PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:25 pm   
Site Admin

phpBB [video]

Ricardo Silva Stadium
Sept. 7 (SAT) 7:00 P.M.
TV: ESPN +
RADIO: AM 790 THE TICKET
LINE: FIU -9.0

All stories and reports regarding FIU's game against WKU can be posted here. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:55 am   
Golden Panther

WKU gave up over 400 passing yards to FCS Central Arkansas... Look for James Morgan and the passing attack to get back on track this week. Of course, we have to do a better job stopping the run...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:23 am   
Golden Panther

I don't care what this team does as long as that includes WAKING UP! Putting up a lot of points on the scoreboard and holding WKU to under 20!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:45 pm   
Golden Panther

FIU opened as a 12 point favorite and that line is now down to 7.5.... yikes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:02 pm   
Golden Panther

Well, first of all, nobody from down here bets on us, and secondly, what gambler from elsewhere would give 12.5 points with us against freaking ANYBODY after that showing last Thursday night. I sure wouldn't. That doesn't have much to do with anybody sitting in a room breaking down film, it's just about the flow of cash through the betting parlors.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:01 pm   
Golden Panther

Great write up by Eric Henry on some of the things that went wrong on defense from the Tulane game:

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2019/9/4/20848233/film-study-fius-struggles-against-the-run-butch-davis-jeff-copp

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:28 pm   
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:44 am   
Golden Panther

Dynasty, draw a line along the line of scrimmage of those stills posted by Eric Henry and start counting the number of white jerseys on the Tulane side of it. There is your "analysis" of what went wrong on Thursday night. What does it matter what the two undersized ends are doing on that single play when the interior linemen are jammed three yards deep on their side and we've dropped seven into coverage? Of course a good mobile QB with big athletic guys out in front of him going up against smaller LB's and DB's is going to feast on that. The only "execution" that is going to make a difference is to mix it up and send a corner or a linebacker after the QB and force him to throw the ball and depend on one on one coverage every now and again. Of course it is something a gamble, but the DBs have been playing for two years now and they are supposed to be half decent.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:13 am   
Golden Panther

Of course, as I have said before, Butch would probably say, just calm down, I'd rather keep feeding and teaching these kids, play safe, force a 4 minute 80 yard drive and hope for a fumble or an INT or a holding penalty (just like in the first Tulane series) instead of the prospect of a DB breakdown and an 80 yard TD in :40 seconds--which in the case of a team like Miami could result in a 100 point game. And he would probably say that even in the case of a weaker team like WKU, that is the only hope they have of staying in the game, so we can probably expect more of the same on Saturday night. And it will probably stay this way until we have some athletes on the team who are--or turn into--legit defensive beasts.See you at the game. At least the beer lines aren't long.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:13 am   
Golden Panther

Can't wait for Saturday. I need the healing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:08 am   
Puma

What happened to this week's Panther Talk with Butch Davis?

I was looking forward to hearing about the Tulane game and how he's prepared for this upcoming game.
But, I can't find it anywhere.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:53 pm   
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:17 am   
Golden Panther

FIUPantherFan wrote:

11 drops? Wow. I didn't think it was that many. That is a fairly easy fix, though, especially given the receiving depth.

Also found this part interesting:

"Davis praised just three defensive players when asked who played well against Tulane, and all three are linebackers: Sage Lewis, Jamal Gates and Jackson."

That was my initial takeaway, too, when watching the game live.

If the secondary really is better than the LB's, they better start showing it soon. Especially with the DL struggling like they are.

Building A Dynasty wrote:
Great write up by Eric Henry on some of the things that went wrong on defense from the Tulane game:

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2019/9/4/20848233/film-study-fius-struggles-against-the-run-butch-davis-jeff-copp

Agreed. The big challenge with mobile QB's is keeping contain and FIU has historically been bad at that.

Part of it, I suspect, is because we tend to get more speed than size at DL, especially with the ends. When you're used to going 100 mph all the time, it's hard to dial that back mentally and stay in lanes when you have to.

If there was any adjustment which might have worked against Tulane, I'd say it was keeping DE's from going upfield. Force the QB to stay in the pocket and throw his way out instead of having DE's go upfield and leaving a huge lane between tackle and guard. I'd say that's especially true if you're not going to blitz that lane.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:18 pm   
Golden Panther

Clawing, I would tell you and Eric Henry the same thing: our DE's did not "go" upfield, they were TAKEN upfield by linemen who were bigger, stronger, faster and more skilled than they were. I don't think any coach in the world would have told them to do what is illustrated in that still that Henry posted, certainly not without sending someone off the corner to take their places. The fact that our DE's could not spin off, fight off, or otherwise shed those blocks probably speaks to their inexperience, etc., but were I the DC, I would have watched the first two series of that game and said, "I am going to go to Plan B, the one we practiced, knowing this was likely to happen, given that is has happened for the past 26 games of the past two years. And if we get burned, we will go back and forth, but at least we will make an effort to DO SOMETHING besides yell at the kids for not being good enough to do what we would like them to do."

Frankly, I don't know if Donovan Georges as a linebacker is worth the powder it would take to blow him to hell, but I do think that Paw South has a point when he says that if you are still giving a number of walk-ons significant minutes in your third year, then SOMETHING seems to have gone a little haywire with your recruiting, retention, and player development. It does not make sense to me that the supposed best DT in all juco football comes in here and turns out to be a tub of lard so out of shape he can barely run out to the line of scrimmage and is gone after a year. Or that we have a supposed all world juco PUNTER, for god's sake, who it turns out, is fighting for his job in training camp and can barely kick it out of his shadow once he gets into a game. Did anybody go watch this kid kick the ball? Talk to him? His coaches?

Who is the undisputed star on this team right now? You'd have to say Morgan, but even he has major blemishes. If the kid were forced to turn into the read-option QB that some of you want, he'd be in the hospital before the WKU game was over. Maurice? Hmmm? Who recruited him? I've been reading down the list of the 2020 commits to date, and they seem okay, if you believe that the current brain trust can spot prospects, bulk them up and coach them up and turn them into winners, but I wish that I had seen a couple of examples of that tearing up and down the field last week in New Orleans, that's all. Maybe tonight will change everything.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:33 pm   
Juvenile Panther

All great points of view from everyone but at the end of the day we all should agree that we are recruiting consistent 3 star athletes with P5 offers so no matter how bad we played last week, it wasn't a talent issue fellas but rather a defensive scheme problem. I am sure if the DC allowed J. Wood, T. Tait and N. Curtis just beat their blockers with athleticism, that we would have more sacks, QB pressure, tipped balls and of course TFLs. It's unfortunate however, that all 3 are standing at the LOS trying to hold gap responsibility so that our LBs make all the plays and we blitz less than 4 times last week. The solution is let them dogs free to get into the offensive backfield instead of reading and reacting at the LOS.

Let us hope.
lockers with