It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:43 pm

Game day: WKU @ FIU

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:25 am   
Juvenile Panther

Interested to see if there are changes coming, philosophy, personal, this team is under performing

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:50 am   
Golden Panther

Well we seem to have come full circle, back among the dregs of a conference that itself barely matters, no apparent hope of rising anytime soon. What fresh new talent has this coaching staff unveiled over the past three seasons, what zesty play calling approach on offense or defense, what real reason to show up on Saturday night? Even if we had managed not to fumble on the 2 yard line and had beaten that truly stinky team we played, with a tight end whom I could have covered, who could have said that it was a fun game to watch?

Butch's great achievement in my view was to come in and get rid of the trash and maximize what Turner had put in place these past two years. I do not think we would have won the bowl game last year had we not been forced into playing Christian Alexander owing to Morgan's injury, just as we looked godawful in the previous bowl when Butch stubbornly refused to play CA when McGough went down. I respect and like Butch Davis and all that he has achieved and I believe he conducts his business with honor and integrity, but like Mark Richt, I believe that he has settled into a rigid mind frame that limits his vision, and that, failing a willingness to clean house and turn over much of the day to day operations of the coaching and recruiting to a coaching staff more closely attuned to today's players and the way the game has evolved, especially on the other than P5 non-Pro level, we will end up just like FAU was over HS's last several years. At least the Owls got a stadium out of their grand old man, but us, we can't even get 1,000 students through the gates. Maybe recruiting is now more consistently at the 3 star level but if walk ons are shunting many of those aside, the team play is going backward instead of forward, and your very few star recruits are proving to be total busts, just what the hey is going on?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:02 am   
Golden Panther

Let's give credit where credit is due: It would seem that Heatherly's sessions with his shrink paid off. I thought he looked pretty darned good. One clunker, one just ok, but all the rest downright impressive. Gold star Master Heatherly. SOMEbody oughta get one, along with our middle linebacker, of course.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:39 am   
Puma

Only thing keeping hope alive is 2017 season where we got destroyed by UCF and almost lost to alcorn state. Barely beat rice, but then things got rolling

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:55 am   
Golden Panther

All I can say right now is that I hope that James Morgan is OK and will be able to play soon. It should be clear after watching the game yesterday that we have no hope of winning anything with Wiggins as our QB. He reminded me of Maurice Alexander back there.

Our defense played much better and gave me hope. That was good to see. We still need to get more consistent pressure on the QB, but at least we didn't give up any big running plays and got some nice third down stops.

The immediate problem that we have to fix is our OL. The offensive line HAS to get better. Morgan had no time to throw. We have to protect him better. He's really struggled this year with pressure in his face, something he saw very little of last year. The coaches need to mix things up and find the right combination that works. Hopefully they can improve as the season goes on.

I'm behind our players. The effort was there. There's still time to turn things around.

Official Name:
State University of Florida at Miami, or
Miami State University of Florida, or
Miami Florida State University

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:20 am   
Puma

I just watched Butch Davis after game press conference. He mentioned a few times that on that last 4th down play, that James Morgan threw the ball right in the stomach of the receiver and if he caught it that he would of got in the endzone. Did the receiver really just drop that ball? I did not see it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:29 am   
Golden Panther

Yes, Gaitor dropped it. It was a tough catch in traffic with the safety bearing down on him, but he should have caught it. Once again, there were lots of drops. Not having Singleton hurt us again. Maurice Alexander dropped Wiggins' only decent throw all night. A beautiful ball right in his hands. Even the normally sure-handed Maloney dropped a ball.

Official Name:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:54 am   
Golden Panther

Point is, everything that last year would have gone right and allowed us to pull a mediocrely played game out of the fire, went wrong last night and exposed us for the basically 50-50 team we really are, one that needs the breaks to go our way in order to win. That may be acceptable when you are trying to scrap yourselves together, but not very reassuring for a third year outfit that you would like to think has had time to get its house in order. We shouldn't be hoping and praying we can get our house in order sometime this season, it should have been gotten in order during spring and fall practices. That is what quality programs and staffs do. Quality receivers who have been in systems for three years do not drop balls when games are on the line. That is what freshmen do. You don't groom a backup QB who cannot throw the ball in a system that is built around a pro-style QB. That is the freaking Gasparilla Bowl approach all over again. What the hell is this, the college football equivalent of Groundhog Day? Are you guys serious? Oh, two years ago, when we were really thought to be crappy, we somehow managed to blunder to a 8-5 record with some miraculous luck. Is that really what you would settle for in year three of a program that is supposed to be making freaking progress????? OMG, you tell me that we are going to have Maurice2 at the helm for a significant part of the season, I am going to order the hemlock right now.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:48 pm   
Golden Panther

We need to do better

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:16 pm   
Golden Panther

I’m dead inside...time for personnel changes, it should not be about any one player(s) it should be about the team. We play FCS UNH next week who lost 13-10 to Holy Cross. HOLY CROSS!! It is time to see wholesale personnel changes for next week. Are you gonna tell me that some of these prized 3 star recruits from the last few cycles are not ready to compete against a struggling FCS program? Shake things up big time for next week and cut the crap trusting the players who are entitled at this point. Competition makes players better right??? If so then let’s see some of the kids who have been waiting for their opportunity. I traveled for the Tulane game and thought I couldn’t feel any worse about our team after that loss but last night was downright astonishing to witness. SHAKE UP THE ROSTER, FULL STOP! I have no idea if these guys are not healthy or what? but what the HELL do we have to lose at this point?

Shaun Peterson?
Demarcus Townsend?
Flex Joseph?
Cadarius Gaskins?
Jamal Anderson?
Donovan Georges?
Josh Turner?
Kane Taylor?
Gunderson?
Finau?
Corbett?
Henry Omu?
Brighthaupt?
Nate Jefferson?
Kris Mitchell?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:44 pm   
Golden Panther

FIUPIKE wrote:
I’m dead inside...time for personnel changes, it should not be about any one player(s) it should be about the team. We play FCS UNH next week who lost 13-10 to Holy Cross. HOLY CROSS!! It is time to see wholesale personnel changes for next week. Are you gonna tell me that some of these prized 3 star recruits from the last few cycles are not ready to compete against a struggling FCS program? Shake things up big time for next week and cut the crap trusting the players who are entitled at this point. Competition makes players better right??? If so then let’s see some of the kids who have been waiting for their opportunity. I traveled for the Tulane game and thought I couldn’t feel any worse about our team after that loss but last night was downright astonishing to witness. SHAKE UP THE ROSTER, FULL STOP! I have no idea if these guys are not healthy or what? but what the HELL do we have to lose at this point?

Shaun Peterson?
Demarcus Townsend?
Flex Joseph?
Cadarius Gaskins?
Jamal Anderson?
Donovan Georges?
Josh Turner?
Kane Taylor?
Gunderson?
Finau?
Corbett?
Henry Omu?
Brighthaupt?
Nate Jefferson?
Kris Mitchell?

Completely agree, there seems to be a lot of talent sitting on the sidelines.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:51 pm   
Golden Panther

FIUPIKE wrote:

Shaun Peterson?
Demarcus Townsend?
Flex Joseph?
Cadarius Gaskins?
Jamal Anderson?
Donovan Georges?
Josh Turner?
Kane Taylor?
Gunderson?
Finau?
Corbett?
Henry Omu?
Brighthaupt?
Nate Jefferson?
Kris Mitchell?

Yes!!!! This x 1 million!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:43 pm   
Cougar

Hello Fellow Panthers Fans,
I need to begin this post with an apology to all of you for my obvious ignorance and foolishness in making some bold predictions all which have been entirely off base. After seeing last night's game, I was shocked at just how far we have regressed in one year with essentially the same players and the added experience. What I personally witnessed in the WKU game was a team with so many issues that if I enumerated on all of them I would exceed the character limit allowed on this board! So please allow me to list them with very little comment on each.
Several fumbles, lack of defensive pursuit/hustle, no sacks or little pressure on the QB, several stupid penalties, lack of will (can't punch it in on a first and goal from the 2 or convert a first down on a less than one earlier), piss poor open field tackling, at least three critical dropped passes one of which could have been a game winner, over substitution (particularly in the 1st half) which looked like a Chinese fire drill, lack of offensive imagination in getting the ball more to N. Maxwell, D. Price and S. Palmer, coaches panicking and going to K. Wiggins for too long (I'm aware that J. Morgan was hurt but he could and did play more at the end of the game), a missed field goal and others that I have probably forgotten. I am by nature, as some of you have guessed, an optimist but after that debacle against a very poor team I don't see how we win more than three games at the most. We are going to be run off the field by LA Tech, FAU, UM and Marshall. They all play fast - we look like we're in slow motion comparatively. Speaking of slow motion, A. Jones is so slow to the point of attack it's hard to watch and he is taking reps away from the other more productive backs - just check the numbers. I initially predicted a 9-3 season. I fear that if something doesn't radically change, it will be the reverse of that or worse! I don't even know if I want to go to any more games this year. I know we have only played two games, but what I saw Saturday was a breakdown in all FOUR phases of the game - coaching being the 4th. I've told others to step away from the edge and yet I find myself there now. Again, I apologize for the apparently false optimism that I previously and continually have expressed but I feel better now that I have vented! I don't know if Coach Davis can reinvent this team but even as a avid supporter of his, I have my reservations that he will. As many of you have suggested, maybe it's time for a youth movement. Anyway, thanks for listening.
Interested in what y'all have to say as always. FIUPhil

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:51 pm   
Golden Panther

Diagodog wrote: "You don't groom a backup QB who cannot throw the ball in a system that is built around a pro-style QB. That is the freaking Gasparilla Bowl approach all over again. What the hell is this, the college football equivalent of Groundhog Day?"

Yes, this is indeed Groundhog Day.

Despite Coach Davis saying he learned his lesson, once again we do not have a serviceable backup now that Christian Alexander is the starting QB at Wagner. Granted, Wiggins is slightly better than Maurice Alexander, but only because he has a little more size. But he's essentially Maurice Alexander 2.0.

Our best backup QB is freshman Stone Norton. But I can all but guarantee you he won't see the field this year. Now, I probably wouldn't have played Stone last night either. But only because he played at a small school in Tennessee and didn't get to FIU until the Fall. So he needs a little more time to adjust to college life and the size and speed of college football. You can see on film Stone has some special gifts. I would have played Caleb Lynum. Lynum is better than Wiggins. Like Stone, he was more highly rated in high school, looked better on film, and by all accounts spins the ball better.

If Kaylan Wiggins is named the starting QB next year, I'm going to lose my mind.

Official Name:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:43 am   
Golden Panther

Well, SouthPaw, you better get a backup mind ready because I will bet you dollars to donuts that if Morgan cannot go on Saturday night, it WILL be Maurice 2.0 behind center. Butch has spent time in the NFL, you see, and if you have been an NFL coach, you never, ever go back to full rational thinking again. You come to believe that no one besides you and all the rest of the guys who have been in the fraternity could possibly know as much as you do about the game, you never think outside the box, you never take chances, and your players fit your system, you do not fit your system to your players. You want to doubt me, just watch what happens for the rest of this year here. That doesn't mean I don't like Butch Davis, mind you--I am just saying that is how he has been doing business from Day One and if he changes his spots because of what are to him a couple of piddly losses, I will be flabbergasted. Did you see how he was chirping along in the Herald interview this morning? It tells you all you need to know about his view of how full the glass is. Most of us on this board feel that the football landscape at FIU looks about like main street in Freeport. He's talking about what a dang tough game WKU would have been to win, but we'll be okay.