It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:31 am

Random Thoughts...

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:53 am   
Cougar

Hey Fellow Panther Fans,
Some random thoughts on recently posted topics on this board:
1. This coming season will be as successful as last year's because of the incredible job Butch Davis has done in recruiting. The quality of incoming players far exceeds any previous class we have had and many of these players (at DT, OT for instance) will make significant impact immediately. To use a cliche, this is where the game is won - in the trenches and where we were always at a disadvantage. No more!
2. As far as the best QB in FIU history, in my opinion it is still Paul McCall. He may not have been the "best athlete" at the position but he "carried the team" for 3 years which lacked talent at many positions and was coached by a guy that had no confidence in him and, in addition, was a terrible game day coach (MC). By the way, C. Alexander is clearly the #2. Why he didn't play against Temple in the bowl game is still mystifying to me.
3. Our wide receiving corps is deep and talented. Previous starters are going to be back-ups/role players now. S. Thorton, B. Singleton, D. Price (in the slot on occasion), C.J. Worton, I. Thomas (freshman), potentially C. Gaskin etc. That's a lot of potential play makers on the field at any one time. Remember, we had our largest point totals in the last three games of the season (excluding the bowl game) WITHOUT T. Owens in the lineup.
4. In my opinion, the best running backs in school history were R. Smith and K. Rhodes. We have been very fortunate in recent years to have some great backs. Will D. Townsend eventually be one? Time will eventually tell but once again, this season we will still be incredibly deep and talented. Coach Davis has a history of recruiting explosive RB's so the best is yet to come.
5. These idiots that are predicting that we will only win 4-6 games are clueless. Yes, we lost our starting QB, RB blah, blah, blah. They said the same thing in last year's prognostication. The over/under for wins was 4.5. and we ended with 8 wins. We have upgraded at virtually every position including QB. I know James Morgan is new to the system but look at what the coaching staff did with A. McGough in one year - as many of us have pointed out previously. Morgan may not be equally athletic but appears to have a better arm. I have complete confidence in what he and the coaching stall will accomplish next year. Interested in what y'all have to say as always. FIUPhil

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:57 am   
Golden Panther

Hi Phil,

I think you raise some interesting points.

1) I would argue this is the best/deepest O-line and D-line combo FIU has ever had in the program's history. The Butch Davis effect is legit. I have a feeling the incoming D-line class may be just as good as last year's.

2) Why Christian Alexander didn't play in the bowl game will be one FIU's greatest mysteries of all time.

3) I think our WR group has potential, but I'm not totally convinced it is full of playmakers. The more senior guys are simply possession receivers (Maloney has some potential to be more than that, but we'll see). Singleton and Thornton are more talented than the older guys, or at least I think so, but they have yet to prove they can consistently beat DBs. Singleton did close out the season nicely. We did sign a lot of freshmen WRs (4?) and 3 TEs, which suggests to me BD is not happy with the level of play from the WR group. I think Turner and Dillard need to put on more weight before they can play and are likely redshirt candidates. Who knows if we will ever see Gaskin. Underwood was an early enrollee so he may see playing time this year. I like Underwood the most out of the group, with Dillard being a close second. Ivan Thomas won't really play WR. He's more of an H-back, but indeed has great hands. I honestly think Sterling Palmer might be the sleeper of the 2018 class.

4) K Rhodes was a special talent that was wasted due to dumb life choices. Alas. And speaking of RBs.... D'Vonte Price needs more touches! #FeedPrice

5) I honestly have no clue how FIU will finish this year. It all depends on QB play. I can see as many as 9 wins and as few as 4 wins. This is the most up for grabs season I can recently recall. But I'm super excited for it. Go Panthers!

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:30 am   
Cougar

Thanks Dynasty,

Good points on I. Thomas - as you said, he really is an H-Back. I agree with your assessment of Palmer being a possible sleeper and Underwood possibly emerging as a surprise. In high school, Underwood could get vertical. As far as D. Price is concerned, you are absolutely correct - the more touches he gets, the more big plays are probable. Thanks for the insight - one thought to relieve some of your concern at QB. Coach Davis has it covered and will NOT go through the humiliation that he did after the bowl game - I guarantee it! FIUPhil

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:39 am   
Golden Panther

Echoing much of what has been posted on this thread. I presume there is a place where one can wager on the over under for FIU wins; if I find it, and 2 is indeed the magic number, I am going to avail myself of the opportunity. I agree with Dynasty that depending on the quality of QB play, next year could actually surpass last year in win total. I don't know that we have a lot of depth in the trenches, but at least we have trenches, for the first time in program history. I suspect the upgrade along both lines is going to be something of a surprise for some of the better teams we play. We may have won a couple with smoke and mirrors last year, but I think this is the year that we might just pound a few teams into submission. When is August, anyway?

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:36 pm   
Golden Panther

I'm continuing the deadly GROUPTHINK Mentality.

I thought RT had sufficient talent to go Bowling, it seemed like every year we were sitting at 4-5 wins with 3-4 games to go and the difference was let down loses to FAU (2-10), UTSA (3-9), UMASS twice!!, North Texas (5-7) and one "Magoo" (action verb) of a Pick 6 vs MTSU...so seeing Butch win 8 with mostly Turners players was not a huge "surprise" as many of the Magazines/Experts claim it to be.

Any ways, Butch got the very best out of McG last year (Extremely similar to his 2015 year; sophomore year) with the biggest improvement being on the "leadership" intangibles and limited his INTs.

So, I'll bank that Butch and Skrosky will get the most out of Captain Morgan and/or whom ever.

With FIUPhil I agree that Butch has dramatically improved the recruiting and those guys will start along side the Turner guys talented enough to win the jobs (because he did recruit some talent; it's pretty clear the issue of the RT years was RT). The OL still prominently features 3 players recruited by RT (as of Spring Game). The DL still prominently features one RT Player, both CBs are RT's and so forth.... Point is, the team is as talented as last years if not more at every position including WR (based on the final games played without TO).

2. Best QB in school history? Yes McGough (ultimately thanks to Butch), followed by Wesley and Paul. How anyone can make an argument for a guy that has 25 total attempts is beyond me. :shock:

3. WR's; TO deserved a shot at an NFL Camp. He was literally McG's safety net after Jonnu graduated and even had more receptions in 2016. But there is enough talent to make up for such a huge loss. Specially to a new QB who will need to build trust on the players, so he is not "missing" his favorite target.

4. Best RB? yes, KR. But Alex Garner ran behind some god-awful Shankweiler OLs! Still, the deepest position with many guys that can carry the load. #FeedPrice

5. None of these "Experts" have taken the time to evaluate the replacements of Garner/Owens/McG. 4-5 wins is a horrible prediction. I'm thinking, 6 Wins if the QB position is shaky, 9 wins if QB position is stable. 11 Wins if QB position is Improved.

#PawsUP

fiuphil wrote:
Hey Fellow Panther Fans,
Some random thoughts on recently posted topics on this board:
1. This coming season will be as successful as last year's because of the incredible job Butch Davis has done in recruiting. The quality of incoming players far exceeds any previous class we have had and many of these players (at DT, OT for instance) will make significant impact immediately. To use a cliche, this is where the game is won - in the trenches and where we were always at a disadvantage. No more!
2. As far as the best QB in FIU history, in my opinion it is still Paul McCall. He may not have been the "best athlete" at the position but he "carried the team" for 3 years which lacked talent at many positions and was coached by a guy that had no confidence in him and, in addition, was a terrible game day coach (MC). By the way, C. Alexander is clearly the #2. Why he didn't play against Temple in the bowl game is still mystifying to me.
3. Our wide receiving corps is deep and talented. Previous starters are going to be back-ups/role players now. S. Thorton, B. Singleton, D. Price (in the slot on occasion), C.J. Worton, I. Thomas (freshman), potentially C. Gaskin etc. That's a lot of potential play makers on the field at any one time. Remember, we had our largest point totals in the last three games of the season (excluding the bowl game) WITHOUT T. Owens in the lineup.
4. In my opinion, the best running backs in school history were R. Smith and K. Rhodes. We have been very fortunate in recent years to have some great backs. Will D. Townsend eventually be one? Time will eventually tell but once again, this season we will still be incredibly deep and talented. Coach Davis has a history of recruiting explosive RB's so the best is yet to come.
5. These idiots that are predicting that we will only win 4-6 games are clueless. Yes, we lost our starting QB, RB blah, blah, blah. They said the same thing in last year's prognostication. The over/under for wins was 4.5. and we ended with 8 wins. We have upgraded at virtually every position including QB. I know James Morgan is new to the system but look at what the coaching staff did with A. McGough in one year - as many of us have pointed out previously. Morgan may not be equally athletic but appears to have a better arm. I have complete confidence in what he and the coaching stall will accomplish next year. Interested in what y'all have to say as always. FIUPhil

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:49 am   
Cougar

Chia - you make several good points. We will not regress. There is simply too much talent to do so, especially with this coaching staff. Your evaluation of tne number of wins we have based on the quality of play from the QB position is spot on. I'm betting it will be, at tne very least, equal to last year. My preliminary prediction for this upcoming season is........ MINIMUM 8-4 or a more probable 9-3! FIUPhil

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:29 pm   
Puma

All very good points, i agree this will be a different team than last year but probably very similar results (in terms of wins and loses) .

We may very well have not only one, but multiple future NFL first round picks in our 2018 Panthers.

Should be a great season, can't believe Butch Davis is our coach still.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:52 pm   
Golden Panther

I just wish I knew what BD's thinking regarding his QB situation for 2019 was as he prepared for recruiting season. At the end of the 2018 season he had only one pure passer on the team, but he did not let that kid play a single down in the bowl game after the starter was knocked out. I doubt very much that he had his eye on Morgan in January (I could be wrong, I suppose) and he certainly couldn't bank on attracting a freshman capable of taking over a team--certainly the array of prospects and the ultimate signees don't reflect this as a strategy. And Maurice doesn't figure in the thinking obviously, since BD demoted him to water carrier posthaste. Was he praying that someone like Morgan would turn up? Did he decide that if all else failed, Kaylin Wiggins might well be his guy--but wouldn't that mean tinkering with his pro-style offense, or kind of settling for just an OK QB in 2018? Did he hold Alexander out of the bowl game in hopes he could petition for another year of eligibility? Was he thinking, oh the heck with it, we will make do for 2018 with an eye toward grooming a QB and being real good in 2019? But who could he have been thinking about grooming in 2018? The dual threat freshman recruit from upstate with so-so credentials? Wiggins? Did he have Morgan in his back pocket long before word got out?

We are not talking about some secondary position on the team, after all--I just find it hard to believe that a coach of BD's stature would be sort of cruising along, thinking "Oh, whatever. We'll find SOMEone to take the snaps."

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:03 pm   
Golden Panther

Diagodog wrote:
I just wish I knew what BD's thinking regarding his QB situation for 2019 was as he prepared for recruiting season. At the end of the 2018 season he had only one pure passer on the team, but he did not let that kid play a single down in the bowl game after the starter was knocked out. I doubt very much that he had his eye on Morgan in January (I could be wrong, I suppose) and he certainly couldn't bank on attracting a freshman capable of taking over a team--certainly the array of prospects and the ultimate signees don't reflect this as a strategy. And Maurice doesn't figure in the thinking obviously, since BD demoted him to water carrier posthaste. Was he praying that someone like Morgan would turn up? Did he decide that if all else failed, Kaylin Wiggins might well be his guy--but wouldn't that mean tinkering with his pro-style offense, or kind of settling for just an OK QB in 2018? Did he hold Alexander out of the bowl game in hopes he could petition for another year of eligibility? Was he thinking, oh the heck with it, we will make do for 2018 with an eye toward grooming a QB and being real good in 2019? But who could he have been thinking about grooming in 2018? The dual threat freshman recruit from upstate with so-so credentials? Wiggins? Did he have Morgan in his back pocket long before word got out?

We are not talking about some secondary position on the team, after all--I just find it hard to believe that a coach of BD's stature would be sort of cruising along, thinking "Oh, whatever. We'll find SOMEone to take the snaps."

Why are people so dismissive of Lynum? He was higher rated than Wiggins coming out of high school. I also assume that Butch was looking at a transfer QB, he brought several down.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:13 pm   
Golden Panther

I'm not dismissing Lynum, but no way would you be thinking that a freshman who at best needs some seasoning is going to be your guy for the upcoming year. I'm just wondering what BD's plan for the most important position on the team was, that's all. It is pretty clear now that they will be all in on Captain Morgan, but he couldn't have known Morgan would be here back when Christian Alexander was cooling his heels on the sidelines at the Bad Boy Gasparilla Fest.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:01 pm   
Golden Panther

Diagodog wrote:
I'm not dismissing Lynum, but no way would you be thinking that a freshman who at best needs some seasoning is going to be your guy for the upcoming year. I'm just wondering what BD's plan for the most important position on the team was, that's all. It is pretty clear now that they will be all in on Captain Morgan, but he couldn't have known Morgan would be here back when Christian Alexander was cooling his heels on the sidelines at the Bad Boy Gasparilla Fest.

Butch's plan appeared to be picking up a transfer, either grad or JUCO. I know he had several visit. I believe that, in the end, we zeroed in on Morgan and Alex Thomson. I happen to think we got the better of the two.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:02 pm   
Golden Panther

Well, the pedigree is a little stronger with Morgan, so it would seem. The Thompson kid probably has more upside athletically speaking, but I agree, I'd rather have someone who has played in the system and been seen as elite at least at some stage of his career. We will need a steady hand at the controls above all. I think that "slightly above average" at the position could get us back to last year's tally.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:05 pm   
Golden Panther

Diagodog wrote:
Well, the pedigree is a little stronger with Morgan, so it would seem. The Thompson kid probably has more upside athletically speaking, but I agree, I'd rather have someone who has played in the system and been seen as elite at least at some stage of his career. We will need a steady hand at the controls above all. I think that "slightly above average" at the position could get us back to last year's tally.

I actually think Morgan looks to be more talented. I think Thomson had better coaching, which might mean he requires less work.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:11 am   
Golden Panther

There are QB grad transfers available every year. It is quite possible Butch was planning on grabbing one after the season all along. He didn't necessarily know Morgan would be available, but he knew he could target someone who would help bring competition to the position.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:07 pm   
Golden Panther

Building A Dynasty wrote:
There are QB grad transfers available every year. It is quite possible Butch was planning on grabbing one after the season all along. He didn't necessarily know Morgan would be available, but he knew he could target someone who would help bring competition to the position.

This I think was the approach, while he developed a QB and kept trying to recruit his signature QB.

He found Captain Morgan, who if it works out can lead 2 seasons and let the development of the young guys or the search for another continue.

We will find out soon.