It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:11 am

GAMEDAY: F I U @ ucg

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:16 pm   
Golden Panther

485 yards to 48. Didn’t see this coming. Wow.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:17 pm   
Cougar

UM just has bigger, faster guys. Cant compete with that. Just move on, beat Pine Bluff and focus on winning CUSA. We arent going to have our App State/Troy moment yet. Maybe with time

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:21 pm   
Puma

weekend_warrior wrote:
UM just has bigger, faster guys. Cant compete with that. Just move on, beat Pine Bluff and focus on winning CUSA. We arent going to have our App State/Troy moment yet. Maybe with time

Or Old Dominion vs Virginia Tech type of game. Why don't we ever have that type of game, at least close and competitive?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:29 pm   
Cougar

Lets schedule FSU or rutgers. VT hasnt played anyone good.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:30 pm   
Puma

weekend_warrior wrote:

Neither has UM, other than when they got destroyed by LSU

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:33 pm   
Cougar

Panthers2008 wrote:
weekend_warrior wrote:

Neither has UM, other than when they got destroyed by LSU

Miami is different with this dual threat QB. The defense was stuffing Rosier.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:00 pm   
Golden Panther

UM is the most classless football program in the history of college football. They just widened their already substantial lead in that department today. Running a double reverse on 3rd and goal up 31-0? Are you kidding me?

And then going for it on fourth down instead of kicking a field goal?

UM is a complete joke.

I actually respected Mark Richt going into this game. But he proved today beyond any doubt that--like a true 'Cane--he is classless to the core. All respect is gone.

I'm proud of our guys for not quitting and playing to the final whistle.

Official Name:
State University of Florida at Miami, or
Miami State University of Florida, or
Miami Florida State University

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:18 pm   
Puma

31-17 is a respectable score, proud they kept the fight. I JUST WISH that the fumble by the UM QB, that our guy broke the one tackle attempt and got in the end zone. 31-21 would of looked even better. I knew when we were tackled at the 10 that we would not score a TD.

Too many times pushing the run. Should of kept quick passes throughout the game.

But at the end of the day, I trust Butch and 31-17 is a respectable sounding score.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:25 pm   
Cougar

Panthers2008 wrote:
31-17 is a respectable score, proud they kept the fight. I JUST WISH that the fumble by the UM QB, that our guy broke the one tackle attempt and got in the end zone. 31-21 would of looked even better. I knew when we were tackled at the 10 that we would not score a TD.

Too many times pushing the run. Should of kept quick passes throughout the game.

But at the end of the day, I trust Butch and 31-17 is a respectable sounding score.

Better than the previous 2 times. Also, as for running up the score, thats what teams need to do for play off pushes. Theres a reason Penn State is scoring 60 pts on teams after their App State scare.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:42 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Panthers2008 wrote:
weekend_warrior wrote:

Or Old Dominion vs Virginia Tech type of game. Why don't we ever have that type of game, at least close and competitive?

You mean like when we beat Louisville

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:19 pm   
Puma

OhioPanther wrote:
Panthers2008 wrote:
weekend_warrior wrote:

You mean like when we beat Louisville

Ah yes, 7 years ago beating the 7-6 Louisville Cardinals. I remember watching that game.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:02 am   
Golden Panther

Re-watched some of the game. Thoughts:

1) I'm not too disappointed with the defense. The biggest issue was a TON of missed tackles. We could have had them stopped multiple times on TD drives if we wrapped guys in the backfield when we had the chance. Perry for Miami was throwing some dimes out there. I think this is a different football game if Rosier plays the whole game (we still lose though). I'm not sure why the defense didn't prepare to face Perry.

2) Why did we continue to call these slow-developing plays on offense when we knew Morgan didn't have much time to throw? Also, of course Miami has a great D-line, but man, we got consistently got stuffed running the football. Thought the O-line could at least get somewhat of a push.

3) We don't have a QB competition anymore and we need to stop acting like we do. Morgan is the guy. Christian should not see the field much, especially during key first quarter drives. His throws were nowhere near on target. Morgan threw a couple beauties yesterday and is definitely better than Christian. We basically threw away two drives by having Christian throw the football in the 1st quarter. Enough. Get him some reps during garbage time, sure.

4) Fermin Silva is a great edge rusher. The man can ball. I don't care if he is undersized. Going to miss him after this year.

5) That ODU win looks so much better after seeing what ODU did to #13 Virginia Tech last night. Wow. UMass beat the brakes off Charlotte too, up 35-10 at the half. Nice. I like our chances against anyone in conference play.

6) ESPN FPI has us favored to win every single remaining game on the schedule. Let's go.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:29 am   
Golden Panther

As much as I hate to admit this, Miami is much better than I thought. If Perry had been their QB all season, they would have been a top-10 team. They are going to get much better from here on out. If Perry can limit his mistakes for a young guy, they have a shot at winning the ACC. At the end of the year, this lopsided loss will make more sense.

But there is no denying that Skrosky had a horrible game. Nothing creating at all and a complete lack of adjusting to what the defense was showing. Granted, the QB's handed the ball off far too many times in the RPO, but it was very vanilla, easy to defend playcalling. Christian would have been a good move to relieve Morgan if he had run the ball a few times. McGough would have had multiple first downs running it if he were back there. Alexander is much more suited to run it than Morgan.

And once again, we were without our top WR, Bryce Singleton. And not a single touch for Maurice Alexander after his electric game last week. The kid was ready to go, too. How can Skrosky justify that?

We were down 31-0 and didn't run a single trick play. Not one. UM is up 31-0 and is running trick plays down on the 7-yard line on 3rd-and-goal. (There is no debate about going for it on 4th down. I've never seen classy programs do that. They might leave their starters in late in the game like UM did if they want to run up the score, but if they don't convert on 3rd down they kick a field goal and try to score TDs when they get the ball back. It was an indefensible, classless move).

We need help at LB. Sage can't do it all. We have our best ever LB talent (Georges) sitting on the sidelines and the coaches won't put him in. Instead, they play a former walk-on RB.

Official Name:
State University of Florida at Miami, or
Miami State University of Florida, or
Miami Florida State University

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:02 am   
Golden Panther

Our biggest problem, for sure, was the offensive playcalling. It was straight up wretched. That was the worst I've seen in the BD era, beyond any doubt.

I know we're a run-first team... but holy crap, the OL was getting mauled. That dog wasn't going to hunt and it was obvious by the end of the 1st quarter. Slot receivers were literally wide open at the start of plays and FIU kept doing runs. Morgan should've been checking out and throwing every single time that happened.

Speaking of 12... for whatever reason, it seems like he doesn't like to run with the ball. He definitely had a few opportunities to turn the corner on RPO's for big gains. McGough definitely would have.

Miami was literally selling out on run plays the first two downs and pinning their ears back on 3rd and long. How the hell it took until the 3rd quarter to adjust to that is just unreal.

I simply can't imagine that was missed on the sideline. Someone was clearly being too stubborn to change the game plan. I don't think it would've led to a W, but it sure as hell wouldn't have been 31-0 at any point.

D was fine. They just got gassed. You can't expect them to hold up in a situation like that. A lot of those missed tackles, I'm willing to bet, was them just being more and more tired and frustrated as the game went along.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:36 am   
Golden Panther

Sorry to say so, but it seemed as if Ron Turner dialed up that offensive game plan. And true to Turner form we stuck with it all the way to the end, when Miami was playing its third string defense and the plan began to work. Given that most of the teams remaining on the schedule compete on roughly the same level as Miami's defensive backups, this approach may work out, but meantime, any OC with the slightest competency would have done ANYTHING to get the ball in Maurice's hands, have put Christian in to run first and pass second, and basically recognized disaster when it presented itself. I mean 14 total yards in the first half, zero on the ground, half your snaps resulting in ng or loss? And then to come out after half time with your big adjustment rolling Morgan out for swing passes to backs not yet past the line of scrimmage against possibly the fastest edge-setters in the nation? Honestly, how do people who do things like that get and keep jobs?