It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:37 am

How is Pete Garcia still Athletic Director?

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:57 am   
Cougar

The President of FIU has to be looking at the fact that the guy pete fired 7 years ago for one bad season is now coaching the number 7th ranked team in the country after replacing the guy FSU fired yesterday two years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:28 pm   
Golden Panther

voss749 wrote:
The President of FIU has to be looking at the fact that the guy pete fired 7 years ago for one bad season is now coaching the number 7th ranked team in the country after replacing the guy FSU fired yesterday two years ago.

Yup. And before that, he was a coach at Alabama and scUM. Two programs we can all look up to, albeit not passionately regarding the latter. #FSN

Forget Mario's dismissal for a second, how about FAILING in just about every other category that an athletic director should manage?

1- Fundraising: FAIL
2- Program Growth: FAIL
3- Attendance: FAIL
4- Community Support & Visibility: FAIL
5- Stadium Camera Positioning: FAIL

#SID #GoGatorsUntilAthleticsIsRunByFolksWhoCARE

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:44 pm   
Site Admin

Everyone, including A LOT of the long time fans are over looking his LONG LIST OF FAILURES because he got Butch.

That's it.

Quijote wrote:
voss749 wrote:

Yup. And before that, he was a coach at Alabama and scUM. Two programs we can all look up to, albeit not passionately regarding the latter. #FSN

Forget Mario's dismissal for a second, how about FAILING in just about every other category that an athletic director should manage?

1- Fundraising: FAIL
2- Program Growth: FAIL
3- Attendance: FAIL
4- Community Support & Visibility: FAIL
5- Stadium Camera Positioning: FAIL

#SID #GoGatorsUntilAthleticsIsRunByFolksWhoCARE

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:05 pm   
Puma

He has blackmail on the president. It's the only reasonable explanation.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:16 pm   
Golden Panther

Yeah... It's really hard to justify why this guy is one of the highest paid AD's in the state.

Speaking of an Athletics Department who cares... I'll share a brief moment from last years Shula Bowl...

At about middle of the 4th quarter, I couldn't watch anymore and decided to get a jump back on the long drive back home. I parked my car in the northwest lot of the campus like by the SAAC building.

As I was rounding around the north side of the arena, I notice a large screen tv on in one of the upstairs offices of the Athletic Department. Which game is on? The SEC network. (I believe it was Auburn and someone else)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:59 pm   
Golden Panther

RoaryIsMyHomeboy wrote:
Yeah... It's really hard to justify why this guy is one of the highest paid AD's in the state.

Speaking of an Athletics Department who cares... I'll share a brief moment from last years Shula Bowl...

At about middle of the 4th quarter, I couldn't watch anymore and decided to get a jump back on the long drive back home. I parked my car in the northwest lot of the campus like by the SAAC building.

As I was rounding around the north side of the arena, I notice a large screen tv on in one of the upstairs offices of the Athletic Department. Which game is on? The SEC network. (I believe it was Auburn and someone else)

I've seen Athletics brass tune into UCG football games in the arena's suites during FIU basketball games. Disgusting.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:34 am   
Golden Panther

FIUPantherFan wrote:
Everyone, including A LOT of the long time fans are over looking his LONG LIST OF FAILURES because he got Butch.

#LONG_LIST_OF_FAILURES should be the new mantra

Honestly, it just feels like good ol' fashioned South Florida cronyism. Granted, I think Rosenberg's war on Greeks has hurt Athletics just as much.

Did anybody else notice the alumni association tailgate for this week was cancelled due to "lack of interest?"

Hate to put it all on the backs of the team, but a win this Saturday would work WONDERS for morale going into the game at Marlins park. I truly fear back to back whoopings by local foes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:51 am   
Golden Panther

If I thought there was any chance that Butch would make defensive adjustments aimed at tamping down the run, I might entertain thoughts of an upset. But I fear that we will go into that game thinking that somehow a team that has not executed a run defense to date (against a foe that runs well) will simply "do better", away from home, against an amped-up team and a coach that has run circles around our coach to date, and I am afraid that is a recipe for disaster. In fact, owing to Kiffin's disdain, the FAU game may be a worse blowout than the Miami game. It would be nice to be proven wrong, of course.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:20 pm   
Golden Panther

The only reason he got the extension as AD is because he got Butch and we had a couple of good years under Butch. This year, not so much. To be fair, as far as success goes, basketball has been on the rise since last year. Men's soccer, diving and tennis are solid.

But, baseball has been a disaster the last few years, despite great recruiting (on paper). The other sports are all decent to bad.

Most prominently, yes, fan engagement is terrible, but that has a lot to do with student culture and especially Greek life (which has been squashed to the point of non-existent). The city of Miami still belongs to UM unfortunately. It'll be hard to pull in new fans as long as the local sports broadcasters suck up to UM sports.

Still, the AD should make FIU sports matter, and he just doesn't care that much. Having Rosenberg as best friend doesn't hurt.