PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:35 am   
Site Admin

phpBB [video]

Ricardo Silva Stadium
Oct. 12 (FRI) 7:00 P.M.
TV: ESPN +
RADIO: AM 790 THE TICKET
LINE: FIU

All stories and reports regarding FIU's game against UNCC can be posted here. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:43 pm   
Golden Panther

FIU is actually a 6.5 point favorite somehow...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:21 pm   
Golden Panther

Home +3, Morgan +3. I'd say that's about right. It may turn out to have no relation to reality, but that is often the case when trying to handicap college football.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:19 am   
Golden Panther

Just win, that's all that matters.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:48 am   
Golden Panther

I guess no game day thread or any comments?

That was a pretty good win for FIU. Starting to look like the team we thought we would see. FIU plays a pretty bad UTEP team next week.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:50 pm   
Golden Panther

You have to give the guys credit for pulling things together and restoring hope for salvaging this season. As I said a few weeks ago, as long as we have James Morgan at QB, we're going to have a chance. And if the OL can start to gel, we'd be in most if not all games. Thankfully, the OL seems to be gelling. That's been the difference. If they can give Captain Morgan just a little bit of time, we'll be fine.

Finally moving Shane McGough to center and Dallas Connell to guard (as I said we needed to to after game 2) has paid big dividends. So has getting Lyndell Hudson into the mix. He is playing well. Devontay Taylor also. We needed to find the right combination.

On defense, I think it's pretty clear that the two new guys--Whitaker and Jean-Baptiste--are a big part of the reason why we are playing better on that side of the ball. I was wondering where they were at the start of the season. It is an absolute travesty that the NCAA didn't clear those two guys before the season started. They literally robbed these kids of three games of their NCAA careers. If the coaches would now come to their senses and start playing Donovan Georges and Ni'Kendrick Carter at LB, we might actually have something to get excited about. Jamal Gates makes a play here and there, but he's too slow. So is Daniel Jackson and Josh Powell.

And at this point in the season, I hope we redshirt Bryce Singleton, our best WR. He's lost half the season. No point wasting a year on him at this point.

And speaking of WR, I don't know if you guys noticed, but Malik Tyson is getting playing time at WR now. He's a former walk-on QB who converted to WR. So now we have another walk-on--who played a different position in high school--getting minutes ahead of heralded freshmen and sophomore WRs. Where is Cadarius Gaskin? Nate Jefferson? Maurquel Dillard? Kris Mitchell? DeAndre Williams? Ivan Thomas? It's looking like WR is another position group (like the LBs) that has been a recruiting failure for this coaching staff. Now it's not just at LB where we have walk-ons getting playing time ahead of highly recruited kids.

And the coaches need to get serious about figuring out who our QB is going to be next year when Captain Morgan (gulp) is no longer with us. The answer is NOT Kaylan Wiggins. He's a nice runner, but he can't throw it. So move him to WR or RB and maximize his talent like you did with Hardtime (and are doing now Malik Tyson). The coaches--if they were smart--would start giving regular season reps to either Lynum or Norton. They better start thinking about next year soon or we're going to lose half the season next year figuring out who should be under center.

Official Name:
State University of Florida at Miami, or
Miami State University of Florida, or
Miami Florida State University

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:47 pm   
Golden Panther

Barring another JC (or otherwise) transfer, Stone Norton will win the QB job in spring, and start as a redshirt freshman. Wiggins, unless he decides the grass is greener at Valdosta State, will remain as the change of pace sub. We can beat UTEP and Old Dogpile, but it is going to be close as to whether there is a 6th win in our future. Our coaches need to improve as recruiters, that is what I think. I think it stinks that our home season is over with at the end of October.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:35 am   
Juvenile Panther

The rest of the season will be interesting. It would be nice to have legitimate updates about the team and position groups. It is believed we have some talented underclassmen but for whatever reason they haven't seen the field. These type situations create the transfer roller coaster. Most programs will at least ATTEMPT backups and underclassmen with large leads or cake games. How can we discredit players without seeing them in not even ONE real game?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:47 am   
Golden Panther

ItsFIU wrote:
The rest of the season will be interesting. It would be nice to have legitimate updates about the team and position groups. It is believed we have some talented underclassmen but for whatever reason they haven't seen the field. These type situations create the transfer roller coaster. Most programs will at least ATTEMPT backups and underclassmen with large leads or cake games. How can we discredit players without seeing them in not even ONE real game?

I'm not sure about this. There have been multiple freshmen that saw playing time the last two games. For example, Flex Joseph and Shaun Peterson have received multiple carries. Finau got some playing time along the O-line. Hudson started last game as a redshirt freshman. Kam Williams has been a huge contributor all year at the H-back spot as a true freshman. David Reynolds has played in every game at DE as a true freshman. I could also list multiple sophomores that have played.

I think the coaching staff is giving guys a chance. They are just playing who they believe the best guys are. It makes sense that many are upper-classmen.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:53 am   
Golden Panther

SouthPaw wrote:
You have to give the guys credit for pulling things together and restoring hope for salvaging this season. As I said a few weeks ago, as long as we have James Morgan at QB, we're going to have a chance. And if the OL can start to gel, we'd be in most if not all games. Thankfully, the OL seems to be gelling. That's been the difference. If they can give Captain Morgan just a little bit of time, we'll be fine.

Finally moving Shane McGough to center and Dallas Connell to guard (as I said we needed to to after game 2) has paid big dividends. So has getting Lyndell Hudson into the mix. He is playing well. Devontay Taylor also. We needed to find the right combination.

On defense, I think it's pretty clear that the two new guys--Whitaker and Jean-Baptiste--are a big part of the reason why we are playing better on that side of the ball. I was wondering where they were at the start of the season. It is an absolute travesty that the NCAA didn't clear those two guys before the season started. They literally robbed these kids of three games of their NCAA careers. If the coaches would now come to their senses and start playing Donovan Georges and Ni'Kendrick Carter at LB, we might actually have something to get excited about. Jamal Gates makes a play here and there, but he's too slow. So is Daniel Jackson and Josh Powell.

And at this point in the season, I hope we redshirt Bryce Singleton, our best WR. He's lost half the season. No point wasting a year on him at this point.

And speaking of WR, I don't know if you guys noticed, but Malik Tyson is getting playing time at WR now. He's a former walk-on QB who converted to WR. So now we have another walk-on--who played a different position in high school--getting minutes ahead of heralded freshmen and sophomore WRs. Where is Cadarius Gaskin? Nate Jefferson? Maurquel Dillard? Kris Mitchell? DeAndre Williams? Ivan Thomas? It's looking like WR is another position group (like the LBs) that has been a recruiting failure for this coaching staff. Now it's not just at LB where we have walk-ons getting playing time ahead of highly recruited kids.

And the coaches need to get serious about figuring out who our QB is going to be next year when Captain Morgan (gulp) is no longer with us. The answer is NOT Kaylan Wiggins. He's a nice runner, but he can't throw it. So move him to WR or RB and maximize his talent like you did with Hardtime (and are doing now Malik Tyson). The coaches--if they were smart--would start giving regular season reps to either Lynum or Norton. They better start thinking about next year soon or we're going to lose half the season next year figuring out who should be under center.

I don't get your dislike for walk-on players. Hunter Renfrow walked on to Clemson and was a key piece of their national championship team. He is now in the NFL. Walk-ons can be talented players who bloomed late. It's fine to have a couple of walk-on players in the two-deep.

By the way, Dillard now plays DB. I'm pretty sure the staff is redshirting Mitchell and Jefferson. No clue about Ivan Thomas (he's not a WR), but we are pretty stacked at TE and Kam Williams has done a good job at the H-back spot.

I think most believe Stone Norton has a very real chance at being the starting QB next year, but he needs time to learn the offense, especially since he wasn't here for spring ball. I wouldn't mind seeing him for a couple of drives in the last few games though, while maintaining redshirt status. Wiggins has done a nice job providing a change of pace at the QB spot for a few plays, as demonstrated by his TD run against Charlotte.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:55 am   
Golden Panther

Diagodog wrote:
Barring another JC (or otherwise) transfer, Stone Norton will win the QB job in spring, and start as a redshirt freshman. Wiggins, unless he decides the grass is greener at Valdosta State, will remain as the change of pace sub. We can beat UTEP and Old Dogpile, but it is going to be close as to whether there is a 6th win in our future. Our coaches need to improve as recruiters, that is what I think. I think it stinks that our home season is over with at the end of October.

I find it hard to believe the FIU team I saw on Saturday couldn't win at least one game against MT, FAU, and Marshall. C-USA is bad this year. You go 0-fer there, you deserve to stay home.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:28 am   
Juvenile Panther

I agree we have potential do alot. Wiggins was a change of pace. Would like to see Lynum take the field it’s said that he has a nice arm and is fast. Being able to do both is vital for the rest of the season and next year. I like McGough at Center. 3-3 in field goals was a nice feeling. Petersen is a big back if he keeps his eyes up I think he will be lethal for our team. It has been refreshing to see some other players in the line up. Coaches just need to keep shaking things up at these positions until the chemistry is fluid. This last game should have been a confidence booster for the team. We just need the wins at this point.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:36 am   
Golden Panther

I'd move Peterson to LB. We need help there and he also played that position in high school (and was recruited by schools to play LB). Price, Flex, and Townsend are all better backs IMO. So is transfer Maleek Williams and recruit Kejon Owens who will both be around next year. We're stacked at RB. I haven't seen Peterson flash at RB in the carries he's gotten. He looks a tad slow. Put the guys where they can help you.

Whomever is the clear #2 QB (it should be fairly obvious at this point), that guy needs to get some reps this year. Of course, without giving up his redshirt. That's my point. I hope the coaches have a plan on doing that as the second half of the season unfolds.

Official Name:
State University of Florida at Miami, or
Miami State University of Florida, or
Miami Florida State University

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:50 pm   
Juvenile Panther

TBH I wouldn't be surprised if Coach Davis brought in another transfer at QB next year. Give some competition to Wiggins for the starting job, just like Morgan did with Alexander and ended up winning the job. I doubt Norton will be able to jump 3 spots in the depth chart to take over the reins next year.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:57 am   
Golden Panther

Here's a great write-up of what has started to turn around for the success of FIU the last couple of weeks:

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2019/10/14/20913266/fiu-game-notebook-excellent-play-up-front-spearheads-the-win-alexy-jean-baptiste-butch-davis