All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:01 pm   
Golden Panther

BAM! Right in the kisser out the gate.

Panthers up baby.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:11 pm   
Golden Panther

These Yokle refs are murdering us.

Good Lord. That 4th down sack was such a momentum swinger.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:06 pm   
Site Admin

The defense is horrible.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:17 pm   
Puma

FIUPantherFan wrote:
The defense is horrible.

Yup, garbage. No resistance even.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:18 pm   
Juvenile Panther

FIUPantherFan wrote:
The defense is horrible.

I wonder if your strength and conditioning program is good enough. Your team seems to lack physicality.

Morgan has a great arm, but he throws a lot of risky passes. Sometimes interceptions happen because a receiver cut the wrong way so I don't know if Morgan was responsible for that pick he just threw but it looked pretty ugly.

At least FIU was competitive. Hopefully they're getting better and hopefully they can pull out 6 wins.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:57 am   
Golden Panther

1) The officiating was terrible. Just so bad. How can you review the Anthony Jones TD and not think it was a TD??? The whole CBS Sports team said it was a TD. That 7-point swing totally changes the game. Then, later on, they miss the obvious false start by La Tech, so our guys don't move on defense expecting a whistle, then La Tech scores. Not only that, but on the very same play Sage Lewis suffers what looks to be a terrible injury. One could argue he got hurt because everyone was out of position. Literally adding insult to injury.

2) Offense looked way better, especially in the first half. The O-line gave Morgan a lot more time to throw the ball in general (what happened to Demery? He looks worse....). I'm not sure yet about bringing in Wiggins randomly. I feel like it could throw off the rhythm of the offense. Third down conversions were again awful. This is a huge problem.

3) The d-line at times got more pressure on the opposing QB than they have all season. But they looked shaky in the 2nd half, especially once Sage went out. I am terrified to see what they are like without Sage. For the life of me, I don't understand why our DCs consistently want to play soft coverage on the corners. We looked out of position so many times for the zone-read. It's definitely partially a coaching issue. I really would like a new DC. It's hard to believe I'm watching a Butch Davis defense out there.

4) The next few games are pretty easy, and FIU really should win them, but it sucks that at this point, the team is really only playing to try and be bowl-eligible compared to pre-season expectations.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:59 am   
Golden Panther

Another thought: What happened to Sterling Palmer? I thought he would have a huge season. Not one catch from him...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:32 am   
Golden Panther

Building A Dynasty wrote:
Another thought: What happened to Sterling Palmer? I thought he would have a huge season. Not one catch from him...

We apparently don’t feel a need to utilize our receiving TE and tall WRs that can create physical mismatches.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:43 am   
Golden Panther

Well, it's official. This season is over. Another hugely disappointing bust for the record books of FIU football. Right up there with the 2006 and 2012 seasons.

A few thoughts/observations:

1. Once again, we lost the line of scrimmage. And once again, that's why we lost the game. I'll say it again... FIU has never had OLs or DLs that consistently won the line of scrimmage. Until we do, our program is going nowhere. Nowhere. If Coach Davis doesn't understand this by now, he never will. You have to build starting with the lines. Until FIU gets this, it is destined to continue disappointing.

2. Sage Lewis goes down injured and who replaces him? Rocky Jacques-Louis. Who's third on the depth chart at middle linebacker? A walk-on, Dimitry Prophete. At another LB spot we have a walk-on starting, Daniel Jackson. And he's backed up by another walk-on, Josh Powell. Who didn't play? Only the highest-rated LB we've ever had on the roster, Donovan Georges. Not only that, but three other LBs who were rated higher coming out of high school than even Sage Lewis didn't play. Incredible. Just incredible. Where is the talent evaluation?

3. Once again, our best WR didn't play. According to Eric Henry, Bryce Singleton is out with a leg injury and there is no timetable for him to return. When did he get injured? How? He hasn't played a down of football since last year. I've seen no reporting of this anywhere. I guess the media doesn't consider him an important player for our team. Incredible.

4. Jose Borregales missed his third field goal of the year of less than 40 yards. I think it's time to go with another kicker.

5. What has Isaiah Brown ever done that warrants him starting?

Official Name:
State University of Florida at Miami, or
Miami State University of Florida, or
Miami Florida State University

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:54 am   
Golden Panther

Offense played a lot better on friday, but still, too many mistakes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:16 pm   
Golden Panther

We miss Budwig and Worton immensely on offense. As the Notre Dame QB said on air, it is hard to win and when you lose a few key pieces, all of a sudden it gets REAL hard. And I don't know why they won't call Palmer's number. I didn't key on him, but either they didn't call his number or he is just too slow to get open. The play calling is in general stupendously unimaginative. You telling me there is no way to get the ball in Maurice Alexander's hands in space? The punter has proven to be worth every penny they paid him to transfer and Morgan looks good for a one-legged guy. Too bad he has a shabby line and a bunch of OK receivers lacking a go-to guy. 400 yards without a left tackle, a burner or a real athlete to throw to? that is good, friends. And Maloney is our overachieving Danny Armendola.

The DL played with more intensity. They just don't have much talent. The LB's aren't very big but they are slow. Please God, let Sage be OK, but that looked like a bad hammy to me.

I don't think Butch has recruited very well, I don't think he is a very good game day coach, having made up his mind about every single thing he is going to do about on Tuesday, and we simply haven't had the same level of talent on the field as the three teams we have lost to, that is basically the 1-3 story. I wish we had someone on this board who knew about some of the issues South Paw keeps bringing up. Doesn't ANYBODY know ANYBODY????? Is Donovan Georges on house arrest? Has Singleton developed a club foot? Jesus H. Christ, doesn't somebody from the student freaking BODY know some malcontent on the team who will tell a story or two? I have never been around such a no news program in all my days.

Two things I am pretty sure about: we are not going to lose this week, and we are going to beat the University of Massapequasocket the week after.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:22 am   
Golden Panther

The recruiting question is a legitimate one. Save for three transfers, we haven’t seen the talent that has been recruited show up at all. We’ve had the highest rated recruits in the history of the program, the highest rated recruits in conference, and they are no where to be seen.

That either means we have done a terrible job evaluating talent, or a terrible job developing it. I don’t know what is going on, but this an extreme regression by the team, and it is very disheartening.

Additionally, I really just wonder what is the goal here? The administration seems obsessed with athletics, so it only seems fair to ask what is their vision? Frankly I don’t know what it is. Was it quickly fielding an FBS squad? Was it getting into the right conference? What does being in the right conference mean? We left the SBC for CUSA, and now CUSA is worse than the SBC. Is it getting to the AAC? If so, how? Why would they take us?

Really, I just don’t get it. FBS is already a rigged system, but within that system we are in the worst conference. In basketball, where a mid-major can be competitive, there are multiple smaller conferences that are better than CUSA. The MAC, A-10, and SoCon; all with better placement in the NCAA and NIT.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:01 am   
Golden Panther

The recruiting question is very interesting. I don't think we did a solid job evaluating talent, but two main things have happened:

1) We have failed to bring in (or keep) enough talent along both the D-line and O-line

2) We have done a poor job of developing that talent

Let's take a look at the the O-line classes since 2017 (Butch's first class):

2017:
1) Cody Bowes --> Highly recruited, never made it to campus.
2) Willa Pierre --> 3-star guy who never contributed and transferred
3) Mershawn Miller --> 2-star guy who is starting now

2018:
1) D'Antne Demery --> Former High-school All-American and Georgia signee. Incredible upside. Showed promise last year. Has regressed significantly this year. Should be first-team all conference without question. Instead he's throwing punches and getting kicked out of the La Tech game. Whiffing on multiple pass rushes. Not sure what his deal is, but the failure to develop Demery is squarely on the coaches. Nonetheless, he is our starting LT.
2) John Bolding --> Little Saucy transferred. Never contributed on game day (was hurt I think).
3) Lyndell Hudson --> Has seen some snaps, but seems to still be a work-in-progress.

2019:
1) Sione Finau --> Good prospect. In the 2-deep now as a true freshman.
2) Julius Pierce --> See above.
3) Logan Gunderson --> JUCO product. Should have been immediate impact if evaluated properly, but has failed to see any significant playing time. Not good.
4) Shamar Hobdy-Lee --> Work-in-progress. Not fair to evaluate a true freshman.

As you can see above, we did a horrible job in the 2017 and 2018 classes, and that's part of the reason we are so thin at O-line now. Most of the talent we did bring in never worked out. You are basically seeing a bunch of two-star prospects out there who are playing like it. Not sure what Demery's case is. Even the JUCO guys we brought in aren't seeing the rotation. I am terrified to see what the O-line looks like next year after losing Dallas and Taylor.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:12 am   
Golden Panther

A similar case can be made for the D-line. Here are the classes since 2017:

2017:
1) Rashad Colson --> 3-star guy who looks very slow off the snap at the DT position. Is struggling to crack the 2-deep at a very weak DT spot.
2) Noah Curtis --> 3-star. Starting DE. Not really a playmaker, but a solid contributer.
3) Kevin Oliver --> 3-star. Fringe starter. Meh.

2018:
1) Teair-Tart --> 4-star. Best player on the D-line, but hasn't been very consistent. Really the only guy who has shown he is able to get push up the middle.
2) Tayland Humphrey --> 4-star. Tremendous bust. Transferred after one year.
3) Jason Mercier --> 3-star. Contributed as a true freshman last year and is in the 2-deep this year.
4) Kam Burns --> 2-star. Redshirted last year. Hasn't looked very impressive this year.

2019:
1) Nate White --> Will redshirt. TBD.
2) Ty Danzy --> See above.
3) Alexy Jean-Baptiste --> Transfer who shows promise. I thought he was eligible so I'm not sure why he isn't playing.
4) Chris Whittaker --> See above, but is playing. Had a nice sack against La Tech.

WE SIGNED ZERO DTs IN THE 2019 CLASS AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHY.

The DT position has failed this team. Point blank, period. They are simply putrid outside of Teair. The DEs fail to get a consistent pass rush and are awful at stopping the run. In our weakest position, how do you not sign anyone in the class of 2019?

We have done a terrible job recruiting/developing both the D-line and O-line in my opinion. The D-line is particularly shocking considering Butch's experience in this area. I have no idea what we do once Teair graduates. I'm guessing try the JUCO/transfer route again. Good luck. We know how that turns out...

The scary part is this: We are bad this year, and the lines may very well regress again next year. We have landed some stud skill position players recruiting under Butch, but man these lines... Yikes. At least the O-line shows signs of promise with some of the young guys.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:33 pm   
Golden Panther

Great analysis, Building A Dynasty. You are seeing the same thing I am. You can extend that analysis to LB and you'd see the same thing.

Like I've said for years, if you don't build from the lines out, you're not going to win consistently. FIU has never, ever, ever, ever, ever had OLs or DLs that consistently won the line of scrimmage. Ever. That alone explains our disastrous historical win/loss record. Why a guy like Butch Davis can't understand that (or fix that) is beyond me.

Next year is going to be a complete catastrophe if we can't fix the lines. Not only that, but the coaches look like they're going to start a QB in Wiggins that has zero pocket poise and can't throw the ball accurately. One of our best position groups next year will be WR, and we'll have no ability to take advantage of it.

I can't wait to see Wiggins play against a D1 defense that knows he can't pass. It will be Wayne Younger all over again. This is starting to feel like the Mario Cristobal days again.

Official Name:
State University of Florida at Miami, or
Miami State University of Florida, or
Miami Florida State University