It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:07 am

GAMEDAY: F I U @ ucg

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:43 pm   
Golden Panther

I was irrationally angry watching the play calling during the first half. So much so that I was lobbying for us to purge ANYONE in the Athletic Department with past ties to UM, because I was convinced we were just letting them win and doing very little to disguise that fact. I mean, what I saw out there was corruption on the part of whomever was calling plays.
I've stepped back from the ledge today. Still befuddled by the play calling, but I've moved beyond the conspiracy theory stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:12 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Why was BD playing it safe with the play calling on Sat? We needed to be more aggressive from the time we took the grass against UM. The OL line was not doing the job, and switching qb's did not help matters, it seem as if we were just spinning our wheels during the game. This was not a good look for the team and or the program. Where was the fire, they played with against UMASS, I didn't see that on Sat, did you?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:06 am   
Golden Panther

OhioPanther wrote:
Panthers2008 wrote:
weekend_warrior wrote:
UM just has bigger, faster guys. Cant compete with that. Just move on, beat Pine Bluff and focus on winning CUSA. We arent going to have our App State/Troy moment yet. Maybe with time

Or Old Dominion vs Virginia Tech type of game. Why don't we ever have that type of game, at least close and competitive?

You mean like when we beat Louisville

That wasn't a ranked team.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:20 am   
Golden Panther

Miami is far and away a better team. Truth is, we could have played a lot better. I don't know if it was the pressure and nerves, but over all we fell flat. FIU can hang with their backups, but UM starters are much better. UM had creative play calling and made adjustments.

FIU O Line got pushed around all game. Our play calling was sub par.

Our defense did just fine, I'm happy with only 31 points against (granted, it would have been much higher had UM not put in their back up players).

On to the next game. I'm hoping this game woke the team up and pushed FIU to win out the rest of the season. There's no one on our schedule we can't beat.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:38 am   
Puma

I agree with all the comments about the play calling and how dumb it was playing CA in the first quarter. However i want to focus on the good things we saw.

Our defense had by far the best game of the season "considering we were playing a ranked team" . They made a lot of plays when we needed them. I mean 2 fourth down stops, a pick, 3 sacks (Silva is a beast), a fumble recovery . We held our own and it would've been a lot better had our offense been able to get a couple of first downs or crazier some points in say 2 drives (first half) .

Also our kicking game is strong, Stone Wilson had a WHALE of a game, consistently flipped the field when we needed it. Even the first punt that got returned was a good one, we just missed a lot of tackles.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:04 am   
Golden Panther

I watched Budwig on a number of plays. No one got past him while I was watching (not to say that didn't happen, I just can't say) and no one could move him. He's not the most mobile guy in the world, but he doesn't screw up. So there is my vote for the "FIU offensive player of the game while facing the Miami First Team Award."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:39 am   
Golden Panther

I think Hooter has the top comment to date: clearly there was collusion between someone calling our plays and UM.

Besides that, I didn't even realize that Christian Alexander had been inserted in the first quarter (too much sweat pouring into my eyes in section 122 and I had been flattened by a woman dragging her heat-stricken children out of that oven.) When I watched the replay on ESPN, though, I again noted that Christian's throwing motion might best be compared to a waiter at Joe's Stone Crab trying to heave a tray full of dirty dishes over the heads of patrons into a distant kitchen. I am serious. How on earth does a guy with a weird shot-put delivery like that manage to seriously challenge anybody? Did he hurt his arm or something? In the Indiana game he managed to complete a few short passes and ran very well, but boy, when he tries to air it out, that ball looks like it could end up anywhere.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:18 pm   
Juvenile Panther

The FIU-UM game was an overall blast. It was a great environment and I saw a ton of FIU fans. If we have a turnout like that at our home games we would have 15K-20K fans every game.

I have the same issues as most here. The play call was tough to watch on Offense. I was concerned last week that CJ didn't get any touches and now I am concerned that M. Alexander didn't get any touches. Hopefully our guys are still working through what will work best in terms of personnel as we gear up for Conference play.

My hope is to run the table up until we face off with FAU at home. I am hoping we can have a huge turnout and make it a real home field advantage.