It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:39 pm

DANGER: Groupthink

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:28 am   
Golden Panther

Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:52 am
Posts: 4779
panther97 wrote:
que bola fiu wrote:
Can we please not start this name change bullish!t again. Its one of the 3 topics he loves to troll us on


Agree 100%. Now; about changing back to Sunblazers...



Why not keep both. May schools use different mascots.

We could use the SOB in Basketball, Baseball ... And Roary for football, soccer...

As examples.

_________________
"It's called opportunity, that's what life is all about, you get an opportunity and I think these guys are anxious to have this opportunity and do something with it" - FIU Coach Ron Turner


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:18 pm   
Cougar
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:39 pm
Posts: 206
The OP has a point though. When I first joined this site 3 years ago, I thought there was going to be more people chiming in. It's the same 10 people who post, and for the most part, all agree with one another. And when someone has a different idea, the "cool" members who have been here the longest feel like it's ok to act all douchy and shut down your idea.

I'm about to graduate this fall and I've lost enthusiasm for athletics. My first year I went to a few basketball games (it was worst than some high school games I been to). Been to a handful of baseball games. They are all dead unless cross town Miami comes to town, then the place gets pack with overzealous FIU fans.

And football hasn't seen larger crowds even with Butch Davis at the wheel. Yea I know it's just the first year but I figured more people would have been showing up towards the end of the season and nothing.

I see no one wearing FIU gear around other than on campus or near campus. And even then I see more Gators, FSU and UM stuff on people.

Whether you 10 fans in here want to admit it or not, the school needs to reinvent itself. Starting from athletics all the way down to logo and carplate design.

FIU is a stupid name but whatever. Can't change that now. The colors tho could be better. The dark blue and gold is played out and lack excitement. I've seen pictures of a lighter shade of blue that IMO was a lot better. The FIU logos are terrible. Both the panther and the block lettering. The old logo was much better.

Compare the FIU logo on a car plate to UM, FSU, UCF and UF..ours is so much smaller and much more boring. All white plate with a crappy small panther on it. They missed an opportunity to add a blue or gold stripe on the plate. Or even make all all blue tag with gold stripes top and bottom. UCF knocked it out of the park with the all black car plate.

Everything we do is boring. No wonder we sell the least amount of car tags even though we have the second highest students and alumni in the state.

http://www.flhsmv.gov/specialtytags/tagsales.pdf

How does a private university sell 25,000 plates a year with 14,000 students and we can't even crack 3,000 plates with 55,000 students.

Guys this isn't rocket science, the marketing team at FIU is terrible. No one gives a $$$$ about which Target or Costco is now selling FIU gear...If most FIU gear is undesirable by students and alumni, why would we think casual football or bastkeball fans who didn't attend college would wear our stuff?

Butch Davis isn't going to coach forever. Once he is gone we will be left with the same BS as always. The culture needs to change. Nothing should be off limits, including the name.


Last edited by SP1029 on Sun May 13, 2018 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:32 pm   
Cougar

Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:37 pm
Posts: 213
Ok, so what do we change? And what can we do to help change it


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:21 pm   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:44 pm
Posts: 989
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Of course you can change the name. Why not? What's really there to stop it? Why can't a grassroots campaign make it happen? (And I, for one, would be willing to donate time and/or money to make it happen, especially if we also make a push to bring back the Sunblazers.)

This idea that you can't do it is just wrong. There's plenty of examples out there. Some are schools with rather longer histories than FIU, actually.

- Florida State used to be a women's teacher's college (can't remember the exact name, but it was something like that).
- UCF used to be Florida Tech.
- Louisiana-Lafayette was Southwestern Louisiana for a long time... and Louisiana-Monroe was Northeast Louisiana for about as long.
- Duke used to be called Trinity College.

And that's just off the top of my head. I'm sure I'm missing a bunch more.

It's funny to me how many of you on here complain about how FIU (especially Athletics) doesn't really try to market itself in a bold way... yet when someone comes along and suggests a bold idea, many of you immediately dismiss it. That's your right to do so. Just remember that, oftentimes, bold ideas are ridiculed early on. It's easy to go with the flow and engage in groupthink. In that sense, Southpaw is totally right.

Why should FIU continue to saddle itself with that name if there's a better one out there... especially one that appeals more to the FIU community and the South Florida community? Because that's just the way it is? Because we've blown all this money and invested all this time in it? How does it make sense to keep making a bad decision just because it's the same one you've been making for many years?

Sometimes, a reinvention is necessary. Sometimes, you need to do something bold to change the rules of the game. Personally, I think FIU needs to do it because, if done right, it could change the way the school is perceived quickly, especially if you combine it with strong football and a baseball team which makes a run or two to Omaha.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:47 am   
Golden Panther

Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:13 pm
Posts: 1935
Name change talk... AGAIN. YAY!!!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:16 pm   
Cougar
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:39 pm
Posts: 206
Clawing Cancer wrote:
Of course you can change the name. Why not? What's really there to stop it? Why can't a grassroots campaign make it happen? (And I, for one, would be willing to donate time and/or money to make it happen, especially if we also make a push to bring back the Sunblazers.)

This idea that you can't do it is just wrong. There's plenty of examples out there. Some are schools with rather longer histories than FIU, actually.

- Florida State used to be a women's teacher's college (can't remember the exact name, but it was something like that).
- UCF used to be Florida Tech.
- Louisiana-Lafayette was Southwestern Louisiana for a long time... and Louisiana-Monroe was Northeast Louisiana for about as long.
- Duke used to be called Trinity College.

And that's just off the top of my head. I'm sure I'm missing a bunch more.

It's funny to me how many of you on here complain about how FIU (especially Athletics) doesn't really try to market itself in a bold way... yet when someone comes along and suggests a bold idea, many of you immediately dismiss it. That's your right to do so. Just remember that, oftentimes, bold ideas are ridiculed early on. It's easy to go with the flow and engage in groupthink. In that sense, Southpaw is totally right.

Why should FIU continue to saddle itself with that name if there's a better one out there... especially one that appeals more to the FIU community and the South Florida community? Because that's just the way it is? Because we've blown all this money and invested all this time in it? How does it make sense to keep making a bad decision just because it's the same one you've been making for many years?

Sometimes, a reinvention is necessary. Sometimes, you need to do something bold to change the rules of the game. Personally, I think FIU needs to do it because, if done right, it could change the way the school is perceived quickly, especially if you combine it with strong football and a baseball team which makes a run or two to Omaha.


If you could change it, what would be your top choice(s)?


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:17 pm   
Cougar
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:39 pm
Posts: 206
pikedanny wrote:
Name change talk... AGAIN. YAY!!!!!!


Florida immigrant university....how many times have you heard this?


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:30 pm   
Golden Panther

Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 11:38 pm
Posts: 2431
SP1029 wrote:
Clawing Cancer wrote:
Of course you can change the name. Why not? What's really there to stop it? Why can't a grassroots campaign make it happen? (And I, for one, would be willing to donate time and/or money to make it happen, especially if we also make a push to bring back the Sunblazers.)

This idea that you can't do it is just wrong. There's plenty of examples out there. Some are schools with rather longer histories than FIU, actually.

- Florida State used to be a women's teacher's college (can't remember the exact name, but it was something like that).
- UCF used to be Florida Tech.
- Louisiana-Lafayette was Southwestern Louisiana for a long time... and Louisiana-Monroe was Northeast Louisiana for about as long.
- Duke used to be called Trinity College.

And that's just off the top of my head. I'm sure I'm missing a bunch more.

It's funny to me how many of you on here complain about how FIU (especially Athletics) doesn't really try to market itself in a bold way... yet when someone comes along and suggests a bold idea, many of you immediately dismiss it. That's your right to do so. Just remember that, oftentimes, bold ideas are ridiculed early on. It's easy to go with the flow and engage in groupthink. In that sense, Southpaw is totally right.

Why should FIU continue to saddle itself with that name if there's a better one out there... especially one that appeals more to the FIU community and the South Florida community? Because that's just the way it is? Because we've blown all this money and invested all this time in it? How does it make sense to keep making a bad decision just because it's the same one you've been making for many years?

Sometimes, a reinvention is necessary. Sometimes, you need to do something bold to change the rules of the game. Personally, I think FIU needs to do it because, if done right, it could change the way the school is perceived quickly, especially if you combine it with strong football and a baseball team which makes a run or two to Omaha.


If you could change it, what would be your top choice(s)?


If the Knight Foundation decided to bequeath the entirety of their endowment to greatly increase ours', I would be fine with Knight University.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:48 pm   
Puma

Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 2:32 pm
Posts: 329
SP1029 wrote:
pikedanny wrote:
Name change talk... AGAIN. YAY!!!!!!


Florida immigrant university....how many times have you heard this?



I've never heard of FIU being called that...


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:22 am   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:44 pm
Posts: 989
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
jcalex22 wrote:
SP1029 wrote:
pikedanny wrote:
Name change talk... AGAIN. YAY!!!!!!


Florida immigrant university....how many times have you heard this?


I've never heard of FIU being called that...


I have. Plenty of times. What I've heard more is FIU confused with FAU. Which, in my opinion, is reason enough to change the name.

JulesFIU07 wrote:

If the Knight Foundation decided to bequeath the entirety of their endowment to greatly increase ours', I would be fine with Knight University.


Hehe. Plenty of truth in this. Money makes the world go round, after all.

SP1029 wrote:
Clawing Cancer wrote:
Of course you can change the name. Why not? What's really there to stop it? Why can't a grassroots campaign make it happen? (And I, for one, would be willing to donate time and/or money to make it happen, especially if we also make a push to bring back the Sunblazers.)

This idea that you can't do it is just wrong. There's plenty of examples out there. Some are schools with rather longer histories than FIU, actually.

- Florida State used to be a women's teacher's college (can't remember the exact name, but it was something like that).
- UCF used to be Florida Tech.
- Louisiana-Lafayette was Southwestern Louisiana for a long time... and Louisiana-Monroe was Northeast Louisiana for about as long.
- Duke used to be called Trinity College.

And that's just off the top of my head. I'm sure I'm missing a bunch more.

It's funny to me how many of you on here complain about how FIU (especially Athletics) doesn't really try to market itself in a bold way... yet when someone comes along and suggests a bold idea, many of you immediately dismiss it. That's your right to do so. Just remember that, oftentimes, bold ideas are ridiculed early on. It's easy to go with the flow and engage in groupthink. In that sense, Southpaw is totally right.

Why should FIU continue to saddle itself with that name if there's a better one out there... especially one that appeals more to the FIU community and the South Florida community? Because that's just the way it is? Because we've blown all this money and invested all this time in it? How does it make sense to keep making a bad decision just because it's the same one you've been making for many years?

Sometimes, a reinvention is necessary. Sometimes, you need to do something bold to change the rules of the game. Personally, I think FIU needs to do it because, if done right, it could change the way the school is perceived quickly, especially if you combine it with strong football and a baseball team which makes a run or two to Omaha.


If you could change it, what would be your top choice(s)?


In a perfect world... University of South Florida. But that's not happening, no matter how dumb it is to have USF in Tampa. (Seriously, when has Tampa ever been considered South Florida?)

I guess my #1 would be Miami State Sunblazers, albeit with some hesitation.

I don't particularly like city name + state as a combination, mostly because it's a city name, not a state. (I know the "state" part is referring to the university being in the state system, but I still don't like the combination. Personal quirk, I guess.)

Miami City would make more sense to me, but that's more of a soccer club name, not an American university. Since we're in America and you have plenty of city name + state examples out there at the college level (San Diego, Boise, Fresno are just a few), I say that's probably the most "big time college" name you can come up with for FIU.

As for Sunblazers... yes, it's from FIU's past... but it's also a unique mascot name. No one else has it. That matters for branding purposes. See Minor League Baseball teams these days. Also, I think there needs to be some tie to the FIU name - especially for alums - and I think that would do it nicely.

I suppose University of Southeast (or Southeastern) Florida is an option, but that just invites confusion with USF. Maybe something referencing the Everglades - like Everglades University - but I know there's a for-profit school named that already and I don't know if EU would connect with the community any better than FIU does. (Though, in that case, I'd be fine with keeping the Panther as a mascot.)

Beyond that... not sure. I can't really think of anything else which could potentially resonate with the community. And I think that's the big reason you do a name change.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:52 am   
Golden Panther

Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:25 am
Posts: 667
When Mitch Maidique came aboard as President back in the 80's, he floated the idea of a change to University of Florida--Miami, reasoning that since the school is part of the UF system, such a name made sense (think UC-Davis, UC-Berkeley, etc). The two dozen or so FIU alumni at the time pissed and moaned to such a degree that the idea was dropped. However, since most of those aggrieved at the time are probably too senile now to compose a coherent sentence of protest and since none of the students or alums generated in the interim seem to know or care that there are sports teams performing on behalf of the university, I think the athletic department should simply rebrand the team and play under whatever name sounds cool. I mean, who is going to complain? I for one think UF-Miami sounds way better than FIU, for as the very same person who brought up the only other viable alternative--Miami State--admits, that name is somewhat oxymoronic, or perhaps we should say simply, moronic. Although Sweetwater State does have a euphonious ring about it.

No one can doubt that as college names go, FIU is about the lamest ever. At least FAU has a geographical appropriateness to it. Our name sounds like that of a rootless for-profit institution (anyone ever heard of U.S. International in CA?) and that is a big reason why the administration is working hard to drop "Florida International University" and replace it with FIU. The place was dreamed up back in the 1960's by what were basically a bunch of hippie professors and they reasoned at the time that since we would never amount to anything much, why not have some dumbass name sort of like the UC Irvine students voted in "Anteaters" as a mascot about the same time.

The problem is that what seemed cool at the time has now come home to roost, and no matter how much we accomplish, when the name Florida International University is heard is boardrooms distant from Miami,
there will always be folks who scrunch up their faces as if someone in the expensive leather chair next to them has just passed gas and wonder, "Florida International? Is that one of those places like Liberty or Oral Roberts or Keiser, dreamed up by some nincompoop?"


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:06 am   
Golden Panther

Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:43 pm
Posts: 2595
The school makes the name, the name doesn't make the school. UCLA isn't great because UCLA sounds good. Duke isn't great because Duke sounds good. It's because they are good schools. If the name is changed, whatever it is changed to, people will find a way to make fun of it and complain. I don't think the name is holding FIU back from anything. Build the FIU brand.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:36 am   
Golden Panther

Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:25 am
Posts: 667
You are absolutely correct, Dynasty. It may be that in 100 years or so, people will understand that FIU is an excellent school located in Miami, just as they have learned that Duke, heavily endowed virtually from the day it opened its doors, is an excellent school located somewhere around Appalachia. As for UCLA, its name says exactly where it is located, in a California hamlet just south of Santa Barbara.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:56 pm   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:44 pm
Posts: 989
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Building A Dynasty wrote:
The school makes the name, the name doesn't make the school. UCLA isn't great because UCLA sounds good. Duke isn't great because Duke sounds good. It's because they are good schools. If the name is changed, whatever it is changed to, people will find a way to make fun of it and complain. I don't think the name is holding FIU back from anything. Build the FIU brand.


I agree with that... to a point. If FIU starts winning national championships, then the name doesn't really matter. People always flock to a winner. Especially in South Florida.

My bigger point is what does FIU as a name actually mean to the South Florida community? What does the average person think of when they hear FIU? Is it good? Is it bad? Who knows? I suspect bad, personally, but I don't pretend to know for sure. If any branding studies have been done, I've never seen them.

I have always believed that one of the biggest reasons the University of Miami has as big a fan base as it has (besides the football and baseball success, of course) is because it represents the area to the nation. People who support the U tend to be people who love Miami as an area. They're often not alums.

They're proud to be from Miami and everything it stands for. They don't really care that the school doesn't represent Miami (not as far as student body, anyway) or that it's in Coral Gables. Have you ever heard a UM fan complain that the campus isn't, technically, in Miami? I haven't.

We all know FIU is way more representative of South Florida, good and bad. Let's not pretend that the "International" part is all that significant to the school's identity. It's not. The vast majority of students are from the 305 and probably always will be. So why isn't the school embracing that? Why stay with some generic name that, honestly, could be located anywhere in Florida?

In other words... why not tap into that sense of community pride? A pride, by the way, that will make it easier to draw and keep fans. Sports fans tend to be territorial. FIU branding itself more closely to the community will likely be able to reap the benefits should the teams start performing at high levels. Even if it doesn't, at least you're repping where you come from, and that would probably mean more to the average FIU student than FIU itself.

Diagodog wrote:
When Mitch Maidique came aboard as President back in the 80's, he floated the idea of a change to University of Florida--Miami, reasoning that since the school is part of the UF system, such a name made sense (think UC-Davis, UC-Berkeley, etc). The two dozen or so FIU alumni at the time pissed and moaned to such a degree that the idea was dropped. However, since most of those aggrieved at the time are probably too senile now to compose a coherent sentence of protest and since none of the students or alums generated in the interim seem to know or care that there are sports teams performing on behalf of the university, I think the athletic department should simply rebrand the team and play under whatever name sounds cool. I mean, who is going to complain? I for one think UF-Miami sounds way better than FIU, for as the very same person who brought up the only other viable alternative--Miami State--admits, that name is somewhat oxymoronic, or perhaps we should say simply, moronic. Although Sweetwater State does have a euphonious ring about it.

No one can doubt that as college names go, FIU is about the lamest ever. At least FAU has a geographical appropriateness to it. Our name sounds like that of a rootless for-profit institution (anyone ever heard of U.S. International in CA?) and that is a big reason why the administration is working hard to drop "Florida International University" and replace it with FIU. The place was dreamed up back in the 1960's by what were basically a bunch of hippie professors and they reasoned at the time that since we would never amount to anything much, why not have some dumbass name sort of like the UC Irvine students voted in "Anteaters" as a mascot about the same time.

The problem is that what seemed cool at the time has now come home to roost, and no matter how much we accomplish, when the name Florida International University is heard is boardrooms distant from Miami,
there will always be folks who scrunch up their faces as if someone in the expensive leather chair next to them has just passed gas and wonder, "Florida International? Is that one of those places like Liberty or Oral Roberts or Keiser, dreamed up by some nincompoop?"


I can understand why UF-Miami never took off. That's a bad name. Sounds like a UF satellite campus. Who wants to be known as a satellite anything?

It's not as simple as it sounds. FIU is taxpayer-funded. You can't just change the name. There's all sorts of consequences to be accounted for.

I kind of like Anteaters, but I'm weird like that. There's another UC school (Santa Barbara, I think) called Banana Slugs. It may be weird, but at least it's unique. You can build an identity around it. That's why Sunblazers intrigues me. It's the kind of mascot you can turn into pretty much whatever you want.

I agree that FIU is kind of a dumb name... but you don't change it just because it's dumb. Lots of schools have dumb names. You change it because it'll connect you better to the community which supports you and which you, as a school, represent. That's why "Miami" or "South Florida" has to be in there somewhere.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:10 pm   
Cougar
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:39 pm
Posts: 206
I think south Florida state university is the only good option left. I would love Miami integrated in the name but it's not going to happen. SF_State could have a good ring to it. it works for NCState and I think it can work for us too..

Honesty FIU is not terrible, Florida international university is though (even Butch thinks so). No other school has International in their name for a good reason. It's Irrelevant, which is something else I've heard people say the I in FIU stands for.

As far as panthers I think it's a good solid name. At least it makes sense, even thought we basically copied Pitt, colors included. But at least the panther is relevant to Florida. IMO we have the top 4 mascot in the state. Seminoles, Hurricanes and gators, along with panthers, is Florida relevant. Owls, knights and Bulls are definitely not. So in that department I think we're good, however sunblazers can be parts of our sports and game day tradition.

I don't see FIU's name being changed unfortunately. The president is too narrow minded and so is the BOT. But we can at least change our color shades and use sunblazers more often.


Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Style originally created by Volize © 2003 • Redesigned SkyLine by MartectX © 2008 - 2009