It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:55 am

James Morgan could be the answer for FIU at QB in 2018

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:44 am   
Site Admin

James Morgan could be the answer for FIU at QB in 2018

Quote:
So why is James Morgan on his second school and in the midst of his second quarterback competition? The mystery is in the details and for FIU head coach Butch Davis, cracking that case could be the key to back-to back bowl trips for the Panthers.

The Green Bay, Wisconsin, native came to Bowling Green as the prize recruit of former coach Dino Babers’ 2015 class. However, Morgan’s time at Bowling Green was enigmatic at best.

As a redshirt freshman, he threw for over 2,000 yards and a BGSU freshman record 16 touchdowns in seven starts. However, he regressed the next season and after an 0-3 start, Morgan was benched in favor of freshman Jarret Doege. In seven contests Morgan threw nine touchdowns, but along with those scores came 10 turnovers.

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2018/6/11/17426374/fiu-panthers-football-james-morgan-butch-davis-rich-skrosky-conference-usa-cusa-2018

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:23 pm   
Golden Panther

Thanks, PF. Here's the bottom line from the piece: "For FIU to repeat last year’s success, it’ll depend on if Butch and Skrosky can turn potential into reality with James Morgan." Yeah, either that or if Alexander becomes the guy, then BD will say, "Oh yeah, I was just messing with you all when I didn't put him in the bowl game last year."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:02 am   
Golden Panther

One would have to think Morgan has a higher ceiling than Alexander, due to his stronger arm. However, at the collegiate level, a team can be very successful with an accurate QB without the rocket arm. But that's the thing. We need an accurate QB. And a consistent one. I'm not sure our defense can generate enough turnovers this year to offset sloppy QB play. We ranked T-70 last year in turnovers gained, at 18. That's only 1.5 per game. McGough only threw 8 INTs last year. I will be thrilled if our starting QB this year only throws 8 INTs.