It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:44 am

Game Day: FIU @ Tulane

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:49 am   
Golden Panther

I think Tulane is way better than we thought and we are not as good as we thought. As Butch said, we played poorly in every phase of the game. I knew our defense would be shaky, but I'm most disappointed in our offense. No excuse to only score 14 points.

Also Coach Copp had a terrible showing in his first game as a DC.... I hope he does something to make me think this wasn't one of Butch's worst ideas ever. The team look so unprepared on defense. THEY HAD ALL OFFSEASON TO WATCH FILM.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:49 am   
Golden Panther

Yah, it was very sad to watch. No fun and nothing to really say was a bright spot at all. Even our stupid attempt at a turnover belt was wasted when Morgan fumbled the ball all on his own the very next play.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:27 am   
Golden Panther

Well, Beisbol, that is what we have all been saying for two years now. Why not at least TRY and put some pressure in the backfield? We all know what the term is for repeating the same failed behavior over and over again and expecting different results, don't we? Don't we, Coach?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:48 am   
Golden Panther

A truly awful, embarrassing performance. To me, it's pretty simple why we got boat raced last night... both lines got manhandled. All night long. If you don't win at the line of scrimmage--or at least hold your own--you have no shot at winning.

When I looked at the 2-deep, I was worried. It's clear that Coach Davis' explanation of poor technique isn't the only explanation as to why we couldn't stop the run last year. We don't have enough players that can consistently win their match ups. Now I know that Tulane one of the better OLs and DLs we'll face all year, but c'mon, this is Tulane and not Alabama. If we get blown off the ball like we did last night by the likes of Tulane, we're never going to challenge the big boys and crack the national rankings.

This is on the coaches.

We didn't do nearly enough to address the problems on the lines in recruiting this year, especially on the DL. We had no recruits for the interior D-line. It's basically the same guys as last year minus Humphrey. And not a single LB that we signed in the last two years has played any meaningful minutes for us. Including our highest-ever rated LB Donovan Georges. That is pitiful.

And where were Bryce Singleton--our best WR--and D'Vonte Price--our most explosive RB? We heard nothing about injuries to either going into this game.

Official Name:
State University of Florida at Miami, or
Miami State University of Florida, or
Miami Florida State University

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:15 am   
Golden Panther

I'm going to have to agree with SouthPaw. Forget such excuses as "Oh, Tulane is better than we thought they were going to be." That is bullcrap. We were supposed to be exactly that good ourselves by the beginning of year three of the Butch Davis regime. Just where the hell are our quality players, I ask you? There were damned few kids on our team who could perform to the level of the Tulane players, that much was evident. Our recruiting efforts have been absolutely miserable, apparently. And so far as being able to take prospects and "coach them up," it sure as heck hasn't happened on defense, or in the trenches. I did not see one thing last night that makes me feel excitement about the upcoming season. I saw a defense that looked utterly inept, like Turner was coaching it and an offense that looked like it quit when things got tough. I would like to see Butch Davis blow his freaking stack because what happening in New Orleans was exactly the kind of prelude that we had to Saint Mario of Cristobal's debacle of a final season, and unless big changes are made, I worry that is exactly what we are going to end up with.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:41 am   
Golden Panther

In fact, I'm wondering just how far we have come in the last three years when all is said and done. I expected that we would be able to go toe to toe with Tulane, whip WKU 44-7, and New Hampshire or Vermont or whoever the hell it is about 82-6 and go up against the insufferable front-runners with hopes of an upset before falling back to earth. Instead, we go out and play the same kind of pansy-ass football that has been the trademark of FIU since forever. For Gods sakes, isn't there a coach left in the world who pleads with his kids, "Now go out there and HIT somebody!" We haven't had that since the Killer B's. It is sickening to watch. Tulane was playing smash mouth football. We were playing flag football. Florida was playing smash mouth football against the Canes. It was thrilling to watch.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:01 pm   
Juvenile Panther

SouthPaw wrote:
A truly awful, embarrassing performance. To me, it's pretty simple why we got boat raced last night... both lines got manhandled. All night long. If you don't win at the line of scrimmage--or at least hold your own--you have no shot at winning.

When I looked at the 2-deep, I was worried. It's clear that Coach Davis' explanation of poor technique isn't the only explanation as to why we couldn't stop the run last year. We don't have enough players that can consistently win their match ups. Now I know that Tulane one of the better OLs and DLs we'll face all year, but c'mon, this is Tulane and not Alabama. If we get blown off the ball like we did last night by the likes of Tulane, we're never going to challenge the big boys and crack the national rankings.

This is on the coaches.

We didn't do nearly enough to address the problems on the lines in recruiting this year, especially on the DL. We had no recruits for the interior D-line. It's basically the same guys as last year minus Humphrey. And not a single LB that we signed in the last two years has played any meaningful minutes for us. Including our highest-ever rated LB Donovan Georges. That is pitiful.

And where were Bryce Singleton--our best WR--and D'Vonte Price--our most explosive RB? We heard nothing about injuries to either going into this game.

This is the most accurate post! It came down to being dominated in the trenches.. on both sides! The O line kept getting pushed back like nothing. This is why James Morgan threw that interception because he threw off his back foot because he felt the pressure. We only got 59 yards rushing because no holes were opening up. Not to mention we couldn't sustain any real drives and stay on the field which eventually tired out our defense. The D line was just another repeat of last year. They put no pressure on the QB and the RB's did whatever they wanted. Granted, Tulane talent wise may be the best team we face outside of Miami, but that's no excuse.

I completely agree on the point on recruitment. Not enough was done to address the issue on the DL. We had no incoming DT to mold for the future. We had to settle for some mediocre transfers who peaked in high school. Our 2 deep LBs are walk ons. Heatherly the punter was trash last night. Might lose his starting spot next game.

BUT... with all that said, I don't think our season is over yet. We're not going to face a front 7 like that until Miami. Hopefully Butch can tighten things up and the defense can improve, and our O line can get back to their winning ways like last year. Our next 2 games maybe the perfect time to sort all this out and get some victories on our record before another competitive game against LA Tech. Were still in this boys! Keep the faith!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:00 pm   
Golden Panther

I don't think there is much hope of "tightening up" that read and react defensive scheme Butch has been stuck on for the past two years. We just don't have the size, speed, or skill set, and judging by what happened last night, we are even worse off this year--even when we were going against the Tulane second and third teamers, we were being gashed regularly in garbage time. If we do not adopt a more proactive style you are going to see even the weakest teams exploit that passive set. And eventually it is going to wear the whole team down. And speaking of Heatherly, how is it that we manage to recruit the best JUCO punter in the world who is a head case. I could understand the best high school punter in the world choking in his first college game, but a kid who has been doing it for two years and averaging more than 43 yards a kick suddenly can't kick it out of his shadow? I mean, it's not like kicking field goals. You don't have to be straight. You just pretend it's your math teacher's butt and you kick. I mean come on. Let's hire him a psychologist or something. Holy Cow!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:00 am   
Golden Panther

I don't think it's nearly as dire as many of you seem to believe.

First off, Tulane is pretty good. Their QB basically started mid-way last season and led them to a bowl. We all know mobile QB's are FIU's kryptonite, especially when we can't stop the run game.

Second, I think Willie Fritz is a very underrated head coach. The guy's had three under-.500 seasons in over 20 years as a head coach and two of them came in his first two seasons at Tulane, which has been a patsy for a real long time. In a way, you can argue (I would) that Tulane should be a much better program than they really are, especially in a recruiting hotbed like Louisiana and being in New Orleans (one of the coolest cities ever in my book).

Watching that game reminded me of the whipping UCF laid on FIU in the 2017 opener. Total domination. I don't think Tulane is that good (Lord knows we make mobile QB's look like Heisman candidates sometimes), but I wouldn't be surprised if they're one of the better teams in the American this year.

As for FIU... talent is still clearly an issue on the D, especially the line. Outside of Sage, I'm not terribly confident in any of the LB's, but I think we'll be OK in conference play there and with the secondary. The line is my big concern. If we're still getting gashed like this a month from now, I think it's probably time to get real nervous. Personally, I expected Butch to have fixed this part well before now. I suspect he can patch it up well enough to win C-USA this year, though.

And that leads to my big point here. It's the first game of the season. Weird things happen. We got killed by UCF in 2017 and still went 8-5. Lost in a closer game to Indiana last year and also had a bowl season. I think we need to tap the breaks a bit here. I expected us to be better, too, but by no means is this year a lost cause. I suspect we'll do a lot better against Miami than we did against Tulane.

I think the O will be fine, too, against CUSA competition... but there is one thing that does worry me and I've mentioned it on here before. Morgan sucks at read option plays. I'm sorry to be that blunt, but he's nowhere near as good as McGough was and it's affecting the offense. He almost never calls his own number and the defenses know it. He has to take more chances there or the D is going straight to the RB every single time. When your OL isn't that good to begin with, you have to be better at that kind of subterfuge, especially with the run being so key to FIU's offense.

That is why I hated the idea of Christian Alexander leaving. I know Morgan is a better QB, but CA was a lot better at read option. At the very least, he would've been a good change-up player when the O gets stuck like they did against Tulane.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:14 am   
Golden Panther

SouthPaw wrote:

This is on the coaches.

What is your fascination with Georges? Seriously. It seems like you find ways to bring that kid up in every post. I know he was a high recruit, but FIU's had its fair share of highly recruited busts. Also, LB is probably the deepest part of the D right now (always has been for FIU historically), so I wouldn't read that much into it.

I agree with you on DL and OL, though. That's a real concern. We still have a lot of undersized guys on DL, especially with Big Saucy turning into Big Bust. Recruiting quality lineman is always a challenge at this level, though.

I thought Singleton was coming off an injury. Not sure about Price, but RB and WR is super deep and I would much prefer Jones or Maxwell for the style of offense we run. You need consistent gainers, not guys who are home run or bust.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:28 am   
Golden Panther

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2019/8/ ... n-mcmillan

Nice recap. Good insight.

Also explains about Price (he didn't travel with the team).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:25 pm   
Golden Panther

Clawing Cancer wrote: "Also, LB is probably the deepest part of the D right now"

Really? What are you looking at? Our 2-deep featured Josh Powell, Daniel Jackson, and Dimitry Prophete, all walk-ons. Meanwhile, our highest-ever LB recruit, Donovan Georges is nowhere to be found. Khaliq Jacas, another walk-on, was getting reps last year ahead of Georges.

How can Georges we worse than the guys that are playing? He might be a better fit at middle LB, but you can't tell me he can't contribute on the outside if he's a good player.

There seems to be a real problem finding quality LBs by this staff. Outside of maybe Rocky Jacques-Louis they've pretty much whiffed on everyone else at LB.

Ni'Kendrick Carter, another highly-rated LB last year, didn't play against Tulane. Neither did Nasir Carter. Other highly-rated LBs from prior years like Joshua Sanders, Romelo Brooks, and Brandon James, never made it.

On the DL, you can't let good players walk away. You can say what you want about Tayland Humphrey, but the guys took up space and plugged the inside so other guys could make plays. Not only did we lose him, but we lost his half-brother that looked like he was going to be a good player down the road. And losing Fermin Silva hurt. How can you let a potential NFL player transfer to one of your competitors?

And I agree that running the read-option with Morgan is dumb. He is no running threat. And even if he was, do we really want to risk having him get hurt? Tulane's safety almost decapitated him on Thursday night when he kept it on one run. What is Skosky thinking?

Official Name:
State University of Florida at Miami, or
Miami State University of Florida, or
Miami Florida State University

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:21 pm   
Golden Panther

SouthPaw wrote:
Clawing Cancer wrote: "Also, LB is probably the deepest part of the D right now"
Quote:

Really? What are you looking at? Our 2-deep featured Josh Powell, Daniel Jackson, and Dimitry Prophete, all walk-ons. Meanwhile, our highest-ever LB recruit, Donovan Georges is nowhere to be found. Khaliq Jacas, another walk-on, was getting reps last year ahead of Georges.

How can Georges we worse than the guys that are playing? He might be a better fit at middle LB, but you can't tell me he can't contribute on the outside if he's a good player.

There seems to be a real problem finding quality LBs by this staff. Outside of maybe Rocky Jacques-Louis they've pretty much whiffed on everyone else at LB.

Ni'Kendrick Carter, another highly-rated LB last year, didn't play against Tulane. Neither did Nasir Carter. Other highly-rated LBs from prior years like Joshua Sanders, Romelo Brooks, and Brandon James, never made it.

On the DL, you can't let good players walk away. You can say what you want about Tayland Humphrey, but the guys took up space and plugged the inside so other guys could make plays. Not only did we lose him, but we lost his half-brother that looked like he was going to be a good player down the road. And losing Fermin Silva hurt. How can you let a potential NFL player transfer to one of your competitors?

And I agree that running the read-option with Morgan is dumb. He is no running threat. And even if he was, do we really want to risk having him get hurt? Tulane's safety almost decapitated him on Thursday night when he kept it on one run. What is Skosky thinking?

Which other part of the D is deeper than LB? This is all relative, of course, since no unit looks particularly great there right now. But if it's not that unit, then who? Sage alone makes them the best part of the D in my book.

So there's a bunch of walk-ons in the 2-deep. So what? Who cares about that? Isn't it about putting out the best players? Why should their scholarship status matter any? If they're really that good, they'll get scholarships soon enough.

In a way, I like that. It makes me respect this coaching staff even more. Clearly, they're not letting recruiting rankings or their preconceived notions get in the way of who they feel is best. Or who proves it more during practice, most likely. And I think that's a great thing.

Why should some kid get a pass just because some recruiting service put stars next to his name? If he's not earning it in practice and a walk-on is, then I have no problem with the walk-on getting the nod. In theory.

I don't know if that's the case here. Maybe someone else does. But I do know that Butch knows talent. And I would rather trust him than a recruiting service to tell me the best players.

I'm not going to let recruiting rankings get in the way of that. They've been wrong lots of times before and probably will be in the future. Lord knows a lot of you were all over Humphrey's jock, but the kid sucked when he was here. Clearly out of shape. Couldn't play more than a few snaps at a time. I don't care how talented he is. If he can't even get in shape, he's not worth having on your team.

It seems far more likely to me that those players simply weren't good enough or have some other issue that Butch can't fix than to say he's not developing them properly. His track record indicates very strongly that he knows how to develop players.

As for Silva... yeah, that hurt, but I don't think he was that great a player. He wouldn't have won us the Tulane game, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:25 pm   
Golden Panther

1) The secondary is the deepest part of the defense and it's not even close.

2) I don't think talent is the problem. We again had horrible fundamentals. I don't understand what the hell the coaches have been doing with the guys all off-season. Some of those rushing lanes were insane. And the few times we had the lane plugged, we couldn't tackle to save our lives.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:47 am   
Juvenile Panther

I know that it was a tough camp, not saying this team could beat Tulane, but is it possible they were worn out? I heard most days were shell's or full pads, seems a little old school in this day and age.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next