It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:41 am

Thank You FIU Fans

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:21 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Dear FIU fans,

Thank you for all your support on this message board, on Twitter, via phone calls and text messages over the last few days.

Since I started at the Miami Herald as the FIU beat writer in 2002 – the first year of FIU football – and through my eight years as an FIU employee as the staff writer and play-by-play broadcaster it is because of you good people, and that includes FIU players and coaches, that covering FIU sports was well worth it.

Over the years meeting many of you good people at games, scrimmages, across from FIU at Subrageous like pikedanny said and around town I truly admire your passion, loyalty and knowledge of FIU sports.

During the nearly last two decades it’s been my privilege covering FIU sports but unfortunately that came to an end last Monday when I received an FIU notice that read “due to adverse financial circumstances” in the athletic department “your position has been abolished”.

I won’t go into the weeds about the problems in the athletic department on this post. That might be for another day.

Instead, I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you all for being a big part of some of my most cherished moments in FIU sports history.

Throughout my time covering FIU it was a pleasure to talk and interact with you all on the Golden Panther Prowl blog that I ran at the Herald, through your e-mails, in person and through Twitter on the radio broadcasts.

You provided great feedback to all that I wrote and what I said on the broadcasts. I especially enjoyed our time during the baseball broadcasts when you would chime in on Twitter with your thoughts and opinions.

It’s amazing to me that some of you still remember the stories and anecdotes I told during the broadcasts such as those of Brother Jasper or my 4th of July at Coors Field, plus our discussions like the one of why dogs are the best animals.

We had great times – times that I will never forget.

And we were all a part of some great FIU moments such as:

-2002 inaugural football game against St. Peter’s

-NCAA record-tying four pick-sixes in 52-6 thrashing of FAU in Shula Bowl IV.

-Being the only Miami college football team to close out the Orange Bowl with a win in the romp over North Texas in 2007. The Coral Gables football team got shutout in their last OB game or UCG as they are more commonly known around FIU.

By the way, some FIU employees that are UCG fans don’t like the UCG moniker but like I tell them if you are employed by FIU and you are on the FIU clock, wearing FIU gear at an FIU game or event or on an FIU plane or bus then you root for FIU. When you are off the FIU clock and somewhere else you can wear your green and orange pajamas and root for whoever you want. But I digress.

-Hilton Heave and the Hilton Weave

-Garrett Wittels 56-game hitting streak season, plus the opportunity to get Wittels and Robin Ventura, who has the record 58-game hit streak, together at Wittels’s father’s office for a story was a thrill.

-FIU baseball’s Jobu-inspired 2010 championship season and then the 2015 championship season and the lucky cheese puffs.

-2010 FIU football conference champions season and the magical Pizza Bowl comeback win with the Motor City Miracle

-Richard Pitino taking FIU to the SBC championship game in his lone season as FIU head coach.

-The excitement brought back to FIU baseball under Mervyl Melendez and winning 5 of the last 6 games against UCG. FIU -- City Champs the last two years.

-And FIU returning to a bowl game last season.

It has all been a blast to experience with you good people.

Next Saturday will be the first time since August 28, 2002 that I won’t be covering or broadcasting an FIU football game. FIU started football Aug. 29, 2002.

It will be a tough day but nothing can replace the experience with all of you the last 17 years.

I’ll eventually make it to an FIU game and I’ll be around here.

After all FIU is my alma mater (1996) and I'll always be blue and gold.

Thanks again for the great times,
Pete Pelegrin

Last edited by Pete Pelegrin on Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:43 pm   
Golden Panther

An awesome, big-hearted post, sir. In every setback is the seed of a fabulous opportunity. Cheers and best of luck.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:03 pm   
Golden Panther

Pete , it has always been a pleasure reading your work. You’ve been a professional covering FIU athletics. Over the years, there have been great memories. The 2010 baseball live blog was one of the best experience...the pollos came out. Personally, i enjoyed the mention from where I was listening/watching the baseball games...fritanga Monimbo, pinolandia, Madroño (no offense but you couldn’t pronounce them the correct way). lol

As for athletics, it’s their loss. We’re sure a great opportunity awaits you.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:07 pm   
Golden Panther

This is a sad day for FIU sports.

What class you have, Pete. Thanks for all that you have done for FIU over the years. I truly enjoyed reading your articles and blogs over the years and listening to your broadcasts. You will be greatly missed.

Your dismissal--and especially that excerpt from your notice--speaks volumes about the state of FIU athletics. There is a void of leadership and forward-thinking at our university. You deserve better than that. Far, far better. I hope that you'll stick around this board and around the program.

My hope is that one day someone at FIU will wake up and begin to realize the great potential that our university and athletics program has. But I can't just blame the administration and leadership of FIU. The fans are equally to blame.

The attendance at FIU football games has been dismal. No, worse than dismal. Downright embarrassing. And that's despite the excellent job Coach Davis and staff have been doing. I certainly can't blame the coaches or players. They've been doing their job. But the fans have failed. There is no school pride among students and most alumni. Just apathy and indifference.

This message board is a good example. It's made up of FIU's very best fans. The very best and the most passionate fans we have. And yet a large majority of those on this board don't truly believe FIU deserves to be on the same playing field as major college programs like UM. They simply don't care that FIU isn't respected outside of the state of Florida. They don't care that FIU is thought of as nothing more than another for-profit online college. We might as well be Florida National University or the Florida Institute of Technology.

Something's gotta change. And it's got to change soon. Our university and football program is the biggest waste of potential in the entire country.

Official Name:
State University of Florida at Miami, or
Miami State University of Florida, or
Miami Florida State University

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:08 pm   
Golden Panther

Haber how long it will take for those UCG fans in the FIU athletics department to troll PP?
Que se vayan a la verga esos hijueputas!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:21 pm   
Golden Panther

roary wrote:
Haber how long it will take for those UCG fans in the FIU athletics department to troll PP?

Matamamas and sapos in FIU athletics.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:31 pm   
Site Admin

Yes, they’re still there. Just because they take u to their box and hire butch doesn’t mean that the same ucg apologists aren’t running the show, financially, into the ground. You know why they can’t fundraise more than $.10, it’s because there’s no conviction, there’s no true love for the product, their first love will always be scum.
FIUJM wrote:
roary wrote:

Matamamas and sapos in FIU athletics.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:36 pm   
Golden Panther

SouthPaw wrote:
This is a sad day for FIU sports.

What class you have, Pete. Thanks for all that you have done for FIU over the years. I truly enjoyed reading your articles and blogs over the years and listening to your broadcasts. You will be greatly missed.

Your dismissal--and especially that excerpt from your notice--speaks volumes about the state of FIU athletics. There is a void of leadership and forward-thinking at our university. You deserve better than that. Far, far better. I hope that you'll stick around this board and around the program.

My hope is that one day someone at FIU will wake up and begin to realize the great potential that our university and athletics program has. But I can't just blame the administration and leadership of FIU. The fans are equally to blame.

The attendance at FIU football games has been dismal. No, worse than dismal. Downright embarrassing. And that's despite the excellent job Coach Davis and staff have been doing. I certainly can't blame the coaches or players. They've been doing their job. But the fans have failed. There is no school pride among students and most alumni. Just apathy and indifference.

Great post up to this point...

Turned to crap after...lol.

SouthPaw wrote:
This message board is a good example. It's made up of FIU's very best fans. The very best and the most passionate fans we have. And yet a large majority of those on this board don't truly believe FIU deserves to be on the same playing field as major college programs like UM. They simply don't care that FIU isn't respected outside of the state of Florida. They don't care that FIU is thought of as nothing more than another for-profit online college. We might as well be Florida National University or the Florida Institute of Technology.

Something's gotta change. And it's got to change soon. Our university and football program is the biggest waste of potential in the entire country.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:38 pm   
Golden Panther

More importantly, thanks Pete.

Join us in #Section112 for MTSU.

Time to start a #112podcast

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:55 pm   
Golden Panther

Thank you for your dedication and top level work covering FIU for these many years.

The information and passion you shared in our coverage made it possible to be an informed FIU fan.

FIU is clueless to let so much talent, class and institutional knowledge walk out the door.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:29 am   
Golden Panther

Pete, thank you for your dedication to the program. It's one thing to have an excellent journalist covering the program, and another to have one who is also passionate about doing it. We need more Petes in this program, not less.

Looking forward to having you post on this board more regularly. Always value your insight.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:04 am   
Golden Panther

Pete,

I can't thank you enough for your work and dedication over the years to FIU athletics. Following your twitter and articles has been a staple of mine ever since I began attending FIU in 2006. FIu athletics just won't be the same without your charisma and writing. They may eventually fill your position again in the future, but FIU can never replace you. I truly believe FIU made a mistake letting you go. If finances really are the issue, FIU should have found somewhere else to cut losses. Maybe Pete Garcia's salary should have taken a hit (I'm just suggesting).

Once again Pete, a thousand thank yous for the memories and your dedication. We've enjoyed so many FIU athletics memories. I still consider attending the 2010 bowl game and winning as my favorite sports moment of all time (and I've been to the superbowl). I hope you can join us in person to experience many more. See you around Pete.

FIU Beisbol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:16 am   
Golden Panther

Pete. You will be missed, but you will surely fall on your feet and then some. Big hugs to you, Panther brother.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:58 am   
Puma

Pete,

Thanks so much for all your hard work and dedication. On to bigger and better things. But, don't ever forget that you will always be a part of the Panther Nation.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:58 pm   
Puma

Pete,
I will miss you on the FIU Baseball broadcasts. You brought great insight to the viewers and your stories were great. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

GO BRAVES!!

-Yandro

Profile WWW