GAMEWEEK 8: F I U @ MTSU

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:57 pm   
Golden Panther

JulesFIU07 wrote:
FIU Beisbol wrote:
RoaryIsMyHomeboy wrote:
You aint wrong Diago. It feels like when we jumped to C-USA, C-USA jumped to the AAC. lol

Even the Sun Belt has a ranked member now.

Well, App state lost last night, so they won't be ranked anymore, but still, I get your statement and agree.Today's conference usa is no better than the current sunbelt, maybe worse.

Definitely worse.

Schools make the conference, not the other way around. That's how it's always been and how it'll always be. But I still think C-USA was the right move, especially for soccer and baseball. In those sports, C-USA still matters much more than the Belt ever did.

Diagodog wrote:
Regarding attendance, I note that even the UM has returned a sizable portion of its allotment for the Marlins Park game. Now what on God's green earth is THAT about? Is it because their students can't get in free and the fair-weather, insufferable front-running fan base lost interest once their highly overrated team lost four games?

I don't know what they will have MP jiggered up to hold at capacity for football, but it doesn't sound like even that game is going to approach capacity. Our students have to have attended X number of games to qualify for tix to that game but there has not been 1,000 at any of the home games to date. So with the dozen or so of this on this board, the 2,000 FIU fans likely to be willing to shell out any extra money for tix, what are we looking at? 10,000? 15? 5?

Also along these lines, a quick glance at the MTSU stands even before the downpour started suggested to me that they MAYBE had 3,000 in attendance. We play in a conference that NO ONE gives a rats ass about, that is what I think.

Maybe the UM game won't draw that well, but it'll still be way better attendance than anything FIU has had at home this season.

As much as I like C-USA, especially in the other sports, it's clear that FIU fans as a whole don't give a $$$$ about anyone in the conference. In Miami, P5 teams are who matter. The city is simply too fickle for anything less to work.

I don't see any way FIU gets the needle moving in the stands while being in C-USA, short of winning out every year for the next 5 years. Even then, I doubt it. What will get the pulse moving is P5 wins and FIU isn't going to have many chances to do that every season, especially being in a G5 conference.

I don't know if independence really is the best alternative, but I do hope someone high up at FIU is really looking into the idea, especially if it's likely the program can draw more P5 opponents this way at home.

Quijote wrote:
RoaryIsMyHomeboy wrote:
Diago and Quijote,

Our stadium also needs major attention. The empty bar seating looks horrible, and we have more games televised than ever.

THIS!!!

I have become so apathetic to the program that I have stopped attending home games. Its not good for my mental health. I'm in too deep. However, I have watched every game from home, and boy are you right. HEY PETE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, REVERSE THE CAMERA'S LINE OF SITE OR FLIP THE SEATING CHART!!! It drives me INSANE that most of the game's coverage only exposes the west, north, and east sides of the stadium - which are 90% empty. The south side is probably 50% full. THIS DAMAGES BRANDING AND RECRUITING! NO EXCUSE FOR THIS PETE!!! Whatever the cost is, make it happen. AND DON'T TELL US THERE IS NO MONEY BECAUSE YOU ARE THE RICHEST AD IN THE CONFERENCE AND EARN MORE THAN MANY IN THE SEC. If there is a will, there is a way. But there is no will at FIU Athletics.

Oh boy I'm already losing it... Have to distance myself completely from the program, but again I AM IN TOO DEEP. LORD HELP ME!

A seating chart flip would be a good idea. Changing the camera angles is a lot easier, though. Why showing more of the crowd doesn't seem to be a priority is beyond me. As someone who usually watches games on TV, it is depressing to see all those empty stands.

I also think they really need to add a canopy like Hard Rock Stadium has. I went to a Dolphins game for the first time in ages a few weeks ago and it's simply amazing to me what a difference that thing made in terms of comfort. Just having some shade might lure those who always tailgate but don't come into the stadium. Especially on hot days.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:38 pm   
Puma

Glad we beat ODU, and hate to keep talking about this game. BUT. Charlotte is currently beating MTSU 21 to 7. I know transitive property isnt a thing in football, but $$$$

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:16 pm   
Golden Panther

The fact that the camera faces the away stands and hasn't been fixed after all these years is just one more example of how the leadership of this university is hopelessly inept and incompetent. I'm talking about Rosenberg and Garcia, but my guess is that incompetence is pervasive throughout all of FIU's leadership. We can't seem to do anything right. If you were a conspiracy theorist it would be obvious that UM is controlling our leadership and purposely steering the ship into the iceberg. Seriously.

As for the game, we went from preseason favorites in the conference to barely squeaking out a win at home on senior day over the worst team in the conference with a freshman quarterback at the helm. What a year!

Official Name:
State University of Florida at Miami, or
Miami State University of Florida, or
Miami Florida State University

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:14 am   
Golden Panther

And for gods sake... Can somebody in the media relations department iron out the background step-and-repeat banner before post game press conferences?

I'm so F'in tired of seeing a light out, or an uneven wrinkle. This is such a low hanging fruit. It's as if everybody assumes nobody is watching.

Show some pride! Tuck your $$$$ shirt in.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:58 am   
Cougar

Diagodog wrote:
Sure, I see a theme here. It is called "incompetence." Butch has had three years here and he is not getting any better because he is apparently incapable of seeing outside whatever box he has locked himself into. He is intelligent, and organized, but he is nearing 70 and seems to be no longer looking outside the box. I think it has become clear that he is unlikely to lead this program into the promised land. It is not going to happen. Not next year, not the year after next. To think that maybe six or seven years in he will finally turn things around on a dime is simply insane. If he was going to turn things around, we would be seeing signs of it right now. What we are seeing signs of is the kind of ghastly mediocrity that FAU endured while Schnellenbarger sidled into senility. i think Butch, if he does not announce his retirement following this year, will be four and out at FIU.

Maybe there will be some remarkable shift over the final third of this season that proves me wrong, but I am thinking 5-7 this year, followed by god only knows what next year and that would indeed be the end of it. I do hope I am wrong, by the way, but I knew from the moment that Butch made Maurice Alexander his backup QB that something was wrong with his thinking.

Schnellenberger sliding into senility? Really?

The reality of Schnellenbergers decline was not so much age related as it was lack of $$$. He needed a successor and thanks to the inept AD we had at the time we had neither a stadium nor the money for schnelly to hire decent people. If you look at the people he had the last few years they were high school people. Craig Angelos was so inept that he passed over Joe Moglia to hire Carl Pelini. Darryl Jackson was hired in 2009 as OC had a mediocre 2009 and a wretched 2010 and I think schnelly didnt have the heart to fire someone if he was retiring anyway. Jeff Brohm was our QB coach in 2009 and a logical potential successor but we didnt have the money to keep him.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:56 pm   
Golden Panther

SouthPaw wrote:
The fact that the camera faces the away stands and hasn't been fixed after all these years is just one more example of how the leadership of this university is hopelessly inept and incompetent. I'm talking about Rosenberg and Garcia, but my guess is that incompetence is pervasive throughout all of FIU's leadership. We can't seem to do anything right. If you were a conspiracy theorist it would be obvious that UM is controlling our leadership and purposely steering the ship into the iceberg. Seriously.

As for the game, we went from preseason favorites in the conference to barely squeaking out a win at home on senior day over the worst team in the conference with a freshman quarterback at the helm. What a year!

You aren't the only one thinking that this is a massive, systemic, sabotage job. Just look at all the UCG alum and previous UCG talent running the show at Athletics. There aren't even that many UCG alums to begin with, its a small private school.

I have given up until there is a leadership change across the board. Until then, #GOGATORS and #GODUCKS.

Speaking of Ducks, HEY PETE.... Everyone is laughing at us, but Mario is laughing hardest. AT YOU!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:30 am   
Golden Panther

OK, Voss, senility uncalled for. Substitute irrelevance. That's where it looks like Butch is headed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:50 am   
Cougar

Fair enough you can argue , I still believe our AD at the time was the problem. Im going to create a new thread.