View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:03 pm   
Golden Panther

Just #SITFD already. #WHK

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:06 am   
Cougar

Diagodog wrote:
Well, SouthPaw, you better get a backup mind ready because I will bet you dollars to donuts that if Morgan cannot go on Saturday night, it WILL be Maurice 2.0 behind center. Butch has spent time in the NFL, you see, and if you have been an NFL coach, you never, ever go back to full rational thinking again. You come to believe that no one besides you and all the rest of the guys who have been in the fraternity could possibly know as much as you do about the game, you never think outside the box, you never take chances, and your players fit your system, you do not fit your system to your players. You want to doubt me, just watch what happens for the rest of this year here. That doesn't mean I don't like Butch Davis, mind you--I am just saying that is how he has been doing business from Day One and if he changes his spots because of what are to him a couple of piddly losses, I will be flabbergasted. Did you see how he was chirping along in the Herald interview this morning? It tells you all you need to know about his view of how full the glass is. Most of us on this board feel that the football landscape at FIU looks about like main street in Freeport. He's talking about what a dang tough game WKU would have been to win, but we'll be okay.

Wow. We're two games into the season and you're already bashing Butch Davis like the world is over? I guess going 17-9 and going to a couple bowl games after the previous guy went 10-30 and had games where he asked for a running clock gets you nothing... You're pathetic.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:11 am   
Golden Panther

@thedude

I agree, we all as Miami sports fans can be a bit bipolar.

But in Diago's defense.. I think the concerns & frustrations on this board are not the two losses but the manner in which we lost.

Either way, this weekend should put some nice saav on that burn and finally get us into the win collumn.

Personally, my goals for the season have been re-adjusted to bowl eligibility and beat FAU.

If we don't get embarrassed by the Canes, I would be happy too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:33 pm   
Golden Panther

I'm not giving up on the season yet. Two things have to happen to turn it around:

1. James Morgan has to be healthy the rest of the year, and
2. The OL has to start protecting him immediately

If either of those two things don't happen, I can't see us winning more than five games. If they both happen, I think we can still win eight games.

I'm a little sad at how fast FIUPhil has changed his tune. The most positive pro-Butch Davis guy is now questioning his idol. I did not see that coming, not even after these two games.

I will say that I'm still high on Coach Davis. He can't block for these guys. My biggest concern with Coach Davis is that I don't think he always plays the best guys. He rewards tenure over talent. You value talent over tenure. You have to get your best talent out on the field and let them get reps.

I don't think we really need to see Kaylan Wiggins again at QB. I'm sure the coaches can find a better spot for him, like they did with Maurice.

I'd like to see Calub Lynum get a chance if Morgan goes down again. Or even better, Stone Norton. If the coaches think Stone will be the day one starter next year, it makes zero sense not playing him some this year.

And if the coaches don't think Stone Norton will be the day one starter, then they need to play the guy who they think will be the day one starter.

And if they think Kaylan Wiggins will be the day one starter, I'm going to lose my mind.

Official Name:
State University of Florida at Miami, or
Miami State University of Florida, or
Miami Florida State University

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:16 pm   
Cougar

Hello Fellow Panther Fans,
First of all Southpaw, to set the record straight, I don't idolize anyone, not even the best man I ever knew, that being my dad, God rest his soul. I RESPECT great men like my pop and I respect Coach Davis as well. I haven't given up on him or this season - I just stated the cold, hard truth - that if something is not done by this coaching staff immediately, then we are indeed in for a three win season (based on what I saw at the WKU game). I don't know if it's complacency by some of the veteran players or coaching staff but there was a palpable lack of urgency last Saturday. Maybe it was overconfidence - I'm not on the sidelines so I can't say with any degree of certainty. I will say this - the UNH game is a perfect time to get snaps for some of the young talent we have on the bench and see if they can play at this level. As some of you have suggested, let's see D. Townsend, D. Georges, J. Anderson, C. Gaskin, F. Joseph, L. Gunderson etc. If we are supposed to be that much better than UNH (which I believe to be so), then these young players could get out on the field, gain some invaluable experience, not lose any eligibility and maybe light a fire under the veterans rear ends. It's a cliche, but competition makes everyone better - even the upperclassmen. There is nothing "sad" about what I think - just the realization that we are already at a critical juncture of this season. By the way Southpaw, I agree with all of the other points you made in your post. FIUPhil

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:39 pm   
Golden Panther

Sorry, fiuphil. I didn't mean to offend you. I was just amazed at how fast and how far your view changed after just two games. I understand why. I also respect Coach Davis. But he's not perfect. He needs to learn from his mistakes and be accountable, just like he asks of his players.

I always enjoy reading your posts. I usually agree with most of your views. I was just a little more cautious starting out this season based on (1) all of the pre-season hype over FIU which tends to make players and coaches complacent and (2) the first depth chart which--quite honestly-shocked me.

And then seeing the games, it surprised me how bad our OL has played. I would move Connell to guard and McGough to center.

We've got to get our best guys on the field. Tenure can't be rewarded over talent any longer.

Official Name:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:51 pm   
Golden Panther

I too would like to see some of the guys who haven't played much. If this game goes the way it should go, maybe we will. Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:57 pm   
Cougar

Hey Southpaw,
No need for an apology! Thanks for responding. After some consideration, my wife and I will be at the game tomorrow night. If you get a chance, come by and introduce yourself. We're in Section 114, Row 3 Seats 8-9. FIUPhil
*Players, let's show up this week!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:36 am   
Golden Panther

Pro coaches do not tend to take chances, that is all I am saying. I am very happy we have Butch Davis as our coach, but on the other hand, had he been willing to adjust his thinking in various ways, we might have had an able backup to play against WKU and it is pretty clear that 17-9 might be 18-8. Had there been a backup QB ready to play at the Gasparilla Bowl, 18-8, might have become 19-7. Etcetera. Nobody is perfect. And I don't care what anybody says, so far it looks like the talent level on the field has regressed from last year. Is there ANYONE who is going to debate that issue? That obviously raises questions about recruiting, player development, and preparation, and curiosity as to why some of the hotshots supposedly on the team have not yet seen the field. Unlike the Canes, we FIU fans do not get ANY information about what may be going on via newspaper or other media accounts, which leaves us to speculate, stew, and vent in our little vacuum. I wish we had a Touchdown Club for weekly Friday lunches where coaches would come in and talk about the previous weeks game, answer questions and preview the upcoming game. Even I would cough up the money to take part in such a program, fat chance of it ever happening. But meantime, thank God we have this forum for that purpose. Finally, Butch Davis is not reading this board, and even if he did, nothing I or anyone else said would hurt his feelings. He'd just laugh and point out that he is the one being paid and he's doing what he thinks is best, and things will get better. Starting this evening, right?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:46 am   
Golden Panther

Just re-watched the first half of the WKU game in great detail. Some observations:

1) The O-line is the main problem. Many missed assignments. We also lack depth. The rotation is much smaller than last year. The JUCO guys gave made zero impact (Corbett and Gunderson). Not great. Demery has looked pretty bad for an all-conference caliber player that he is. We can't run the ball to save our lives and it's not because of the RBs. This must get fixed ASAP.

2) The poor O-line play is affecting Morgan. We all know he's not mobile. He plays poorly under pressure. Just see the Marshall game last year for an example. Morgan missed a TD on a wheel route to Jones the first drive of the game. He later overthrew Maloney on a deep ball which could have been a TD. He also overthrew Maloney on a quick slant on a third down. Too many empty drives when stuff was available.

3) Too many drops... Sure hands are no longer sure hands. This has nothing to do with offensive scheme. Catch the football.

4) The defense played better than the Tulane game for sure... The main problem is the interior D-line. I fear we are seriously undermanned at the DT position. Outside of Teair, we get zero push upfield. Ever. It's really bad. This affects the rest of the defense. It also affects schematics. I saw multiple interior blitzes on defense, but none of them got home, partially because the DTs are getting blown up. I have legitimate fears about the future at this spot, but that's for another thread. Let's all pray Teair stays healthy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:11 am   
Golden Panther

Building A Dynasty wrote:
Just re-watched the first half of the WKU game in great detail. Some observations:

1) The O-line is the main problem. Many missed assignments. We also lack depth. The rotation is much smaller than last year. The JUCO guys gave made zero impact (Corbett and Gunderson). Not great. Demery has looked pretty bad for an all-conference caliber player that he is. We can't run the ball to save our lives and it's not because of the RBs. This must get fixed ASAP.

2) The poor O-line play is affecting Morgan. We all know he's not mobile. He plays poorly under pressure. Just see the Marshall game last year for an example. Morgan missed a TD on a wheel route to Jones the first drive of the game. He later overthrew Maloney on a deep ball which could have been a TD. He also overthrew Maloney on a quick slant on a third down. Too many empty drives when stuff was available.

3) Too many drops... Sure hands are no longer sure hands. This has nothing to do with offensive scheme. Catch the football.

4) The defense played better than the Tulane game for sure... The main problem is the interior D-line. I fear we are seriously undermanned at the DT position. Outside of Teair, we get zero push upfield. Ever. It's really bad. This affects the rest of the defense. It also affects schematics. I saw multiple interior blitzes on defense, but none of them got home, partially because the DTs are getting blown up. I have legitimate fears about the future at this spot, but that's for another thread. Let's all pray Teair stays healthy.

This is a great summary.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:21 am   
Golden Panther

I agree completely. It's exactly what I've been saying. Until FIU football--for the first time in its 17 year history--is able to put a dominant OL and DL on the field, it will never come close to cracking the top 25 and challenging legitimate teams on a regular basis.

Coach Davis and staff have failed in that regard so far.

The reason we are 0-2 this year is simple... the performance of the OL.

It's true Morgan needs to get better when facing pressure, but the OL has been truly horrible. If Morgan doesn't stay healthy and the OL doesn't get vastly better, we're in for a loooooong season.

Official Name:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:23 pm   
Golden Panther

And having a QB who could both throw and move a bit was why we won the Bahamas Bowl, IMHO. Not having one only magnifies the OL problem. You guys can keep saying "We need to protect Morgan better," and "Morgan needs to improve," but that is like saying, "We need to win the Lottery." Morgan is pretty much who he is and the OL seems to be pretty raw. How about PLAN C? Give one of the QBs who can move and throw a few snaps and see if there is any upside there. Wiggins has had his few snaps. "NEXT!" Show of hands, who thinks Plan C will be tried unless both Morgan and Wiggins are laid out?