It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:20 am

Coach Davis' Recruiting

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:18 am   
Golden Panther

I think this deserves a separate thread. I'm not going to lie, I'm worried.

Everyone talks about how great of a recruiter Coach Davis is. But so far, I just don't see it.

How many of his recruits (out of high school) have made an impact during his tenure? Only a few have--Hall, Curtis, Singleton, Palmer. But not nearly enough. If you are really building a program and upgrading your recruiting, you should be getting better players every year. Players that are better than the guys you already have. If that's true, you'd expect to see many of your recruits playing right away, especially guys that don't play on the lines. You'd expect to more freshmen playing on teams that are ascending (like we should be) than on established programs whose recruiting has leveled off (like Alabama).

And yet I watch other college football programs--even well-established programs--and see freshmen making HUGE contributions right away. Contributions right out of the gate in game one. Not at FIU.

Look at Zay Flowers at Boston College for example, a WR we recruited. He's not that much more highly rated than guys we've brought in at WR. He's already having a monster year at BC with over 100 yards of production per game. I see this all the time.

Where are our freshmen that are making huge impacts? Nowhere. They never see the field. Look at WR as an example.

None of the WRs Coach Davis and staff brought in over the last two years have made any significant impacts: Zahir Turner (not with program), Maurquel Dillard (moved to DB), Ivan Thomas, DeAndre Williams, Cadarius Gaskin, Jordan Underwood (moved to DB).

It's the same story at LB. And RB. And DB. Nothing from the last two recruiting classes.

On paper, that tells me he's recruiting "projects" that need time developing. Maybe for a few guys that's true. But I don't buy it for all of our recruits. We have a lot of highly-rated players who should be making an impact immediately. Just like you see at other programs. These are guys who are rated much higher than guys on the current roster. But they never see the field.

That's a problem. That tells me there's a big problem in our recruiting. Or our talent evaluation. Or our coaching. No matter what the cause, it's a big problem that needs to be addressed.

Official Name:
State University of Florida at Miami, or
Miami State University of Florida, or
Miami Florida State University

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:50 pm   
Golden Panther

SouthPaw, you do have some crazy takes but this one I can get behind. I really don’t understand Butch’s apparent hesitation in playing younger guys. Why the hell is Nate Jefferson not returning kicks? Do we really have no one else better on the O-line? At LB? Kane Taylor? I mean I don’t wanna second guess Butch, but it’s hard to get much worse...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:56 am   
Golden Panther

Well, Dynasty, I have been saying exactly the same thing the past couple of days. The only person Butch has brought in the past two years who's made a notable impact is Morgan, and guess what--the results of the Bahamas Bowl suggest to me that Christian Alexander just might have been the better, more versatile quarterback all along. I sure wish it were he we were turning to as a backup right now as opposed to Kaylin Wiggins. Why on earth would you run a kid like Alexander off to Wagner? Furthermore, what does it say about your recruiting ability when of the god knows how many LB's we have recruited in his three classes, most of them still at the position are buried behind walk-ons in the depth chart? And as for the lack of size on both lines? Three years in a row, and now going on four? We have a 6'9", 380 lb lineman on our roster. I do not care if the coaches think he can't play worth a lick. None of the guys who have been in there seem to be able to play worth a lick. Why wouldn't you say, hey, Andre the Giant, when the University of New Hampshire at Vermont comes to town, you're going to start. If you suck, you're coming out, but we're tired of you taking up all that space at the training table for nothing. Go out there and hit someone. The fact that this isn't going to happen is the trouble with a bunch of pro coaches who think they know everything and this is why it hasn't been any fun to go to an FIU game since T.Y. Hilton played (and I have been to them all.)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:39 pm   
Golden Panther

Diagodog wrote:
Well, Dynasty, I have been saying exactly the same thing the past couple of days. The only person Butch has brought in the past two years who's made a notable impact is Morgan, and guess what--the results of the Bahamas Bowl suggest to me that Christian Alexander just might have been the better, more versatile quarterback all along. I sure wish it were he we were turning to as a backup right now as opposed to Kaylin Wiggins. Why on earth would you run a kid like Alexander off to Wagner? Furthermore, what does it say about your recruiting ability when of the god knows how many LB's we have recruited in his three classes, most of them still at the position are buried behind walk-ons in the depth chart? And as for the lack of size on both lines? Three years in a row, and now going on four? We have a 6'9", 380 lb lineman on our roster. I do not care if the coaches think he can't play worth a lick. None of the guys who have been in there seem to be able to play worth a lick. Why wouldn't you say, hey, Andre the Giant, when the University of New Hampshire at Vermont comes to town, you're going to start. If you suck, you're coming out, but we're tired of you taking up all that space at the training table for nothing. Go out there and hit someone. The fact that this isn't going to happen is the trouble with a bunch of pro coaches who think they know everything and this is why it hasn't been any fun to go to an FIU game since T.Y. Hilton played (and I have been to them all.)

No way is Christian Alexander a better QB than James Morgan. He's better at read option, no question. More athletic for sure. I'm with you in that I wish he had stayed. He may have won the WKU game. But Morgan is superior in most ways. Better vision and better arm in particular.

And I wouldn't say "run off" is fair. Guy's been a benchwarmer most of his FIU career and would've been the same again this year. Why not go somewhere where he can play? Especially if he got the degree. I think that's very understandable. You only have so many shots at this.