It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:05 pm

Game Week 10: SHULA BOWL - FIU @ FAU

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:07 pm   
Golden Panther

And how many times in a row are they trying to run for 1-2 yards on first down. So predictable.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:09 pm   
Golden Panther

This is pretty embarrassing but I’m not surprised.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:41 pm   
Golden Panther

Just embarrassing. The team has quit. Butch has lost them.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:54 pm   
Golden Panther

This season has been a complete step backwards. We're losing badly to bad teams.

The only thing that can salvage this miserable season is by beating the University of Coral Gables. It's far and away the one game I wanted to win most this season.

Official Name:
State University of Florida at Miami, or
Miami State University of Florida, or
Miami Florida State University

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:12 pm   
Cougar

SouthPaw wrote:
This season has been a complete step backwards. We're losing badly to bad teams.

The only thing that can salvage this miserable season is by beating the University of Coral Gables. It's far and away the one game I wanted to win most this season.

I cant believe im consoling FIU fans but here it goes. You had two bowl runs in 2 years and now you have a bad season it happens. We had a let down season last year.

I would love to see you guys upset Miami.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:11 am   
Juvenile Panther

This season has been a total disappointment. The same issues week after week.

The real question is this, is coaching the issue????

We had so much talent at the beginning of the year, and we have only beat horrible C-USA teams or FCS schools.

I hope we can the offensive and the Co-Defensive Coordinators. They have been consistently horrible this year.

Offensively, why do we have to be in spread all the time? Just because every other team runs spread does not mean we have to. Our personnel does not really dictate that. James Morgan is not a threat on the read option. Why do we run it? He has kept the ball one time this year. We have a ton of good running backs, however presently we can only have one in at a time.

Defensively, they remind me of the late 80's Miami Dolphins defense. They can't stop and can't stop the pass. Obviously, we were super out coached on defense last night. We knew they were going to be running a Hurry up offense, yet we could not get our groupings in and out. Too many time did we see D tackles and D Ends running in late. D Tackles Standing up at the line because they could not get down.

Horrible

Is Butch to blame?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:30 am   
Puma

Mostly on the coaches, as it's the same problems over and over. Also the team has a culture of quitting when getting punched in the mouth, which is on coaches and players

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:52 am   
Golden Panther

If anyone on this board really thinks that Butch is going to change his approach or "clean house" , I think you are sadly mistaken. Two and two-thirds years of doing EXACTLY THE SAME UNPRODUCTIVE THINGS is a fair harbinger of what is to come. And please spare me any responses about how Butch has won more games than xyz. If you are happy with beating the U Mass and Old Dogpiles of the world, then more power to you. From the day that Don Strock, pitching wedge in hand, led our initial team onto the field, I dreamed of the day we would be hosting and beating--from time to time--actual football teams that some of the world had heard of, even if it were the likes of Wake Forest, Missouri, or Vanderbilt. Instead, we struggle to compete with sub mid-major teams that themselves draw crowds in the four figures and we put up with coaches who cannot motivate their players to give max effort because they are so divorced from what turns kids on.

Then you add in an AD and a President who have not exhibited the least interest in upgrading football over this same period, and then you add in the complete and utter disinterest of a community and a student BODY in football, and you have this utterly disgusting mess. Really, what do you all think is going to happen at Marlins Park in two weeks? What SHOULD have been a momentous meeting is going to be an exercise in piling up the body bags. I just hope to god that the regular Marlins Park concessionaires are in operation on that evening, because then MAYBE I will get a frigging edible hot dog that won't come with a $1 charge for the frigging onions. I would tell you where I would like to jam the hot dogs that they serve at La Cage au Folle, but then this post wouldn't be up very long.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:08 am   
Golden Panther

I don't think the team has quit. A team that has quit wouldn't have made the fourth down stand late in the second half with their backs to the goal-line.

I think this team was simply dominated, which in some ways, is worse. Butch has pointed to the self-inflicted errors, but the fact of the matter is, even without the errors, this team would have lost by multiple TDs. It boils down to two main things:

1) FIU cannot stop the run. It is bad. Very bad. The team doesn't even come close to stopping the run. There is way too much talent to be dead last in C-USA in rushing defense.

2) FIU cannot run the football. I think part of it is due to scheme. Very predictable play calling. But teams are making FIU one-dimensional. Even Lane said it in his presser. Even with Maxwell's huge run, the team only averaged 3.1 yards per carry on 29 carries. You take away his 75-yards run, and the average is 1.3 yards per carry!!! How pathetic is that!? But yet we continued to run on 90% of the opening plays of a drive. Essentially torpedoing the drive off the first play. I don't care what Butch says about self-inflicted wounds.... You aren't going to win football games, especially with a defense like they have, running the football that poorly. We have the same RBs as last year... Clearly the poor O-line play and the lack of creativity is to blame here. Look at how many different formations FAU threw at FIU.... Meanwhile.... Ugh.

The sad part is I'm not convinced FAU is more talented that FIU... But yet, FIU lost by over 4 TDs.... Hmmm....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:09 am   
Golden Panther

Diagodog wrote:
If anyone on this board really thinks that Butch is going to change his approach or "clean house" , I think you are sadly mistaken. Two and two-thirds years of doing EXACTLY THE SAME UNPRODUCTIVE THINGS is a fair harbinger of what is to come. And please spare me any responses about how Butch has won more games than xyz. If you are happy with beating the U Mass and Old Dogpiles of the world, then more power to you. From the day that Don Strock, pitching wedge in hand, led our initial team onto the field, I dreamed of the day we would be hosting and beating--from time to time--actual football teams that some of the world had heard of, even if it were the likes of Wake Forest, Missouri, or Vanderbilt. Instead, we struggle to compete with sub mid-major teams that themselves draw crowds in the four figures and we put up with coaches who cannot motivate their players to give max effort because they are so divorced from what turns kids on.

Then you add in an AD and a President who have not exhibited the least interest in upgrading football over this same period, and then you add in the complete and utter disinterest of a community and a student BODY in football, and you have this utterly disgusting mess. Really, what do you all think is going to happen at Marlins Park in two weeks? What SHOULD have been a momentous meeting is going to be an exercise in piling up the body bags. I just hope to god that the regular Marlins Park concessionaires are in operation on that evening, because then MAYBE I will get a frigging edible hot dog that won't come with a $1 charge for the frigging onions. I would tell you where I would like to jam the hot dogs that they serve at La Cage au Folle, but then this post wouldn't be up very long.

I totally agree with this. Butch has yet to prove he can beat good football teams while at FIU. I think the Marshall game last year was the smoking gun...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:29 am   
Golden Panther

I will grant you they made that goal line stand, but it was because they didn't have to run to do it. The open field arm swipe tackling and lack of pursuit after it got to be 28-7 looked to me like, "I don't give a crap anymore."

I did notice one all out blitz once the subs started to come in: three guys making a beeline toward the pocket, while the QB was running a sweep to the right. None of the three even looked in that direction. They were rushing hard as they could go toward a spot that had already been vacated. It would have been comical if it were not so sad. What on earth do they practice during defensive drills?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:41 am   
Golden Panther

For whatever reason, the coaches keep insisting on making a QB who cannot run the read-option properly run the read-option all the $$$$ time.

It's a freaking miracle we've even won this many games with this kind of thinking.

Don't get me wrong. I think Morgan's a potentially great QB at the pro level. Probably the most talented signal-caller we've had at FIU. But the coaches keep playing to a really big weakness of his and I just don't get what the hell they're doing here.

This kid's a gun-slinger. Put him in the pocket and let him spread it all over the yard. This isn't someone who wants to (or can) run the ball effectively. We have nearly two years' worth of tape proving that.

RPO's don't work if your QB isn't capable of busting out big gains on the ground. We had a 12 two years ago who could do that. This 12 cannot and it's about time they stop pretending this can actually work. The opponents have figured it out and FIU simply doesn't have the talent on the O-Line to just do whatever they want even if the opponent knows it's coming.

If the coaches keep insisting on the RPO, then bench Morgan. Bring in someone else who can. Or, preferably, get the hell away from RPO and put the kid in a position where he can actually succeed. Do something different, for God's sake.

This is why I wish we ran more of a pro offense. There's more flexibility to make changes. When you're a spread team and it's not working, it's harder to fix things.

Building A Dynasty wrote:
I don't think the team has quit. A team that has quit wouldn't have made the fourth down stand late in the second half with their backs to the goal-line.

I think this team was simply dominated, which in some ways, is worse. Butch has pointed to the self-inflicted errors, but the fact of the matter is, even without the errors, this team would have lost by multiple TDs. It boils down to two main things:

1) FIU cannot stop the run. It is bad. Very bad. The team doesn't even come close to stopping the run. There is way too much talent to be dead last in C-USA in rushing defense.

2) FIU cannot run the football. I think part of it is due to scheme. Very predictable play calling. But teams are making FIU one-dimensional. Even Lane said it in his presser. Even with Maxwell's huge run, the team only averaged 3.1 yards per carry on 29 carries. You take away his 75-yards run, and the average is 1.3 yards per carry!!! How pathetic is that!? But yet we continued to run on 90% of the opening plays of a drive. Essentially torpedoing the drive off the first play. I don't care what Butch says about self-inflicted wounds.... You aren't going to win football games, especially with a defense like they have, running the football that poorly. We have the same RBs as last year... Clearly the poor O-line play and the lack of creativity is to blame here. Look at how many different formations FAU threw at FIU.... Meanwhile.... Ugh.

The sad part is I'm not convinced FAU is more talented that FIU... But yet, FIU lost by over 4 TDs.... Hmmm....

Hell no FAU isn't more talented. Definitely not by 4 TD's. Lane just out-schemed Butch.

I'm not entirely surprised by that. Whatever else you want to say about Kiffin, there's no doubt the man can X and O anyone to death. Even great coaches.

Butch has to face facts here. He's getting killed. He has to do something to right this ship. And I don't think it's really a talent issue because I simply cannot believe that the man who recruited possibly the most talented college football team ever at Miami all of a sudden forgot how to evaluate talent. That just doesn't compute. You don't lose that kind of ability once you have it.

I'm not convinced canning Skrotsky's the way to go. FIU just needs a QB who can run his offense and I suspect that guy's already on the roster somewhere. The D, on the other hand... I won't hang last night on them because the O didn't help at all, but there is no reason FIU should ever be this bad on D. It's time for a new coordinator there, at the very least.

voss749 wrote:
SouthPaw wrote:

I cant believe im consoling FIU fans but here it goes. You had two bowl runs in 2 years and now you have a bad season it happens. We had a let down season last year.

I would love to see you guys upset Miami.

That's about the only thing that can save the season at this point. And even if FIU did... it's not like that's a great Canes team. But it would at least be some sign that things can improve. Maybe it can happen. If there's one thing I know, it's that FIU players get geeked when the Canes are on the other side. The motivation will be there.

Nothing against FAU, but most FIUers really consider Miami the rival, not you guys. There's a reason y'all have won so many of the Shula Bowls. FIU just doesn't care about that game as much as you do. (I know the players and coaches do, but the fans mostly don't.) I wish they did because I definitely consider FAU a rival, but them's the facts, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:46 am   
Golden Panther

Building A Dynasty wrote:

This is a good post. It explains exactly why we lost by four TDs. And why we lost all of our games this year. It's the same story every week. Teams run all over us. And we can't run the ball because of an OL that can't dominate anyone and a ridiculously poor, head-scratching RPO scheme that just about anyone with a brain can see doesn't work with a QB like Morgan.

Except for Sage, we can't tackle. Nothing but arm tackling. And except for Sage, our LB's are slow and out of position. Gates isn't the answer. Neither are walk-ons Jackson or Powell. Our safeties are good coverage guys, but are undersized, poor tacklers. So they give little run support. The dropped interception by Hall is a microcosm of this season. Guys just aren't making plays that are right in front of them.

The only guys on the DL that look like they have any life are Tart, Whitaker and Jean-Baptiste. Why they don't play every down is a mystery. Way too much subbing in and out on the DL.

I'm especially disappointed with Maloney. He has had a horrible year. With Singleton out all year, we needed him to step up. Instead, he regressed. He should have caught that TD ball last night, but he turned the wrong way first. Except for Thornton (who was one of the few guys that played well last night), we have no deep threats.

It blows my mind that the coaches aren't doing anything different. They keep running the same plays and playing the same players, game after game.

It's clear we need to clean house on the coaching staff. The offensive and defensive coordinators need to go first. If that doesn't happen before next season, buckle up for an even worse 2020.

It's great being an FIU football fan.

Take a big whiff. Smells like disappointment.

Official Name:
State University of Florida at Miami, or
Miami State University of Florida, or
Miami Florida State University

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:54 am   
Juvenile Panther

Well put, it will be interesting to see if the coordinators go. That would be a step in the right direction.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:04 pm   
Golden Panther

Well... I expected to be blown out, and blown out we were.

Some of my guests had never been to an American football game and still came away having a good time. Why is that? Game-day experience was fun.

FAU has a really nice stadium. For many years I would hear FIU alumn lament how ours is a dump, but last night I couldn't deny the contrast.

If we played in FAU's stadium, I could get people to go with me. At home games I can't. And when I do, I'm usually basically calling in favors. lol

Our challenge is we have a base that is primarily non traditional college football fans. This makes having a great stadium experience all the more necessary to get people excited to come out.

We traveled poorly. Not sure I was surprised by that either. I still think program excitement is at an all time low. The shortcomings can no longer be masked by promises of awakening a "sleeping giant."

This university needs to make some sort of re-commitment to football if we are going to do this. The fact that our alumni association had to cancel a tailgate at our rival just up the highway should be frightening. What are we doing? Just going through the motions so Pete Garcia can be a millionaire?

Diago is touching in the vein of something there with his comment. I've been loyal to this team for a long time... but feelings are just drifting towards "meh." It gets tiring. (That's why I come on this board to banter)

Diagodog wrote:

That being said, BRAVO to our band and color guard. EXCELLENT half time performance. EXCELLENT energy during the game. They sounded crisp and creative. My guests commented a few times how great they looked and sounded. Those kids have some heart.

That is a product we should be proud to slap the FIU label on.

Anyway, next game will likely be ugly and under-attended by FIU fans. At least I'm hoping so.

The casual alumn who goes to one game every 2-3 years, will go to Marlins park and see something that will leave an unpleasant taste in their mouth.

One should always have hope, but personally I dont think my hopes will regenerate until the offseason.