It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:10 pm

These two quarterbacks are emerging as leading contenders to

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:59 pm   
Site Admin

These two quarterbacks are emerging as leading contenders to start at FIU

Quote:
In a bit of surprise, FIU football coach Butch Davis has told the Miami Herald that fourth-year junior Christian Alexander has “clearly separated” himself from the pack and will enter fall at the top of list in terms of the Panthers’ quarterback position.

But Davis also made it clear that Alexander will have to beat out Bowling Green graduate transfer James Morgan, who enrolled at FIU last month.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/conference-usa/florida-international-university/article212482974.html

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:16 pm   
Golden Panther

And there you have it.

It's Captain Morgan's job to lose.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:57 pm   
Golden Panther

What "pack"?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:02 pm   
Golden Panther

Lol... makes it more confounding why CA didnt get any looks against Temple.

My dad went to Temple. Wouldve loved to have some sort of competition in that game.

Waaaaahhh spilled milk.

Is it Sept 1st yet?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:08 pm   
Puma

Diagodog wrote:
What "pack"?

Kaylan "the pack" Wiggins.

Also i wouldn't mind if we gave Christian a shot, he is a good kid and has played well in games (like it's been mentioned before i know).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:34 pm   
Golden Panther

RoaryIsMyHomeboy wrote:
Lol... makes it more confounding why CA didnt get any looks against Temple.

My dad went to Temple. Wouldve loved to have some sort of competition in that game.

Waaaaahhh spilled milk.

Is it Sept 1st yet?

Weird... my Dad went to Temple also. I wanted to at least see a fair fight in that game. So far, not playing Christian in the bowl game (if he was eligible) was Butch’s biggest blunder at FIU so far.

Let the best man win! Hope they’re both ready. The 2nd stringer is always just one snap away.

Official Name:
State University of Florida at Miami, or
Miami State University of Florida, or
Miami Florida State University

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:36 am   
Golden Panther

I found this line interesting:

Quote:
“Christian’s arm strength is good,” Davis said. “What we to see is him make the same leap [McGough] made in terms of decision-making.”

This gives some hints as to why Christian didn't see much playing time under Butch. I'm guessing someone was throwing a few too many INTs in practice....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:30 am   
Golden Panther

Building A Dynasty wrote:
I found this line interesting:

Quote:
“Christian’s arm strength is good,” Davis said. “What we to see is him make the same leap [McGough] made in terms of decision-making.”

This gives some hints as to why Christian didn't see much playing time under Butch. I'm guessing someone was throwing a few too many INTs in practice....

Probably correct.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:40 am   
Juvenile Panther

Hey Dynasty,
Excellent observation on the Christian Alexander situation. This is classic "coach speak" and is probably the reason why he did not see the field during the bowl game - poor practices during the week (I still suspect that it had something to do with extending his eligibility). Another example of "coach speak" is when we are told that M. Alexander is "a good athlete" - which simply means he is not a QB (I think this is called the "Wayne Younger effect"!). As a high school football and baseball coach, I hear this nonsense all the time. Just thought I would chime in. FIUPhil

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:51 pm   
Golden Panther

I have to agree with Phil as to the primary reason why Christian did not play in the bowl game. I don't care if the kid threw only INTs during the week's practice, when the second-stringer was doing as dreadfully as Maurice was, then you yank him and try the next man up, UNLESS there is some real, practical reason not to, beyond being mildly annoyed or somewhat unsure as to whether or not the third-stringer is capable. My guess is that either BD was hoping to save Christian for a possible sixth year, OR he had been benched for an undisclosed disciplinary reason, or else he would have gone into that bowl game, period.

In any case, I too am glad he now looks to BD and the rest of us like the guy Morgan has to beat out (even if as I suggested earlier, he emerged from a "pack" of one). He may have only attempted 34 passes but just about everyone of them was on a rope (the five yarders as well as the wideouts and deep balls, alas, but that can be fixed). And McGough also had "decision making issues" before BD got hold of him--I'm thinking that BD just wasn't willing to mess with an inconsistent Christian all that much last year, thinking he would turn his full attention to him in 2018 if need be. My only question is concerning his mobility and ability to throw on the run, which apparently he displayed to a degree in high school. We just haven't seen much of that from him.

In any case, it at least sounds good, that BD is suggesting there will be a battle between Christian and Morgan, and it would be great for us if it is really true. Like I said before, I think that "slightly above average at the QB position" would put us in pretty good shape for next year and if we have a bona fide backup at the position, whichever one it is, we would be in a place I don't think we ever have been.