedanny wrote:
FIU Beisbol wrote:
Our incoming QB grad transfer will flourish under our head coach.

This remains to be seen. He is from Bowling Green, out of the MAC. Not exactly a big time program. His stats are worse than McGough's were at that stage in McGough's career. He was highly touted out of high school, but he hasn't been very good in D-1 FBS competition. Maybe Butch and the staff can work a miracle, but if they can't, we're not going to be a very good team. I'm nervous about this season.

Tremenda pendejada. What are you nervous about? We have arguably the best QB on paper we've ever had. And we just obtained the sickest incoming class in the history of the program, by far. We have Butch @ coach. And we have the finest stadium in D1 football in the nation.

We will improve on last year and start the season 8-0. First loss will be against FAU.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:12 pm   
Golden Panther

Quijote wrote:
We have arguably the best QB on paper we've ever had.

I'd say the SEC All-Freshman QB we had transfer in and lead us to two bowl games was a better get, but you know, pendejada.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:55 pm   
Golden Panther

pikedanny wrote:
Quijote wrote:
We have arguably the best QB on paper we've ever had.

I'd say the SEC All-Freshman QB we had transfer in and lead us to two bowl games was a better get, but you know, pendejada.

Here you are playing both the results (two bowl games and the SEC bias).

While Wesley Carroll (and you know I think he is the best QB in our history) led us to two bowl games, his Missisippi State tenure wasn't that great. In fact he had some major stinkers. Also remember why he landed here, he was benched as a sophomore and was never going to see the field again. Freshman 9 TDS - 7 INTS and 3 TD - 7 INTS as a Sophomore.

What we know about James Morgan is that he had a better QB Rating as a freshman 2016 (116.8) then both Wesley and Alex despite having a coaching staff worse than Mario and Turner.
His Offensive Coordinator (also the QB Coach) at Bowling Green was in his first ever year as a coordinator and QB coach in 2016 and in 2017 he was a victim of a scheme that was built for the younger brother of one of his coaches.

He got a messed up deal at Boiling Green. I'll bank on his Freshman stats and the experience Butch and Rich have.

Plus, having seen how they groomed Alex during the season, and adding a much improved OL with excellent WRs and lots of returning WRs, I think we will be ok.

so stop con la pendejada!!!

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:15 am   
Puma

I'll just say one thing, i don't think we have excellent receivers. In fact i'm a bit worried about that position.

Tell me who is a star in that group?
Singleton had one great game, though i agree he has a ton of potential.
Maloney is average to good, not great.
Gaiter and Scott have very little to show for in their time at FIU and in my opinion a low ceiling.
CJ Worton (transfer from UF) was very underwhelming at the Spring game so don't expect much
Shermar Thorton has a lot of potential (not proven)
Jordan Underwood was with 3rd and 4th team for spring game, not expecting a lot this season

We all know the incoming freshmen are wildcards so won't discuss those.

Tell me again how this is excellent?

Just putting in out there, we lost a heck of a lot with T.O and Julian Williams.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:15 pm   
Golden Panther

Speaking of receivers, Cadarius Gaskin?

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:30 pm   
Puma

No idea, sadly the most likely scenario is that he doesn't qualify and ends up going JUCO or to Marshall. He is not very active on twitter so though to tell. hope he does show up, we can use him for sure.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:26 pm   
Golden Panther

reinierguerra wrote:
No idea, sadly the most likely scenario is that he doesn't qualify and ends up going JUCO or to Marshall. He is not very active on twitter so though to tell. hope he does show up, we can use him for sure.

Yes, we could really use him. As for Morgan, on paper he is the most talented QB we've ever had. My hope is we coach him up to his potential.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:05 am   
Golden Panther

JulesFIU07 wrote:
reinierguerra wrote:

Yes, we could really use him. As for Morgan, on paper he is the most talented QB we've ever had. My hope is we coach him up to his potential.

Exactly! Look what Butch did with Alex McGoguh.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:13 am   
Golden Panther

LOL!!! Pretty friggin lazy contribution by this writer... My Waaaaay too early two cent analysis is as follows:

Quarterback: PUSH. Morgan, Christian, Wiggins battle it out, but think we see James Week 1. The O-line will be key, I expect good execution from play action and intermediate routes if this LINE is improved which I expect.

Offensive Line: UPGRADE. Core guys returning bigger, better technique/footwork and addition of Demery opposite Kai Absheer.

Running Backs: UPGRADE. Plenty of talent to share carries, I expect Shawn and Napoleon to get most short yardage reps but Price and Jones also give us pass catching options for screens and check downs with ability to make plays.

WRs: PUSH. Losing Ownens will need to be absorbed by getting more guys involved. We have a number of options (Bryce, Worton, Thronton, Maloney, Gaskin, Ivan Thomas, Gaiter, Darius Scott et al). I expect staff will aim to develop 5 options at WR and not rely upon just 1 guy to make plays. **Marquel Dillard and Maurice give us speed at slot.

TEs: WEAKER. Probably asking a lot to see Sterling and O'Meara to make an immediate impact. Ivan Thomas could see reps.

Defensive Line: UPGRADE. Without question the addition of Wood, Tart-Spencer, Humphrey, Colson, Burns & Mercier to the unit of (Johnson, Oliver, Curtis, Little, Shacq Williams, Juste, Tarver and RJ) provide great depth for a legit 2 deep unit. Just imagine the starting unit to be (Wood, Humphrey, Teair, Oliver). **If this unit exceeds and plays at a high level it could result in double digit wins.

Linebackers: PUSH. I think we were spoiled with Treyvon and Wint makings so many plays the last few years, but they were forced to with a line that got gashed all the time. Moving Fermin to OLB was long overdue, can still be a passing rushing option but has good enough wheels to make TFLs. Sage looks to be built for the MIKE position and made plays last year. He will need to mentor Donovan which I expect is on the 2 deep to start season. **Look out for Dimitry Prophete as a sleeper to emerge this season. Stable of other guys with Tevin, Rocky, Brandon, Jamal, Shaun, Josh Sanders to develop.

CBs: WEAKER. Ike and Lubin returning healthy give us talented & experienced starters but unknowns behind them at CB. Our pass rush will be the key indirect factor here. Area of concern if injuries occur, Dames bros will need to contribute. Need to develop guys like (Cushion, Walker, McCray, Jacob White).

Safety: UPGRADE. Although lacking experience, I expect to see this unit emerge making plays. Dorian Hall has to be ready to be a starter at FS and Daniel Jackson at SS. Addition of (Jamal Anderson, Shamar Munroe, Dames bros in nickel/dime options).

K/P: SOLID - Jose and Stone were very effective and Sean Young at kickoffs gave us routine touch backs that we had never had in 15 years.

Overall: I think we have the talent and coaching staff to get us in the 9 - 10 win category and possibly the most athletic roster since the 2011 season. Can't lose games to Old Dominion, Middle and UTSA. Dream season= Beat Indiana, Miami and FAU and end up ranked in the Top 20?

I wrote this somewhat on the fly and may have missed some guys so don't kill me but I think 2018 will be a memorable season. PawsUp!!!