It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:44 pm

Game Week 10: SHULA BOWL - FIU @ FAU

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:28 pm   
Golden Panther

Well, might as well get this started. Shula Bowl at FAU this Saturday at 6pm. Let's go Panthers!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:12 pm   
Golden Panther

As far as im concerned, this is the biggest game of our season. We have bowl eligibility on the line + a rivalry game against a team who has dominated us the last two years.

From what i can see, the owls are still in contention for the cusa east and it would be lovely to play spoiler.

Who from the board will be going?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:52 pm   
Golden Panther

I would love to beat FAU, because no matter how our season is going it's always a plus to beat the owls. My money is on FAU winning though. FIU has had a weak defense all season and with the loss of M. Alexander, we are weaker now on offense. Hope I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:32 pm   
Golden Panther

At this level of college football, "upsets" are relatively common, and if this were last year, or the year before, I would have entertained the possibility of FIU knocking off FAU. But this team seems so profoundly flawed and without a true potential difference maker on either defense or offense, I honestly just don't see it happening. I certainly would not bet money on that possibility. It seems to me that FAU has been steadily improving and that we have been pretty much static--so blah, in fact that I think I have to go puke now, just thinking about it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:41 pm   
Golden Panther

The loss of Maurice A. will hurt us in special teams more than anything. Tough to see his career end that way. The character he showed transitioning positions was impressive.

I wonder how healthy James Morgan is as well. He made some questionable throws against ODU. Really uncharacteristic. But luckily he didnt have to pay for too many of them.

Our defense got plastered last year with Devin Singletary running at will. Owls had a whopping 439 yards on the ground.

Hopefully we have a game plan. I'd like to enjoy a balanced game Saturday evening but I'm holding the tiniest glimmer that we might show up.

Last edited by RoaryIsMyHomeboy on Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:50 am   
Golden Panther

This game has all the makings to be a blowout for FAU. Where to begin...

Offense: Losing three big contributors to the O-line is scary. Not sure if Taylor/Hudson will be back for the FAU game. That will make running the football all the harder. FAU is 2nd in C-USA play in sacks. I doubt Morgan will have much time to throw, let alone anyone open (besides Maloney) to throw the football to. The run game has been putrid. FIU averaged a pathetic 3.2 yards per carry against ODU last week.... I don't think the team will score many points.

Defense: FIU is dead last in rush defense in C-USA. I can't see how this will not be a repeat of last year's game. I don't care who FAU has at RB this year. Kiffin finds creative ways to get his guys in space. The only way I see FIU stopping FAU is by forcing turnovers... Good luck.

Special teams: Well let's see.... the strength of this team is probably the punter now. Sad. Jose is dead last in C-USA play in FG %. Not sure what the heck happened to him. He's connected on only 61% of his kicks in conference games. FGs won't win this game anyway...

So to sum up: This team ain't good right now. At all. But I'll still be hoping for some reason they can pull out a W. This is a huge game. Not only does a win make the team bowl eligible, but it would also be huge for recruiting. Having Lane go 3-0 against Butch, while this team seems to be in a tailspin would be devastating. All the logic points to FAU, but my heart still has hope.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:37 am   
Golden Panther

Building A Dynasty wrote:
This game has all the makings to be a blowout for FAU. Where to begin...

Offense: Losing three big contributors to the O-line is scary. Not sure if Taylor/Hudson will be back for the FAU game. That will make running the football all the harder. FAU is 2nd in C-USA play in sacks. I doubt Morgan will have much time to throw, let alone anyone open (besides Maloney) to throw the football to. The run game has been putrid. FIU averaged a pathetic 3.2 yards per carry against ODU last week.... I don't think the team will score many points.

Defense: FIU is dead last in rush defense in C-USA. I can't see how this will not be a repeat of last year's game. I don't care who FAU has at RB this year. Kiffin finds creative ways to get his guys in space. The only way I see FIU stopping FAU is by forcing turnovers... Good luck.

Special teams: Well let's see.... the strength of this team is probably the punter now. Sad. Jose is dead last in C-USA play in FG %. Not sure what the heck happened to him. He's connected on only 61% of his kicks in conference games. FGs won't win this game anyway...

So to sum up: This team ain't good right now. At all. But I'll still be hoping for some reason they can pull out a W. This is a huge game. Not only does a win make the team bowl eligible, but it would also be huge for recruiting. Having Lane go 3-0 against Butch, while this team seems to be in a tailspin would be devastating. All the logic points to FAU, but my heart still has hope.

We will have to get lucky and win the turnover battle by +2 at least to have a chance.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:22 pm   
Golden Panther

Our defense has been terrible, we lost Alexander for the season, and we have been bad with turnovers the last few games. We will need a miracle to win.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:23 am   
Juvenile Panther

Even though is makes no sense at all, I am really hoping for the upset today. I hope FIU puts it together and makes it happen. We really have not had a game all year where we got all the breaks, hopefully that will be today.

I hate to say it but James Morgan is going to have to keep the ball on some of those read options. I wish they did not run it at all, but they do. Morgan cannot always give, the backside DE never respects him and sometimes makes the play on the rb. That in itself kills the play so often.

Hopefully the Oline does a better job in pass blocking this week...I have never seen a team rotate so many different offensive lineman during the course of the game.

Hopefully the Defense steps up today for once this year vs. a real team.

Hoping for the Best!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:23 pm   
Golden Panther

Let’s Go Panthers!!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:57 pm   
Golden Panther

fiufootballfan1 wrote:
Even though is makes no sense at all, I am really hoping for the upset today. I hope FIU puts it together and makes it happen. We really have not had a game all year where we got all the breaks, hopefully that will be today.

I hate to say it but James Morgan is going to have to keep the ball on some of those read options. I wish they did not run it at all, but they do. Morgan cannot always give, the backside DE never respects him and sometimes makes the play on the rb. That in itself kills the play so often.

Hopefully the Oline does a better job in pass blocking this week...I have never seen a team rotate so many different offensive lineman during the course of the game.

Hopefully the Defense steps up today for once this year vs. a real team.

Hoping for the Best!

All great points. It looks like it's going to a wet one... so let's see what happens.

I fear another blowout, but I'll be there loud and proud just in case.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:16 pm   
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:44 pm   
Golden Panther

The offense looks like straight up trash. Ugh. Should have went for it on fourth and two...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:28 pm   
Golden Panther

Special teams has been... special. Finally a nice drive and come away with nothing.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:07 pm   
Golden Panther

SO MANY MISTAKES