It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:06 am

Play 52

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:42 am   
Golden Panther

Is it too much to ask for our highest-ever rated LB to play a down of football for us? In the position we need the most help (along with the DL)? Coaches? Hello?

It's inexcusable that Donovan Georges hasn't played a down at LB for us. What is going on??? This is worse than the days when Mario Cristobal refused to play Cedrick Mack on the OL for a while. He finally came to his senses and Mack was an instant beast. I hope Coach Davis and staff wake up soon.

Now, I'm assuming Donovan is healthy and eligible. But I find it hard to believe he hasn't been healthy the entire time he's been at FIU. It's true he might be best at middle LB. But why isn't he at least on the 2-deep behind Sage? There are two walk-ons on the 2-deep at LB ahead of him! Ridiculous. Donovan can play on the outside. Remember, Sage played on the outside at LB until Anthony Wint graduated.

It's time for 52 to get on the field. We need you Donovan!

Official Name:
State University of Florida at Miami, or
Miami State University of Florida, or
Miami Florida State University

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:44 am   
Golden Panther

1) your obsession with DG is strange.

2) it looked like DG suffered a concussion or some sort of injury on the very first play of the Tulane game. He can’t play if he’s hurt.

3) he isn’t going to singlehandedly make a difference. The D-Line needs to play better.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:10 pm   
Puma

Seek help immediately. There is something wrong. OR you are his parent. Not sure. Out-of-control Obsession vs. familial relation.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:23 am   
Golden Panther

You might want to read this article, SouthPaw.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/coll ... 00472.html

I'll point this part out in particular.

"Coach Butch Davis praised just three defensive players when asked who played well against Tulane, and all three are linebackers: Sage Lewis, Jamal Gates and [Daniel] Jackson."

Beyond that... I'll just leave this link here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4GRJgMXHo8

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:55 am   
Golden Panther

Ha, nice job Clawing Cancer. I am obsessed. Obsessed with FIU putting its best players on the field.

Let me ask you a question... You watched the Tulane game. Do you think our LB's played well? Go back and watch the game again if you need to. Be honest.

They might have played HARD, but they didn't play WELL. No one on defense played well. Coaches need to be honest with themselves. And most importantly, they need to be able to MAKE ADJUSTMENTS DURING THE GAME.

When you have three walk-ons getting minutes at LB, it's pretty clear to me that our recruiting at LB has been a failure. I honestly don't know how anyone couldn't agree with that. Coach Davis has three recruiting classes under his belt now. Where are the LB's he's recruited? Gates and Rocky have played, but not played well in my opinion. His move of Silva to LB last year was a failure. Tevin Jones is finally getting some reps, but where's the depth?

If I were Coach Davis, I'd move Shaun Peterson to LB. I would have done it last year. He played LB in high school. We are so deep at RB, do we really need him sitting on the bench? Do you think he's going to get significant minutes at RB behind D'Vonte Price, Maleek Williams, Demarcus Townsend, and Lexington Joseph next year?

Official Name:
State University of Florida at Miami, or
Miami State University of Florida, or
Miami Florida State University

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:27 pm   
Golden Panther

SouthPaw wrote:
Ha, nice job Clawing Cancer. I am obsessed. Obsessed with FIU putting its best players on the field.

Let me ask you a question... You watched the Tulane game. Do you think our LB's played well? Go back and watch the game again if you need to. Be honest.

They might have played HARD, but they didn't play WELL. No one on defense played well. Coaches need to be honest with themselves. And most importantly, they need to be able to MAKE ADJUSTMENTS DURING THE GAME.

When you have three walk-ons getting minutes at LB, it's pretty clear to me that our recruiting at LB has been a failure. I honestly don't know how anyone couldn't agree with that. Coach Davis has three recruiting classes under his belt now. Where are the LB's he's recruited? Gates and Rocky have played, but not played well in my opinion. His move of Silva to LB last year was a failure. Tevin Jones is finally getting some reps, but where's the depth?

If I were Coach Davis, I'd move Shaun Peterson to LB. I would have done it last year. He played LB in high school. We are so deep at RB, do we really need him sitting on the bench? Do you think he's going to get significant minutes at RB behind D'Vonte Price, Maleek Williams, Demarcus Townsend, and Lexington Joseph next year?

No one played well on D. No question about that. But a C grade is better than a D or an F.

Your point about recruiting is fair... but I don't put nearly as much stock in what "recruiting experts" think as you seem to. I really don't care where kids are ranked when they show up to campus. I care about what they do when they're here. That's it.

I know enough about recruiting to know that I am no expert at it (and don't pretend to be) and I know enough about the "recruiting experts" to know that a lot of them are full of s--t. You don't believe me? Go see how often kids are bumped up from 2 stars to 4 the second P5 schools start recruiting them and then tell me those people know anything about anything. Most of them aren't doing it for a living. Even the ones that are can be sketchy.

For anyone to be good at recruiting is extremely difficult. You're talking about evaluating (potentially) thousands of teenagers across the country yearly and figuring out all kinds of variables (physical, mental, character, etc) in order to make a guess as to whether or not they'll work for you. Even the ones who get paid very well to do it miss a lot. Look at the yearly turnover on SEC teams and other P5 schools.

I'm not going to get mad at Butch for playing walk-ons over 4 stars if the walk-ons are better. I don't care or get invested in individual players, usually. This is a team game. And I still trust Butch on talent evaluation. Maybe his guys take more time than we expect. Sometimes, that happens. This isn't an exact science by any stretch. All I know is he's delivered two bowl seasons in a row and I'm not about to lose faith because of two bad games.

As for moving players to other positions... that's not always on the coach. The player has to agree. Maybe Peterson doesn't want to do that.