It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:32 am

ESPN predicts FIU to win 2 games

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:53 pm   
Cougar

http://www.espn.com/college-football/te ... &year=2018

Have the other conference teams made any crazy moves? Or does espn have no faith

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 8:47 am   
Golden Panther

weekend_warrior wrote:
http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/fpi?id=2229&year=2018

Have the other conference teams made any crazy moves? Or does espn have no faith

Quote:
factors used in the preseason model include:

Team performance over the past four seasons (most emphasis on last season)

Returning starters at quarterback, on offense overall and on defense

Whether a team has a returning head coach

Recruiting rankings over the past four seasons

We check only one of those boxes, and that is Butch is back.

It will be interesting to look back on in December.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:19 am   
Golden Panther

Where are you getting two wins from? I see a projected record of about 5-7:

Quote:
Projected W-L 4.9 - 7.1 (97)

Regardless, in our case, these projections weight past performance (as in past four years) way too highly in my opinion. For example, ESPN only gives FAU a 16.6% chance of winning C-USA again this, while they are clearly the favorites. On the other hand, Marshall has a 31.4% chance... Huh?

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:07 pm   
Cougar

I went by the odds per game they gave, with pine bluff and rice being "winning percentages" and then charlotte being 50-50.

And yeah, I see people riding high on Marshall, wonder why

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:51 pm   
Golden Panther

I think people are probably thinking that us and the hooters out performed, and that there will be a reversion to the mean. However, they just aren't taking into account the overall upgrades in coaching and the potential emergence of impact players.

We have what, four four-star players on D? Two four-star players on O? Multiple high three-star players across the field? There has been an enormous talent upgrade, and this is a proven staff. I am not saying we win the conference, but top three in the conference is certainly attainable again.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:01 pm   
Golden Panther

JulesFIU07 wrote:
I think people are probably thinking that us and the hooters out performed, and that there will be a reversion to the mean. However, they just aren't taking into account the overall upgrades in coaching and the potential emergence of impact players.

We have what, four four-star players on D? Two four-star players on O? Multiple high three-star players across the field? There has been an enormous talent upgrade, and this is a proven staff. I am not saying we win the conference, but top three in the conference is certainly attainable again.

I dont' think anyone is suggesting the Hooters "out performed" they are favorites going in. USAToday ranks them at no. 17 (weird ranking; not Top 25, just a relative ranking). Everything Kiffin has touched at Boca has turned to Gold and he is expected to start the FSU QB and has the best RB is CUSA. so yeah, there's that.

With regards to us, yeah, they think Butch was Phenomenal last year and that we should regress this year. How do you regress with more talent? Your QB is awful.
So, he and Rich have to be able to do something with Morgan or we may be in that 6 win (scratching for bowl game range).

If Morgan is good, we will be is a battle with FAU for the East again.

PS... Butch was awesome last year except for two moments (ODU and Temple).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:19 am   
Golden Panther

I'd figured I would list some preseason rankings for FIU here:

Athlon: 102 https://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-all-130-college-football-teams

Orlando Sentinel: 122 http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college-football-rankings/os-sp-college-football-rankings-fiu-0427-story.html

ESPN: 115 http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings

SB Nation: 120 https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/2/9/16994486/2018-college-football-rankings-projections

Sports on Earth: 98 http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/265299454/early-college-football-rankings-130-fbs-2018

College Football News: 98 https://collegefootballnews.com/2018/03/2018-spring-college-football-rankings-lookaheads-no-1-to-130/2

No one is really expecting much from FIU this year, except for us....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:31 pm   
Golden Panther

The reason why all these cabrones rank us poorly is because we've always been a relatively bad team. We haven't done anything in the grand scheme of things to change our historical narrative. Yes, we had a nice record last year but then stunk up our bowl game. Until we don't provide a seismic shift, the narrative will continue. Having some OOC quality wins would go a long way,starting with Indiana.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:07 pm   
Juvenile Panther

DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS. It does not matter what the pundits write or say about our transition to a new QB, it could be a simple game manager and we will still dominate becausr of our defense. The defense has upgraded at ever position over last year and with Silva at OLB, get ready for a 9 to 10 win 2018 season and a bowl game.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:35 pm   
Golden Panther

Quijote wrote:
The reason why all these cabrones rank us poorly is because we've always been a relatively bad team. We haven't done anything in the grand scheme of things to change our historical narrative. Yes, we had a nice record last year but then stunk up our bowl game. Until we don't provide a seismic shift, the narrative will continue. Having some OOC quality wins would go a long way,starting with Indiana.

The reason is four fold:
1. We lost the QB that carried us and the Bowl Game was evidence that there was no one on the Roster. The Spring game Roster didn't list him and the Defense won the game; removing the free points of that last score.

2. We lost Program all-time Rushing leader.

3. We lost best WR since TY.

And 4; lazy writers!!

If it we're purely due to historic short comings, FAU would be right next to us.