It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:55 pm

New class of 2020 commit: Wati Huggins

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:32 pm   
Golden Panther

FIU picked up another commitment today (this is way more commitments by the end of June compared to last year) from Wati Huggins, a 3-star DE/OLB prospect from Miami Northwestern High (transferred from Booker T):

Wati was a beast last year for Booker T, reportedly recording 23 sacks on the season. His film speaks for itself: https://www.hudl.com/profile/9942632/Wati-Huggins

Wati has great burst off the snap and also has closing speed to chase down runners. He doesn't have the biggest frame in the world at 6'2", but I think his speed makes up for it. It's not surprising he also holds offers from schools like Baylor, Pitt, and Syracuse. This is a big-time pick up for FIU.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:32 pm   
Golden Panther

Welcome aboard Wati!

Definitely could see him being an explosive OLB, or even a transition to MLB if he can get up to 235lbs.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:15 am   
Golden Panther

Another great local addition to our class of 2020 known commitment list. As Building stated, he was a beast last year for Booker T. Washington with so many sacks and tackles. Great get for our coaching staff!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:13 am   
Golden Panther

ESPN gave Wati a rating of 3-stars (72):

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/239715/wati-huggins

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:48 pm   
Golden Panther

That's pretty low, I think he is a way better player than that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:01 am   
Golden Panther

I think the main question mark about Wati is his size. He is listed at 6'0" by some recruiting sites, which pretty small for a DE. There is no denying his speed and ability to rush the passer, but it will be hard for him to consistently play DE at that size. It's possible we move him to OLB or use him specifically for passing downs. Or maybe Coach Davis believes he can be an every-down DE. Regardless, I'm sure Coach will find somewhere to use the talent that Wati has. It's all about how you fit these guys into your system.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:46 am   
Golden Panther

He might have to move to LB.

He reminds me of Kambriel Willis, another DE from Booker T. about 10 years ago. Kambriel was a beast in high school, but never did much at FIU because he was swallowed up at the line by bigger offensive tackles. I never understood why Cristobal didn't move him to LB. His talent was wasted at FIU because of bad coaching. I trust Coach Davis will find the right spot for him.

Official Name:
State University of Florida at Miami, or
Miami State University of Florida, or
Miami Florida State University