It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:04 am

Expectations for the 2019 season?

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:59 am   
Golden Panther

Let's get people talking about the 2019 football season. I definitely think it is one we should be excited about. Expectations are high this year, but how high would you put them?

In my eyes, this is the most talented team, top-to-bottom, that FIU has ever had. Arguably its best QB ever, loaded at the RB position, and a very deep secondary. Don't forget the C-USA preseason defensive player of the year in Sage Lewis. I think the bar has to be set at C-USA championship or bust. If FIU does not win the conference this year, I would say this season was a disappointment. Would you agree with this?

I'm expecting something like a 10-2 regular season (7-1 in conference), playing in a quality bowl game, hopefully against a P5 opponent.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:27 am   
Puma

Agreed. Being a Miami sports fans and having high hopes never mix, but I can see them being undefeated going into the UM game. All depends on how the new defense works out. Butch has said it himself, conference championship or bust.

As for a bowl game, i would LOVE to play in the first responder bowl or independence bowl against an P5 team.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:04 pm   
Golden Panther

weekend_warrior wrote:
Agreed. Being a Miami sports fans and having high hopes never mix, but I can see them being undefeated going into the UM game. All depends on how the new defense works out. Butch has said it himself, conference championship or bust.

As for a bowl game, i would LOVE to play in the first responder bowl or independence bowl against an P5 team.

Being undefeated going into the Miami game would be incredible. The hype would be so real!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:05 pm   
Golden Panther

8-4 or 9-3 in regular season.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:22 pm   
Juvenile Panther

I agree the C-USA Championship should be the goal, we haven't had this much hype surrounding FIU Football since the TY Hilton era.

I expect a 9-3 regular season record, Shula Bowl victory and a bowl game against a P5 opponent.

With this being James Morgan's second year in the offense, I expect him to pass for 30 plus TD's w/3500 yards.

I can also see the secondary leading CUSA in interceptions and Stantley Thomas-Oliver gaining attention from Pro scouts.

This season should definitely open the eyes of many recruits.

Let's GO FIU!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:41 pm   
Golden Panther

I think we are all expecting to see at least a run at the conference title... but i'll play this game:

My benchmarks for the season - I'll take any three:
- Win the opener (@Tulane)
- Beat FAU (in their house)
- Win Conference Title
- Win Bowl Game

For me, the rest of the schedule is mostly filler. If it's another weak year for C-USA, lord I don't know how many games I will watch. (Who am i kidding?)

We did lose a bit of production on offense between CJ Worton and Shawndarrius Phillips. I want to see how we make up for CJ's ability to stretch the field and whether or not James Morgan magically gets a case of the turnover bug during the season.