It is currently Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:11 am

Game Week 10: SHULA BOWL - FIU @ FAU

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:18 pm   
Golden Panther

RoaryIsMyHomeboy wrote:
Well... I expected to be blown out, and blown out we were.

Some of my guests had never been to an American football game and still came away having a good time. Why is that? Game-day experience was fun.

FAU has a really nice stadium. For many years I would hear FIU alumn lament how ours is a dump, but last night I couldn't deny the contrast.

If we played in FAU's stadium, I could get people to go with me. At home games I can't. And when I do, I'm usually basically calling in favors. lol

Our challenge is we have a base that is primarily non traditional college football fans. This makes having a great stadium experience all the more necessary to get people excited to come out.

We traveled poorly. Not sure I was surprised by that either. I still think program excitement is at an all time low. The shortcomings can no longer be masked by promises of awakening a "sleeping giant."

This university needs to make some sort of re-commitment to football if we are going to do this. The fact that our alumni association had to cancel a tailgate at our rival just up the highway should be frightening. What are we doing? Just going through the motions so Pete Garcia can be a millionaire?

Diago is touching in the vein of something there with his comment. I've been loyal to this team for a long time... but feelings are just drifting towards "meh." It gets tiring. (That's why I come on this board to banter)

Diagodog wrote:
Then you add in an AD and a President who have not exhibited the least interest in upgrading football over this same period, and then you add in the complete and utter disinterest of a community and a student BODY in football, and you have this utterly disgusting mess. Really, what do you all think is going to happen at Marlins Park in two weeks? What SHOULD have been a momentous meeting is going to be an exercise in piling up the body bags. I just hope to god that the regular Marlins Park concessionaires are in operation on that evening, because then MAYBE I will get a frigging edible hot dog that won't come with a $1 charge for the frigging onions. I would tell you where I would like to jam the hot dogs that they serve at La Cage au Folle, but then this post wouldn't be up very long.

That being said, BRAVO to our band and color guard. EXCELLENT half time performance. EXCELLENT energy during the game. They sounded crisp and creative. My guests commented a few times how great they looked and sounded. Those kids have some heart.

That is a product we should be proud to slap the FIU label on.

Anyway, next game will likely be ugly and under-attended by FIU fans. At least I'm hoping so.

The casual alumn who goes to one game every 2-3 years, will go to Marlins park and see something that will leave an unpleasant taste in their mouth.

One should always have hope, but personally I dont think my hopes will regenerate until the offseason.

It is stupid for any mid-major to make a major commitment to football. The system is rigged, the available talent pool is in decline, and overall attendance is down across the board. Focus on basketball, a sport where you can have real success.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:25 pm   
Juvenile Panther

C’mon guys, if you didn’t see the difference in talent level in that game you are delusional. That was an old fashion beat down. If it wasn’t for a missed assignment you would have been skunked. Stop thinking the Canes are your rival...THEY ARE NOT, They don’t even know you exist.

I’m not trying to be a d$&*, you need to get your program in order so when the move might come in a few years we need to go together. Not sure what your options are but with Morgan leaving some changes have to be made.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:50 am   
Golden Panther

JulesFIU07 wrote:
It is stupid for any mid-major to make a major commitment to football. The system is rigged, the available talent pool is in decline, and overall attendance is down across the board. Focus on basketball, a sport where you can have real success.

There may be some merits to this argument. But my gripe is not that we can't compete against Bama and the Gators (or even the Canes). It's that we are falling woefully behind the FAU's of the world.

FBS college football gives schools exposure like no other sport. So if we're going to do it, let's not just dial it in.

Also, I'm not sure what makes you think "real success" with basketball would be so easy. The landscape is equally as top heavy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:52 pm   
Golden Panther

RoaryIsMyHomeboy wrote:
JulesFIU07 wrote:

There may be some merits to this argument. But my gripe is not that we can't compete against Bama and the Gators (or even the Canes). It's that we are falling woefully behind the FAU's of the world.

FBS college football gives schools exposure like no other sport. So if we're going to do it, let's not just dial it in.

Also, I'm not sure what makes you think "real success" with basketball would be so easy. The landscape is equally as top heavy.

There are multiple mid-majors, like the Western, A-10, and SoCon who regularly produce top 25 teams.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:34 pm   
Cougar

Like FGCU a school that less than 20 years old showing up in sweet 16.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:39 pm   
Golden Panther

dusky wrote:
C’mon guys, if you didn’t see the difference in talent level in that game you are delusional. That was an old fashion beat down. If it wasn’t for a missed assignment you would have been skunked. Stop thinking the Canes are your rival...THEY ARE NOT, They don’t even know you exist.

I’m not trying to be a d$&*, you need to get your program in order so when the move might come in a few years we need to go together. Not sure what your options are but with Morgan leaving some changes have to be made.

I'll concede that FAU is more talented at the moment. But not by 4 TD's. That's also scheme. Kiffin's a great X's and O's coach. Butch isn't bad at that, but I think Kiffin is better. No shame in that. Kiffin is definitely one of the best X's and O's coach at the college level.

Miami definitely knows FIU exists. They don't consider us a rival (and shouldn't at the moment) but don't think that they don't know FIU exists. There's quite a bit of petty history there to prove it.

Beyond that... keep in mind that FIU doesn't get the traditional media coverage or fan love that most schools do in their area simply by existing. FAU, being in Boca, has at least some semblance of that. Most schools do... but most schools aren't less than 10 miles from a well-established P5 school with multiple national titles in football and baseball.

It's a very steep uphill climb made more so by the fact that FIU students and alums, by and large, don't have a lot of school pride. FIU has always been a second or third-choice school or a convenience pick for most Miamians. People go, get their degrees and bounce out.

If you want to give those people a reason to hang their hat on FIU, you have to win against schools that matter. Like it or not, the simple truth is most Miamians - especially those who didn't go to FIU - don't care about any school in C-USA. They barely care about the ACC opponents Miami plays on the regular. Beating up on G5 schools isn't going to motivate them to come out. The same holds true, mostly, for the alums.

I also think the fact FIU (in its name) doesn't represent Miami also hurts a ton in getting casual fans. Most of UM's fanbase never went to the school; they follow because, to them, the school = the city. It's about repping the 305. Civic/regional pride matters a lot in sports. FIU doesn't play well to that at all.

RoaryIsMyHomeboy wrote:
JulesFIU07 wrote:

FIU would get more bang for the buck, so to speak, by investing more in men's soccer and baseball, especially men's soccer. The team's already a Top 25 regular. Add some money and better facilities... watch out. It's a huge opportunity, especially with Miami not having a men's soccer program.

Basketball has always underachieved, but the local talent base for hoops isn't as strong as it is in soccer, baseball and football. A system type of coach like Ballard getting close to 20 wins a season and the occasional NCAA tourney trip could realistically be the top for FIU at this point short of a P5 invite, especially with fairly strong mid-major hoops programs already in C-USA.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:00 am   
Puma

This right here. I "get" that FAU is the rival but most people dont care about non name brand schools. Hell, in high school no one even applied to FAU because we had never heard about it. We cant expect Miami fans to show up to a game versus Middle Tennessee or UTSA.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:25 pm   
Golden Panther

Our goal isn’t Miami fans. FAU’s goal shouldn’t be fans in PBC. The goal is draw alumni.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:58 am   
Golden Panther

JulesFIU07 wrote:
Our goal isn’t Miami fans. FAU’s goal shouldn’t be fans in PBC. The goal is draw alumni.

This is right and this is wrong.

FIU alumni are Miami fans. And they will show up if the facilities are nice, the team is good, and the opponent is recognized.

I've said it many times before... many of my friends who graduated with me, don't even know the rules of college football, let alone the landscape. It has to feel like an event to mean anything to them.

(For the record, our best attended home game under Butch was likely the Shula Bowl last year)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:45 pm   
Golden Panther

RoaryIsMyHomeboy wrote:
JulesFIU07 wrote:

FIU alumni are Miami fans. And they will show up if the facilities are nice, the team is good, and the opponent is recognized.

I've said it many times before... many of my friends who graduated with me, don't even know the rules of college football, let alone the landscape. It has to feel like an event to mean anything to them.

(For the record, our best attended home game under Butch was likely the Shula Bowl last year)

We also need to stop drawing 90% of our students from Dade and Broward.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:47 pm   
Golden Panther

In my eyes, the main problem is the culture of the university. If you want alumni to come back for the games, you need to get them involved when they are students. We have enough students alone to fill that stadium up about 3x. It all starts with creating a culture where students want to be at the games. It seems kind of crazy to expect the greater S FL community to attend the games when we can't even get current Panthers there! The administration must fix this!

UCF laid the blueprint of how to go about this. They've rapidly grown a fantastic fan culture up there in Orlando. We need to invest and follow suit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:01 pm   
Golden Panther

Building A Dynasty wrote:
In my eyes, the main problem is the culture of the university. If you want alumni to come back for the games, you need to get them involved when they are students. We have enough students alone to fill that stadium up about 3x. It all starts with creating a culture where students want to be at the games. It seems kind of crazy to expect the greater S FL community to attend the games when we can't even get current Panthers there! The administration must fix this!

UCF laid the blueprint of how to go about this. They've rapidly grown a fantastic fan culture up there in Orlando. We need to invest and follow suit.

100% agreement. You don't have a good hope of getting them as alums unless they care as students. If you can't sell the opponent, then sell something else. Basically, find out what would make them come out and deliver it. Easier said than done but that's what has to happen.

Having said that, UCF's culture is also good because they win against schools that are recognized. I know the American isn't P5 but there's some name recognition there. Beating a Houston or ECU means more than beating FAU or MTSU. Not by much, but it's something.

JulesFIU07 wrote:
RoaryIsMyHomeboy wrote:
JulesFIU07 wrote:

We also need to stop drawing 90% of our students from Dade and Broward.

No, we don't. If anything, FIU needs to embrace its local roots more. That's where the name change might make a difference. You can't play the school pride card when there isn't much pride to play with.

Tap into that civic and regional pride. Stop making FIU feel like a last chance saloon to get a degree. Start making it a place where you can show off the fact you're from the 305 and proud of it. Embrace the immigrant mentality, especially when comparing to that school in the Gables.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:29 pm   
Golden Panther

We very literally cannot get more local. A big part of the culture change at UCF is drawing kids from outside of Central Florida. For every kid from South Florida that wants to go to Tampa or Orlando, there is a kid from the I-4 that wants to be in Miami, get that kid. That we are so local only reinforces the perception that we are last chance U, a continuation of high school.

And ffs, stop worrying about the school in Coral Gables.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:42 am   
Golden Panther

JulesFIU07 wrote:
We very literally cannot get more local. A big part of the culture change at UCF is drawing kids from outside of Central Florida. For every kid from South Florida that wants to go to Tampa or Orlando, there is a kid from the I-4 that wants to be in Miami, get that kid. That we are so local only reinforces the perception that we are last chance U, a continuation of high school.

This is garbage. JulesFIU07 is a closet UM fan. You’ve been exposed, Cane boy. Go post on their loser board!

Official Name:
State University of Florida at Miami, or
Miami State University of Florida, or
Miami Florida State University

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:02 am   
Golden Panther

SouthPaw wrote:
JulesFIU07 wrote:

This is garbage. JulesFIU07 is a closet UM fan. You’ve been exposed, Cane boy. Go post on their loser board!

When you cannot attack the position, attack the person.

I’ve made it clear, I don’t care about UM; you’ve made it very clear you do. Undoubtedly you were a fan growing up, undoubtedly you wanted to go there, and we know you did not. That is why you are obsessed. These are not problems I have.