GAMEDAY: UNH @ F I U

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:07 pm   
Site Admin

This is going to be bad next week.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:14 pm   
Golden Panther

A win is a win. I will take it. Ask Georgia Tech...

BUT:

1) holy crap our O-line May be the worst in the nation. Wtf happened?

2) Wiggins is pretty quick. Thank goodness. But Morgan is our best chance at winning between the two of them.

3) Why did our defense play such soft coverage in the first half? Took until the fourth quarter to force a three and out. So embarrassing.

4) Wtf happened to Jose?

5) La Tech is going to crush us next week.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:45 am   
Golden Panther

Building A Dynasty wrote:
A win is a win. I will take it. Ask Georgia Tech...

BUT:

1) holy crap our O-line May be the worst in the nation. Wtf happened?

2) Wiggins is pretty quick. Thank goodness. But Morgan is our best chance at winning between the two of them.

3) Why did our defense play such soft coverage in the first half? Took until the fourth quarter to force a three and out. So embarrassing.

4) Wtf happened to Jose?

5) La Tech is going to crush us next week.

1) That's a $$$$ good question. New Hampshire was definitely finding traction all night long against both lines. That's definitely the biggest worry moving forward. I don't see an easy fix at this point.

2) Given the current state of the O-line, I'm not so sure Morgan is better than Wiggins.

#7 executed read option much better that #12 did in the past two games. Granted, the competition level can't be discounted, but Wiggins showed last night how vital it is for FIU's offense to run read (and read-pass) options correctly. FIU wouldn't have won without that. It's a basic staple of the offense.

If Morgan can't do RPO's right and the O-line keeps being a turnstile, then it may have to be Wiggins if you want to see any wins this year. And, even then, it's going to be of the "scoring more than the other team" variety because this D (especially the line) is Swiss cheese.

Make no mistake... Morgan is definitely the better QB than Wiggins. But KW is way more mobile and I saw enough in the arm last night that I have some optimism moving forward that he can improve. He threw some decent balls.

3) It seems clear to me that the coaches don't trust the defensive players to run anything more than basic Pee Wee vanilla stuff. UNH was the perfect opponent to do some risk-taking with.

4) Kicking is so $$$$ mental and something's going on between the kid's ears, clearly. I hope the last FG at the end gave him some confidence. I don't see how FIU's going to win any close games without him. A better team probably makes FIU pay for some of his misses.

5) Unless something drastic happens, the D is going to get mauled in CUSA play. I don't care who the opponent is. Get ready for some basketball scores if you expect FIU to win at all.

FIUPantherFan wrote:
We need a new defensive coordinator.

At this point, I have to agree. I don't think we're that talented, but I do think we're more talented than what we've shown. Maybe another coach gets more out of these guys. But that's probably after the season, if at all.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:04 am   
Golden Panther

I can't believe you guys are even debating if we should be playing Wiggins over Morgan. Morgan is an NFL-caliber quarterback. Wiggins isn't even a D-1 caliber QB. Yes, he can run the ball. And he played well against NH last night because they keyed on stopping the run inside. But he cannot throw the ball. He has no accuracy. He either vastly underthrows or overthrows receivers regularly. He has no pocket presence under pressure. His instinct is always to run first. We've completed a total of 36 passes in three games. That's 12 per game. We'll never beat good teams throwing the ball that few times with Wiggins at QB. Can you imagine what's going to happen if a team gets a big lead on us with Wiggins at QB? They're going to dare him to throw the ball. I believe we would have won by even more points if Calub Lynum was given the ball last night.

The real answer is that WE SHOULD NOT BE PLAYING A RUN-OPTION OFFENSE WITH JAMES MORGAN AT QB. Our opponents know Morgan is no running threat. So what's the point of running that offense? You have to run an offense that fits the talents of your players and Skrosky isn't doing that.

We're in for a long season if the coaches can't figure out how to make our OL better. Our OL is just bad. Dallas Connell should be moved to guard immediately. We can't afford any more bad snaps. McGough should be playing center. Or someone else.

A couple more thoughts after watching the game:

1. I hate to admit it because I love Anthony Jones, but it's now clear to me that D'Vonte Price is our best running back (at least of the running backs that are getting playing time. I still believe that Demarcus Townsend if healthy is our best RB). He should be our #1. Of course, don't expect that to happen with coaches that reward tenure over talent.

2. Not having Bryce Singleton is really hurting us. He's our best WR. With Singleton and JJ next year, we'll have some real weapons on the outside. But of course, if Wiggins is given the starting QB job next year (shudder), he'll never be able to fully utilize them. What a waste that will be. That's exactly why Lynum or Norton should be playing this year. Wake up coaches!

3. Maurice Alexander needs to touch the ball more in space

4. Chris Whittaker played a handful of plays last night. So that's at least some good news for our defense. But it really pisses me off that he was essentially robbed of two games this year because the NCAA is so slow to clear players.

5. I'm not writing this season off yet. I think next week will tell us everything. There's a chance we could do better than we all expect against La Tech. Of course, if we get blown out and Morgan is back, I think it's game over for this season.

Official Name:
State University of Florida at Miami, or
Miami State University of Florida, or
Miami Florida State University

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:21 pm   
Golden Panther

SouthPaw wrote:
I can't believe you guys are even debating if we should be playing Wiggins over Morgan. Morgan is an NFL-caliber quarterback. Wiggins isn't even a D-1 caliber QB. Yes, he can run the ball. And he played well against NH last night because they keyed on stopping the run inside. But he cannot throw the ball. He has no accuracy. He either vastly underthrows or overthrows receivers regularly. He has no pocket presence under pressure. His instinct is always to run first. We've completed a total of 36 passes in three games. That's 12 per game. We'll never beat good teams throwing the ball that few times with Wiggins at QB. Can you imagine what's going to happen if a team gets a big lead on us with Wiggins at QB? They're going to dare him to throw the ball. I believe we would have won by even more points if Calub Lynum was given the ball last night.

The real answer is that WE SHOULD NOT BE PLAYING A RUN-OPTION OFFENSE WITH JAMES MORGAN AT QB. Our opponents know Morgan is no running threat. So what's the point of running that offense? You have to run an offense that fits the talents of your players and Skrosky isn't doing that.

We're in for a long season if the coaches can't figure out how to make our OL better. Our OL is just bad. Dallas Connell should be moved to guard immediately. We can't afford any more bad snaps. McGough should be playing center. Or someone else.

A couple more thoughts after watching the game:

1. I hate to admit it because I love Anthony Jones, but it's now clear to me that D'Vonte Price is our best running back (at least of the running backs that are getting playing time. I still believe that Demarcus Townsend if healthy is our best RB). He should be our #1. Of course, don't expect that to happen with coaches that reward tenure over talent.

2. Not having Bryce Singleton is really hurting us. He's our best WR. With Singleton and JJ next year, we'll have some real weapons on the outside. But of course, if Wiggins is given the starting QB job next year (shudder), he'll never be able to fully utilize them. What a waste that will be. That's exactly why Lynum or Norton should be playing this year. Wake up coaches!

3. Maurice Alexander needs to touch the ball more in space

4. Chris Whittaker played a handful of plays last night. So that's at least some good news for our defense. But it really pisses me off that he was essentially robbed of two games this year because the NCAA is so slow to clear players.

5. I'm not writing this season off yet. I think next week will tell us everything. There's a chance we could do better than we all expect against La Tech. Of course, if we get blown out and Morgan is back, I think it's game over for this season.

I completely agree that Morgan shouldn't be doing read-option. The problem is that's a basic staple of the offense. And it's not like that's a new struggle with Morgan. We saw it last year.

I think it's more likely we see a QB switch before you see RPO's out of the playbook. I don't see the coaches making that drastic of a change during the season. Especially this early. If that was going to happen, you would've seen it in training camp or spring ball.

If Davis and the OC insist on RPO's - and I think they will - then I think they have to consider removing Morgan as QB1 and giving Wiggins a shot at this point. I think that's especially true if #12 continues to struggle doing RPO's vs. LaTech.

I suspect that's the reason you saw Wiggins start and play the whole game vs. UNH. Morgan was dressed, so it's not like he couldn't have played. That smelled like a job audition to me. Or a wake-up call to #12. Either way, it's a bad sign for Morgan.

Morgan may be an NFL-caliber QB, but this isn't the NFL. College is more about systems. Wiggins is better for RPO's, even with his accuracy problems. At least he's not Maurice Alexander bad. Maybe he gets better with more reps and playing time. I wouldn't discount that completely. He's still very young.

I'm still not totally sold on Price, but he definitely showed some flashes last night. I'd like a bit more consistency, though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:38 pm   
Golden Panther

I am happy we won. If new orange shoes hadn't left 10 gimmee points on the field it would have looked a lot better. Maybe his handling kickoffs is screwing up his placekicking.

But IMO, very little is going to carry over to the next game, That is the weakest team we will face all year and only the fact that we wore them down saved us. Anyways, it is clear we wont be doing any scheming and only injury is going to affect who plays from here on out.

I'd go on to the hot dog report, but I am really not sure I can stand it. Please, someone tell me, at what other stadium in America do they charge $1 extra if you want onions on your hot dog?

Could be worse though. We could be the Dolphins board.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:08 am   
Golden Panther

Diagodog wrote:
I am happy we won. If new orange shoes hadn't left 10 gimmee points on the field it would have looked a lot better. Maybe his handling kickoffs is screwing up his placekicking.

But IMO, very little is going to carry over to the next game, That is the weakest team we will face all year and only the fact that we wore them down saved us. Anyways, it is clear we wont be doing any scheming and only injury is going to affect who plays from here on out.

I'd go on to the hot dog report, but I am really not sure I can stand it. Please, someone tell me, at what other stadium in America do they charge $1 extra if you want onions on your hot dog?

Could be worse though. We could be the Dolphins board.

At least the Dolphins are intentionally bad.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:25 am   
Golden Panther

This game was bad... I mean, yah, we got the W, but it'll be the only one all season honestly. Plus, we are "hosting" UM this season and we are going to have our most lopsided loss of the season there. UM dropped about a million points on bethune cookman this weekend and we aren't any better.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:20 am   
Golden Panther

FIU Beisbol wrote:
This game was bad... I mean, yah, we got the W, but it'll be the only one all season honestly. Plus, we are "hosting" UM this season and we are going to have our most lopsided loss of the season there. UM dropped about a million points on bethune cookman this weekend and we aren't any better.

Okay, let’s step away from the cliff.... We are definitely winning more games this year. The schedule is pretty weak.. especially UMass....

Is this team good? No. But are they 1-11 bad? Highly doubt it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:21 am   
Golden Panther

La Tech is a 9 point favorite this week btw. I guess not as bad as I thought it would be.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:24 am   
Golden Panther

Let’s shock ‘em this Friday night! Go Panthers!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:36 am   
Golden Panther

Building A Dynasty wrote:
La Tech is a 9 point favorite this week btw. I guess not as bad as I thought it would be.

They also scraped by a FCS school.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:57 am   
Cougar

Hello Fellow Panther Fans,
At the risk of being redundant (due to all the observations already posted here), I wanted to share my brief thoughts of the UNH game as my wife and I sat through the rain to watch the sloppy play. I thought I might do this in a bad news/good news format (every one wants the bad news first!)
1. Bad news - K. Wiggins ain't no J. Morgan. Good news - He didn't have to be against UNH.
2. Bad news - That was one UGLY win. Good news - An ugly win is much better than a pretty loss.
3. Bad news - Right now our offense stinks and K. Wiggins isn't the answer. Good news - I'm hoping we will get much better when J. Morgan returns and the real threat of down field passes exists.
4. Bad news - A. Jones 3.1 ypc, N. Maxwell 2.1 ypc. Good news - D. Price 6.1 ypc. Who should be getting 15-20 touches per game?
5. Bad news - Our offense right now is bad. Good news - T. Heatherly can punt (50+ yard avg.) and seems to be the real deal.
6. Bad news - The same base 4-3, no blitz defense for the first three quarters. Good news - Some blitzes in the last quarter! AND some other guys got on the field - J. Anderson, A. Jean-Baptiste, J. Turner, C. Wittaker etc.!!!!
7. Bad news - Where was D. Hall the 2nd half of the game? Was he injured? I would argue he is the best and most consistent player in the secondary. Good news - We still gave up only 20 pts. (albeit to a weak team).
I think that's about it! Interested, as always, in what y'all have to say! FIUPhil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:58 pm   
Golden Panther

We don’t see blitzes because they are utilizing a “read and react” defensive scheme. This is popular in the pros, but it requires a very high level of talent and football IQ. We don’t have it, and therefore should be running a more disciplined defense.