It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:58 am

Intrigue and Prognostications for 2019 Season

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:19 pm   
Cougar

Hello Again Fellow Panther Fans,
I don't often add much to an original post because I usually don't have much more to say on any given topic. However, I would like to address some of the responses to my original post. First of all, thanks to all of you respond to my thoughts an in particular, to Southpaw, Building and Fanatic for the kind words. I also would like to apologize for the grammatical errors and typos. Obviously, I often forget to proofread. Anyway, here are some observations of your observations!
1. Bryce Singleton is, as stated, by many of you, a stud. Yet another example of Coach Davis finding a star, with NFL potential, who was rated as a "2 star" player out of high school.
2. I had forgot about the pickup of Kane Taylor in the middle. The additions of Josh Turner in the secondary and Tyson Maeva at LB should help an already strong unit. Don't be surprised if we end up with a great defense even though we all have our reservations about the DL from last year.
3. Which brings me to my last point. By now it is clear to anyone that does read my posts that I am a huge fan of Coach Davis. Of the many strengths he has, one of the most obvious is that when the team has a deficiency, he addresses it immediately. Case in point; when we got embarrassed by Temple in the Gasparilla Bowl because of the lack of a decent backup QB not only did Coach make sure we had a excellent one last season but when we had almost an identical situation occur for the Bahamas Bowl, Christian Alexander played so well he could have been named a co-MVP! What I'm trying to say in too many words is fairly simple - be assured that the problems we had on the DL have been addressed.
This is going to be a great season, barring any unseen catastrophic injuries, so enjoy the ride!
FIUPhil

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:26 am   
Juvenile Panther

Starting with the offense; overall I think the offense is going to be a well-oiled machine. I think Morgan will easily throw for over 3000 yards and 30 TDs. Although we lost a few guys on the O line, I think the newly added depth should make up for it. Hopefully, they can replicate last season and protect Morgan as they did previously. Maloney and Maurice Alexander are for sure starters that are going to make huge plays this year. Bryce Singleton is probably the most talented receiver we have but injuries have got in the way. I see him also making a big impact and gradually increasing his reps as the season goes on. You already know our running back room is deep! We got the three-headed monster with Jones, Maxwell, and Price, along with the two highly recruited redshirt freshmen Peterson and Townsend (staff member told me in private that Townsend was by far the most talented back we have).

On defense, the big question as everyone stated is can we stop the run?! That all starts with the D line. I really feel that Tart really came into his own at the end of the season last year. I expect him to continue that progress into this season. Noah Curtis is due to have a breakout season this year after his impressive performance last year. my concern is the other 2 positions on the D line. Who's going to step up for that other DT spot? Kane Taylor? Jordan Woods? Andrew Tarver? As far as the SDE position goes, I think Kevin Oliver needs to improve and make a bigger impact and it concerns me that his projected backup is a true freshman in David Reynolds. I honestly don't think our D line can get much worst from last year. I see them tightening things up and gradually improving as the season goes on. In the linebacker position, I believe we have a solid core to work from with Sage Lewis leading the pack and Jamal gates and Rocky following suit. My concern, however, is the depth. Not sure, what quality we have in that position on the bench. Lastly, the secondary is probably our strongest position this year. I feel like all the articles I've been reading have been raving about the talent we have in this position group. Based on everything I've read thus far, I think we'll have a more aggressive defense that tries to force more turnovers compared to last year which was virtually nonexistent. Hopefully, they can live up to the high expectations this year!

#PawsUp

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:32 am   
Juvenile Panther

Panther Fans before we get too carried away with our offensive potential this season, the point has to said that had it not been for a Captain Morgan pick 6 and a blocked punt for another 6 points, then we would have not lost by 3 points and won the trip to the CUSA championship game. I believe that our defensive scheme last year protected the young secondary and allowed runs to flow to the LBs then safeties and a look at our defensive stats backs that up too. In Butch I trust we we be much better against the run in 2019 with a new DL coach and D coordinators. All I'm trying to say is let's be positive and give our DL a chance because I believe they will be incredibly successful this season.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:02 am   
Golden Panther

FIUPhil,

I too love Coach Davis and have tremendous confidence in him. However, you are giving him a little too much credit. He does sometimes make mistakes. It's not that often, thankfully, but he does.

Your example of the Gasparilla Bowl is one example. Christian Alexander was on the sideline, ready to play, that entire game. Yet Coach Davis stuck with Maurice Alexander the whole game even though it was obvious he was ineffective at QB. Christian didn't get a single snap. I was so frustrated watching that game.

I used to have debates on this board that Christian should have replaced Alex McGough as our starting QB in the despicable Ron Turner days. Let's not forget that Alex McGough, before Coach Davis took over, had a terrible tendency to force throws and threw a lot of interceptions. Granted, a lot of that was due to poor coaching and play-calling (remember all of those ridiculous bubble screens?). Alex really turned things around his senior season. He had a great final year under Coach Davis, which shows you how much better of a coach he is. But I was horrified when Coach Davis named Maurice the back up at the beginning of the year.

By the way, not sure if you guys saw Eric Henry's projected 2-deep. I'm now very concerned about our LBs. Eric has two former walk-ons (I believe) in the 2-deep, Josh Powell and Dimitry Prophete. I think Powell is a converted RB.

That is a big problem.

Where is the world is Donovan Georges??? This is getting a bit ridiculous. If a highly regarded 3-star redshirt freshman can't crack the 2-deep before walk-ons, there is a problem with talent evaluation in our program. Donovan was recruited by Georgia, Alabama, LSU, Michigan State, Louisville, etc. His high school tape was impressive. He should be on the field barring injuries.

And what about Ni'Kendrick Carter, another highly-recruited freshman? I don't think Tyson Maeva is eligible to play this year. Chris Whittaker might play. I think he's still waiting to hear back from the NCAA. We could be in trouble at LB if Whittaker is denied eligibility this year. We are in big trouble at LB if we have any injuries to key players.

Official Name:
State University of Florida at Miami, or
Miami State University of Florida, or
Miami Florida State University