It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:42 am

A Prediction - FIU's Best Ever RB

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:41 pm   
Golden Panther

I'm going to make a prediction here...

I know running back is one of our deepest positions groups heading into this season. I expect Anthony Jones to be our #1 back by game three. I love the way he runs. Don't get me wrong, I love Shawndarrius Phillips, too, one of the real surprises of last season. And I'm a big fan of Napolean Maxwell, a great comeback story. And there's a lot to be excited about D'Vonte Price and his speed on the outside. I'd love to see him get more touches.

But...

I think the best running back on our roster is none of the above. In fact, our best RB may not even carry the ball this year. He is likely to be redshirted. I'm not talking about Shaun Peterson, the big back who will be a real contributor, even this year.

I'm talking about freshman DeMarcus Townsend.

Barring any serious injury, I think DeMarcus will be FIU's all-time leading rusher by the time he graduates. I think he's got T.Y. Hilton-type of ability. I know he had a bad knee injury in high school. But if he gets back to 100% health, I think we've got a real game-changer on our hands for the next four years.

That's my two cents. If I'm wrong, I'll dig this thread up four years from now and admit it.

Either way, I'll I wish all of our RB's the best this year.

Official Name:
State University of Florida at Miami, or
Miami State University of Florida, or
Miami Florida State University

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:03 am   
Golden Panther

SouthPaw, I can see this. Assuming he comes back from the injury and is his old self, he will be the most physically talented back FIU has ever had. The injury is a big question mark though. A big part of being a successful running back is not just running fast in a straight line, but being quick laterally. Many RBs have come back from knee injuries and have still been successful though.

That being said, can we please give D'Vonte Price more touches!? The dude averaged 8.7 yards per carry!!! Feed that man. I am a huge Price fan.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:53 am   
Juvenile Panther

Building A Dynasty wrote:
SouthPaw, I can see this. Assuming he comes back from the injury and is his old self, he will be the most physically talented back FIU has ever had. The injury is a big question mark though. A big part of being a successful running back is not just running fast in a straight line, but being quick laterally. Many RBs have come back from knee injuries and have still been successful though.

That being said, can we please give D'Vonte Price more touches!? The dude averaged 8.7 yards per carry!!! Feed that man. I am a huge Price fan.

I second this. Price showed some serious flashes his freshman year. Don't sleep on Anthony Jones though. Dude can straight ball. Still remember how he chose us over Miami. Look for him to run extra hard Sept 22nd.

- GPSC

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:13 am   
Puma

I'll join the #moretouchesforprice campaign , i've mentione here before he is the most elusive player we've had since TY in my opinion.

You could for sure be right about Townsend though, kid's a baller. Will have a real chance to shine the following season, we are way too stacked at RB to waste a perfect red-shirt candidate in 2018.