It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:16 pm

I am excited for our defense this year

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:11 am   
Golden Panther

I think our defense will play much better this year than people expect, especially as the season goes on. I think this is one of the most talented defenses FIU has ever had. I am prepared to be wrong. Consider these projected starters (at least from what I have gathered):

DE: Jordan Wood
DT: Teair Tart-Spencer
DT: Tayland Humphrey/Anthony Johnson
DE: Noah Curtis

LB: Sage Lewis
LB: Fermin Silva
LB: Rocky Jacques-Louis/Jamal Gates

CB: Ike Brown
CB: Emmanuel Lubin/Richard Dames
S: Rishard Dames
S: Kiy Hester

Every single one of the guys listed above was at least a 3-star recruit by one recruiting agency. Not only that, but 4 of the projected starters are former 4-star recruits (Wood, Tart-Spencer, Humphrey, and Hester). Yes, yes, stars don't mean everything, but I think to some extent it shows that we have increased our expected talent pool on the defensive side of the ball. We still need to increase the depth of the LBs and secondary, but the staff is working on that.

I would also like to argue against the claim that the defense will be inexperienced, as I've read in many preseason predictions. Everyone listed above got significant playing time last year (some at the JUCO level), with the exception of Jordan Wood, who I am not worried about whatsoever, and Rocky Jacques-Louis, who played spring ball. To me the biggest question mark isn't DB, it's LB. We have to hope switching Fermin to LB pays off and Rocky or someone else can fill in the last LB spot successfully.

I am definitely looking forward to watching this unit play together. #PawsUp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:10 am   
Golden Panther

That defense looks great. We'll all have to wait and see how Silva does at LB. I expect Donovan Georges to be starting by year end at LB. And Tyree Johnson will be in the mix (I believe he moved to LB).

At safety, I expect Dorian Hall to be one of our starters over Dames. Daniel Jackson will also be in the mix. And at CB, Jamal Anderson will push for playing time.

I don't think our LB's will be a problem. They just need experience. Talent-wise, they're as good or better than we've ever had. And with the best DL we've ever had in front of them, they will look even better.

Official Name:
State University of Florida at Miami, or
Miami State University of Florida, or
Miami Florida State University

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:45 pm   
Golden Panther

I agree with both of you guys! How can you not be excited, at least based on talent, about the possibilities this defense will have, particularly towards the end of the season as our young/D1 inexperienced gel?

Potentially, the best defense in our history, talent-wise.

Go Panthers!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:03 pm   
Cougar

Just some extra thought about the d-line. Add Andrew Tarver, Kevin Oliver and Josh Little, all studs, to that depth chart. I will say this again, that will allow us to win a lot of games next year! FIUPhil

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:01 pm   
Golden Panther

fiuphil wrote:
Just some extra thought about the d-line. Add Andrew Tarver, Kevin Oliver and Josh Little, all studs, to that depth chart. I will say this again, that will allow us to win a lot of games next year! FIUPhil

Yeah, I think the DL will be a little different;
DE: Jordan Wood (Noah Curtis)
DT: Teair Tart-Spencer / (R.Colson)
DT: Tayland Humphrey/Anthony Johnson (Tarver)
DE: Joshua Little (Kevin Oliver)

Also, don't discount the possibility of trying to get the best unit out there and that could mean to have a "big" package with Anthony Johnson and Jordan Wood as the DE (with Teair and Tayland at DT).

SO many options for Butch and Holmes; There's Depth all over the DL.
Tarver didn't play in the Spring but Colson did and he is the biggest DL guy we had in the Spring. (needs to get stronger from what I remember, but will provided depth).

At LB,
we may get surprises; but definitely look for Brandon James and Freshman Donovan Georges to get in the mix. This will be a good follow in terms of camp competition.

exciting times...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:00 am   
Juvenile Panther

Sorry to disapoint you Chia, but your jumbo DL lineup will absolutely get our defense gashed for huge yardage on the ground by opposing no hudle offenses. The original DL that was posted I believe takes into account that fact and adequately matches both size, speed, strength and athleticism. A jumbo lineup would be used for a goaline stand or a 4th and short.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:34 am   
Golden Panther

Pantherfan2 wrote:
Sorry to disapoint you Chia, but your jumbo DL lineup will absolutely get our defense gashed for huge yardage on the ground by opposing no hudle offenses. The original DL that was posted I believe takes into account that fact and adequately matches both size, speed, strength and athleticism. A jumbo lineup would be used for a goaline stand or a 4th and short.

Yeah, we didn't bring in an Econoline van of three and four star DEs to not utilize them. We just have a very deep DL this year. Hoping they all stay healthy and dominate the line of scrimmage.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:42 am   
Puma

Pantherfan2 wrote:

That may be true, but there are scenarios where they can play 3 down lineman and 4 LBs with 7 being a run LB. At "Bigger" schools their DE are 260 and above so it may not be as simple as you say that the jumbo DL would get gashed cause the Power 5 DL are jumbo DLs keep that in mind. Their job is to keep the line off the LB and allow them to make plays. the summer is for runner. its the coaches job to get them ready to play the spread.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:36 pm   
Golden Panther

blkpanther wrote:
Pantherfan2 wrote:

That may be true, but there are scenarios where they can play 3 down lineman and 4 LBs with 7 being a run LB. At "Bigger" schools their DE are 260 and above so it may not be as simple as you say that the jumbo DL would get gashed cause the Power 5 DL are jumbo DLs keep that in mind. Their job is to keep the line off the LB and allow them to make plays. the summer is for runner. its the coaches job to get them ready to play the spread.

We are going to have multiple DEs north of 250.

Also, anyone notice JUCO transfer Shacq Williams? 6'5" 310 on the DL.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:25 pm   
Golden Panther

Pantherfan2 wrote:

Wow...perhaps, but I didn't say it "big pacakge" as a permanent fixture. But how about short yardage/Goal line. After a time out?

So many scenarios and so much flexibility and possibilities.

Plus, in the "Big Package" I referenced Jordan Wood is at DE his Natural position and Johnson could side to the other end. Did you know last season was his first at DT?

Anyhow good problems to have.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:50 pm   
Juvenile Panther

pantherfan2 drinking Haterade. Big Saucey's gonna destroy OLines.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:58 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Never a hater and I am excited about the sauce and tge rest of the DL including backups but I just trying relay the message that we have to be stout inside and on the outside. Last year Charlotte and FAU absolutely killed us with speed on the outside but I do believe we will find the right combination.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:02 am   
Golden Panther

Pantherfan2 wrote:
Never a hater and I am excited about the sauce and tge rest of the DL including backups but I just trying relay the message that we have to be stout inside and on the outside. Last year Charlotte and FAU absolutely killed us with speed on the outside but I do believe we will find the right combination.

This. The other day I went back and watched some film from those games and man we got consistently beat to the outside. Whether it was the DE losing contain or the LB hesitating, it was ugly... I would like to see us get faster at the LB spot, but I don't think speed is the current LB group's forte. Even without more speed, a lot of those big gains could have been prevented with better discipline. FIU did get much better in the 2nd half against Charlotte. Nice adjustments were made. That being said... it's Charlotte. Shouldn't have been that close.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:21 am   
Golden Panther

My understanding is that Rocky runs legit in the 4.5s, in the spring game he showed great ability to close on runners from far hash to opposite sideline...Peterson comes in as an accomplished RB in high school and Jamal Gates also has wheels. But, yes we lost contain way too often last year, hoping that gets corrected this summer with a new corps of LBs. If the defensive line can step up as we expect its going to allow these linebackers to read their keys much better and hopefully stop huge gains vs the run.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:51 am   
Golden Panther

FIUPIKE wrote:
My understanding is that Rocky runs legit in the 4.5s, in the spring game he showed great ability to close on runners from far hash to opposite sideline...Peterson comes in as an accomplished RB in high school and Jamal Gates also has wheels. But, yes we lost contain way too often last year, hoping that gets corrected this summer with a new corps of LBs. If the defensive line can step up as we expect its going to allow these linebackers to read their keys much better and hopefully stop huge gains vs the run.

We shouldn't be getting pushed around like we did last year. If these guys can plug the holes or force plays to stretch out long enough for the LBs to get there, it should prevent getting gashed.