It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:39 pm

DANGER: Groupthink

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:10 pm   
Cougar

I think south Florida state university is the only good option left. I would love Miami integrated in the name but it's not going to happen. SF_State could have a good ring to it. it works for NCState and I think it can work for us too..

Honesty FIU is not terrible, Florida international university is though (even Butch thinks so). No other school has International in their name for a good reason. It's Irrelevant, which is something else I've heard people say the I in FIU stands for.

As far as panthers I think it's a good solid name. At least it makes sense, even thought we basically copied Pitt, colors included. But at least the panther is relevant to Florida. IMO we have the top 4 mascot in the state. Seminoles, Hurricanes and gators, along with panthers, is Florida relevant. Owls, knights and Bulls are definitely not. So in that department I think we're good, however sunblazers can be parts of our sports and game day tradition.

I don't see FIU's name being changed unfortunately. The president is too narrow minded and so is the BOT. But we can at least change our color shades and use sunblazers more often.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:51 am   
Golden Panther

SP1029 wrote:
I think south Florida state university is the only good option left. I would love Miami integrated in the name but it's not going to happen. SF_State could have a good ring to it. it works for NCState and I think it can work for us too..

Honesty FIU is not terrible, Florida international university is though (even Butch thinks so). No other school has International in their name for a good reason. It's Irrelevant, which is something else I've heard people say the I in FIU stands for.

As far as panthers I think it's a good solid name. At least it makes sense, even thought we basically copied Pitt, colors included. But at least the panther is relevant to Florida. IMO we have the top 4 mascot in the state. Seminoles, Hurricanes and gators, along with panthers, is Florida relevant. Owls, knights and Bulls are definitely not. So in that department I think we're good, however sunblazers can be parts of our sports and game day tradition.

I don't see FIU's name being changed unfortunately. The president is too narrow minded and so is the BOT. But we can at least change our color shades and use sunblazers more often.

Actually the bulls and owls are. Knights is just some Medieval Times BS.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:30 am   
Golden Panther

Or we could just stick with FIU. It would probably help if Alumni wouldn't spend energy actively campaigning to change the name. Something about a united front or something...

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:19 am   
Golden Panther

pikedanny wrote:
Or we could just stick with FIU. It would probably help if Alumni wouldn't spend energy actively campaigning to change the name. Something about a united front or something...

I'm in... just embrace it. We go by FIU anyway... no one on campus goes by Florida International

Are we really still on this?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:03 am   
Golden Panther

FIU Beisbol wrote:
pikedanny wrote:

I'm in... just embrace it. We go by FIU anyway... no one on campus goes by Florida International

Are we really still on this?

Offseason...

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:48 pm   
Golden Panther

Yeah, the University of California at Los Angles is a loser name for a school if I ever heard one. Who would want to go to a satellite campus like that? UCLA, what a chump name.

BTW, what do I think the chances of the school ever changing its name are? About the same as us winning the national championship game next year, or maybe less.

This is just off season BS, as someone correctly points out, exacerbated by the fact that no one wants to talk about the real dilemma (other than the hot dog situation) facing the team for next year: the QB situation.

I am beginning to wonder if BD all along had his eye on someone he thought was going to transfer in (or sign) who simply has not. How else do you explain where we are? Clearly he knew Maurice was not the answer: he switched him to slot receiver, for heaven's sakes. And if he thought 10 cents worth of Christian Alexander, he would have let him play in the bowl game. No one else has played a down at the position, and the guy who is coming in as heir-apparent lost his job at a less than mid-major tractor-pulling institution. Yeah, yeah, yeah I know his coaches are Neanderthals and he was a 4-star recruit and I sure as heck hope he does blossom here, but what I am asking is how a coaching genius gets himself in this situation? Or what does he know that he isn't talking to anyone about? Come on guys, enough about South Florida State. Can't we talk about something that is actually going to take shape in a few weeks?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:38 pm   
Golden Panther

Diagodog wrote:
Yeah, the University of California at Los Angles is a loser name for a school if I ever heard one. Who would want to go to a satellite campus like that? UCLA, what a chump name.

BTW, what do I think the chances of the school ever changing its name are? About the same as us winning the national championship game next year, or maybe less.

This is just off season BS, as someone correctly points out, exacerbated by the fact that no one wants to talk about the real dilemma (other than the hot dog situation) facing the team for next year: the QB situation.

I am beginning to wonder if BD all along had his eye on someone he thought was going to transfer in (or sign) who simply has not. How else do you explain where we are? Clearly he knew Maurice was not the answer: he switched him to slot receiver, for heaven's sakes. And if he thought 10 cents worth of Christian Alexander, he would have let him play in the bowl game. No one else has played a down at the position, and the guy who is coming in as heir-apparent lost his job at a less than mid-major tractor-pulling institution. Yeah, yeah, yeah I know his coaches are Neanderthals and he was a 4-star recruit and I sure as heck hope he does blossom here, but what I am asking is how a coaching genius gets himself in this situation? Or what does he know that he isn't talking to anyone about? Come on guys, enough about South Florida State. Can't we talk about something that is actually going to take shape in a few weeks?

I think his thought is that we have two freshman that are developing, and that Morgan simply needs real coaches.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:14 pm   
Golden Panther

Everyone is hung up on Christian Alexander, but I hear no one talking about Kaylan Wiggins... Wiggins was actually recruited by BD. He has just as much of a shot to be the starter as Christian. I would say the same about Lynum, but he still needs to learn the offense.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:50 pm   
Golden Panther

I get it that many think that all Morgan needs is the blessing of BD to become the next Ken Dorsey, but Morgan is a kind of rabbit who popped out of a hat after Signing Day. Up until then, BD was heading into next year with a backup he virtually threw off the team, another guy he wouldn't let play a single down the entire previous year, and a rising sophomore whom it seems no one on the planet has seen take a snap, along with an incoming freshman of no particular hype. It would suggest that unless something fell into his lap, he would be going with Kaylan.

Here is something else. So far as I can tell, both Morgan and Alexander are prototypical pocket passers. I don't know if Morgan can move, but I am betting that Alexander cannot.

Wiggins and Lynum are, I think, dual-threat types. Until Morgan popped up, was BD thinking of tinkering with his offense, or was he confident Wiggins could adapt.

I just find it all pretty curious. Mark Richt has had no qualms about admitting his QB situation is way, way up in the air. I'd say that in contrast, ours is in the outer stratosphere, but nobody seems to want to talk about it.