It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:14 am

Favorite FIU Players from the Past

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:34 am   
Golden Panther

We should never forget the guys that laid the groundwork for our program. I wanted to remember some of the guys that I enjoyed watching over the years. Feel free to add any you think I missed.

Chris Smith - S - a real thumper. Probably the hardest hitter we've ever had in our program. I loved watching him play.
Chandler Williams - WR - the late Chandler Williams could stretch the D. I was there in Statesboro, Georgia when he torched Georgia Southern.
Keyonvis Bouie - LB - this guy was all over the field. Part of the killer B's. Maybe the most productive LB we've ever had.
Rashod Smith - RB - one of the best RBs we've had. He was consistently good and could always be counted on. Helped carry the team in the early years with McKinney and Leath.
Antwan Barnes - LB/DE - in my opinion, the best defensive player in FIU history. An absolute beast at LB and on the D-line. A true self-made player with an unbelievable work ethic. He played angry. I wish every player played with his intensity and fire.
Scott Bryant - LB - before Cyp, was our all-time leading tackler. He just flew to the ball. Seemed like he made every tackle, like Sage Lewis today. He was a heat-seeking missile toward the football on every play.
Alexander Bostic - LB - The least-know member of the killer B's. But he was highly productive and reliable at LB.
Victor Cernius C - a great leader on the OL. I think he started every game he was at FIU. Incredibly reliable and solid.Andy Leavine - OT - With Cernius, seemed like he played for FIU for 10 years. Always reliable and solid protecting the QB.
Darriet Perry - RB - Darriet could carry it. One of my favorite RBs in our history. As tough as you will find. Ran hard on every play.
Jamie Burke - QB - our first QB. Gave us legitimacy immediately as a program. If he could have stayed healthy, he would have put up much better numbers.
Wes Carroll - QB - the guy that helped take us to the next level. Carroll and T.Y. carried Mario Cristobal and prevented him from getting fired earlier.
Corey McKinney - WR - Jamie Burke's favorite target. So reliable and sure-handed. You could count on him to move the chains.
Toronto Smith - LB - always seemed to make a big play. Was all over the field and a leader on the field.
T.Y. Hilton - WR - The man that put us on the map. Why hasn't his number been retired yet? Why hasn't a statue of T.Y. been erected yet? I'll never forget listening to his first game, on the road against Kansas. He scored a touchdown the first time he touched the ball, just as he promised he would. He had moves and speed that were on a different level. Every time he touched the ball, he was a threat to score.

Official Name:
State University of Florida at Miami, or
Miami State University of Florida, or
Miami Florida State University

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:36 am   
Golden Panther

my favorite is a little known dude you may not remember

his name was eugene "t.y." hilton and he was pretty $$$$ good, great kid

Profile WWW ICQ  
 PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:40 am   
Golden Panther

SouthPaw wrote:
We should never forget the guys that laid the groundwork for our program. I wanted to remember some of the guys that I enjoyed watching over the years. Feel free to add any you think I missed.

Chris Smith - S - a real thumper. Probably the hardest hitter we've ever had in our program. I loved watching him play.
Chandler Williams - WR - the late Chandler Williams could stretch the D. I was there in Statesboro, Georgia when he torched Georgia Southern.
Keyonvis Bouie - LB - this guy was all over the field. Part of the killer B's. Maybe the most productive LB we've ever had.
Rashod Smith - RB - one of the best RBs we've had. He was consistently good and could always be counted on. Helped carry the team in the early years with McKinney and Leath.
Antwan Barnes - LB/DE - in my opinion, the best defensive player in FIU history. An absolute beast at LB and on the D-line. A true self-made player with an unbelievable work ethic. He played angry. I wish every player played with his intensity and fire.
Scott Bryant - LB - before Cyp, was our all-time leading tackler. He just flew to the ball. Seemed like he made every tackle, like Sage Lewis today. He was a heat-seeking missile toward the football on every play.
Alexander Bostic - LB - The least-know member of the killer B's. But he was highly productive and reliable at LB.
Victor Cernius C - a great leader on the OL. I think he started every game he was at FIU. Incredibly reliable and solid.
Andy Leavine - OT - With Cernius, seemed like he played for FIU for 10 years. Always reliable and solid protecting the QB.
Darriet Perry - RB - Darriet could carry it. One of my favorite RBs in our history. As tough as you will find. Ran hard on every play.
Jamie Burke - QB - our first QB. Gave us legitimacy immediately as a program. If he could have stayed healthy, he would have put up much better numbers.
Wes Carroll - QB - the guy that helped take us to the next level. Carroll and T.Y. carried Mario Cristobal and prevented him from getting fired earlier.
Corey McKinney - WR - Jamie Burke's favorite target. So reliable and sure-handed. You could count on him to move the chains.
Toronto Smith - LB - always seemed to make a big play. Was all over the field and a leader on the field.
T.Y. Hilton - WR - The man that put us on the map. Why hasn't his number been retired yet? Why hasn't a statue of T.Y. been erected yet? I'll never forget listening to his first game, on the road against Kansas. He scored a touchdown the first time he touched the ball, just as he promised he would. He had moves and speed that were on a different level. Every time he touched the ball, he was a threat to score.

Lot of names I remember there. Man, I feel old now.

This is probably more of an off-season thing, but this thread made me think about how I'd like to see an all-time "fan vote" team. In other words, have fans just pick their favorites by position regardless of stats.

I'm sure a lot of people would go off the stats and who they saw as students, but it'd be fun to see which "forgotten" players would come out.

Personally, I'm a sucker for hard-hat types. Which is why I'd have Paul McCall on there. I always enjoyed watching him play. Tough as hell. Got zero respect early on even with a dreadful Wayne Younger in front of him and managed to fight through that regardless to be a pretty decent starter on some "not great" teams (I'll be generous).

I'll concede that McCall was probably the least naturally talented QB to regularly start for FIU (physically, at least), but he was super-smart and he maxed out his physical abilities.

Lance Preston (RIP) was another in that same mold (LB for the inaugural years). Probably a bit more naturally talented than McCall. Very solid player, though. I'd say the same as well for Adam Gorman (RB) and Ed Wenger (OL) and John Haritan (DB) from the same era.