It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:25 pm

GAMEWEEK 11: um @ F I U

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:03 am   
Golden Panther

Holy crap. Still can't believe FIU won. What a win for this program!!! Random thoughts below:

1) I was at the game. You could tell the guys wanted this one so badly. The level of energy they came out and played with infinitely greater than any other game this season. This was not the same team that showed up for the MT and FAU games. Those fourth down stops were electric. Jones had a look on his face after that 4th quarter TD run like he was a man possessed. There was nothing that was going to stop these guys.

2) The defense man... What a performance. Those turnovers were HUGE. Generated a nice pass rush against "UCG" too. Williams finished the game with a 9.3 QBR. Yikes. I thought the team also did a pretty good job stopping the run until the 4th quarter. Coach Copp and Kruse dialed up their best game all season. The game plan was excellent. Can't believe I just said that! They deserve a lot of praise. The DBs consistently jumped routes.

3) James Morgan managed this game perfectly. Playing without some of his top weapons, he protected the football while making plays. That stupid turnover chain never made an appearance.

4) The O-line got some of their best push all season. And this was especially true when we needed it most. On the last drive, everyone in that building knew we were running the football and yet Miami could do nothing to stop it. The hole they opened up for Jones on that last TD run was just massive... Outstanding performance against a talented Miami D-line.

5) Special teams was special. A good special this time. Jose made some absolute BOMBS. Heatherly punted well and there was excellent coverage. We won the field position battle. Loved to see it!

6) I wanted to save this for last... And I don't want to crap on the parade, but I think it really must be said. The fan support at the game was tragic. It hurt pretty bad to hear FIU boo'd super loudly coming out of the tunnel. The stands looked to be ~85-90% green and orange. This was supposed to be an FIU home game. Why are we playing it at Marlins Park if we can't even sell the game out? I get that many didn't think FIU would win (myself included). But to those who didn't go to the game, you missed out on a truly magical night. This is why I said on the first page of the thread, you support your team regardless if they are playing well. We aren't UCG fans. We are FIU fans. Let's be better than those bandwagoners. I truly hope this university is able to rally around this win and capture this lightning in a bottle. Let's build up the fan base. Let's land some big-time recruits. Let's take over this city. Let's change this university forever. Don't waste this opportunity!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's rep our school proudly this week and the many to come. Let everyone know who runs this city now!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:19 am   
Golden Panther

If you want to relive the glory:

phpBB [video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6oVfIoEGvQ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:44 am   
Cougar

CAN’T. STOP. SMILING.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:06 am   
Golden Panther

That's an awesome recap, Dynasty. Let's hope this win is the building block upon which big things are founded. You couldn't ask for a better one, that is for sure. So far as building up the fan base, this win will help, but it is still going to take work on the part of an AD who actually wants to expend effort and spend money, both on campus and in the community. As for the coaching staff, if you cannot make recruiting inroads in South Florida off of this outcome, you are a bunch of dead dogs on the side of the road.

First things first, though, pray God that they carry the momentum up to West by God Virginia. You'd have to forgive an emotional letdown, but wouldn't it be nice if they went up there and stomped the living crap out of the Hallidays?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:50 pm   
Golden Panther

panther viscosity wrote:
Honestly, FIU looked like the more talented team last night. The score really wasn't indicative of the game. I even heard some canes commentors on 560, which I only tuned into to hear the meltdown, commenting after the game how they felt FIU dominated and looked like the better team. UM only made the score close at the end because FIU went super conservative to waste clock on offense and the defense went conservative as well. UM just didn't have enough time to come back, canes fans started leaving early in the 4th qtr. I was at the game and it just seemed like FIU was the team playing with swag and confidence not UM.

FIU finally played up to the preseason hype.

Miami is the more talented team. Flat out. FIU just wanted this one more. A lot more. And it showed for 3+ quarters.

The Canes didn't take FIU seriously, even after trailing at halftime. They just assumed the switch would turn on. It finally did at 23-3 but it was too late by then.

I suspect the FAU beatdown had something to do with FIU's fire. That was a bad loss. The bye week certainly helped get our guys healthy and that made a difference.

Miami's coaching staff has trouble motivating their guys after bye weeks, for some reason. Kind of a weird thing.

Also, those 4th down stops in the first half were monster. If they settle for 3 both times, it's a much closer game at the half and they may very well have gotten into form sooner.

Building A Dynasty wrote:
The fan support at the game was tragic. It hurt pretty bad to hear FIU boo'd super loudly coming out of the tunnel. The stands looked to be ~85-90% green and orange. This was supposed to be an FIU home game. Why are we playing it at Marlins Park if we can't even sell the game out? I get that many didn't think FIU would win (myself included). But to those who didn't go to the game, you missed out on a truly magical night. This is why I said on the first page of the thread, you support your team regardless if they are playing well. We aren't UCG fans. We are FIU fans. Let's be better than those bandwagoners. I truly hope this university is able to rally around this win and capture this lightning in a bottle. Let's build up the fan base. Let's land some big-time recruits. Let's take over this city. Let's change this university forever. Don't waste this opportunity!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's rep our school proudly this week and the many to come. Let everyone know who runs this city now!

Stadium capacity was the reason. The game contract stipulated that FIU had to host in a 40,000+ seat venue. FIU Stadium isn't anywhere close to that. It was either Marlins Park or Hard Rock and I'll take Marlins Park any day.

For that matter, I'm down with doing UM-FIU every year at Marlins Park. Not just because of this win, either. I think this would make an awesome neutral site/trophy game. Schools split everything 50/50. Make it a celebration of all things Miami. It could turn into a pretty cool and very unique tradition, especially if FIU gets better as a program.

If FIU keeps winning statement games like this, the fans will follow.

Diagodog wrote:
That's an awesome recap, Dynasty. Let's hope this win is the building block upon which big things are founded. You couldn't ask for a better one, that is for sure. So far as building up the fan base, this win will help, but it is still going to take work on the part of an AD who actually wants to expend effort and spend money, both on campus and in the community. As for the coaching staff, if you cannot make recruiting inroads in South Florida off of this outcome, you are a bunch of dead dogs on the side of the road.

First things first, though, pray God that they carry the momentum up to West by God Virginia. You'd have to forgive an emotional letdown, but wouldn't it be nice if they went up there and stomped the living crap out of the Hallidays?

Too bad Marshall isn't at home. I bet that would have drawn $$$$ well after this result. FIU better win that game regardless or else it's a momentum killer. I think they will, too. I don't forsee a letdown.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:52 pm   
Golden Panther

Clawing Cancer wrote:
panther viscosity wrote:
Honestly, FIU looked like the more talented team last night. The score really wasn't indicative of the game. I even heard some canes commentors on 560, which I only tuned into to hear the meltdown, commenting after the game how they felt FIU dominated and looked like the better team. UM only made the score close at the end because FIU went super conservative to waste clock on offense and the defense went conservative as well. UM just didn't have enough time to come back, canes fans started leaving early in the 4th qtr. I was at the game and it just seemed like FIU was the team playing with swag and confidence not UM.

FIU finally played up to the preseason hype.

Miami is the more talented team. Flat out. FIU just wanted this one more. A lot more. And it showed for 3+ quarters.

The Canes didn't take FIU seriously, even after trailing at halftime. They just assumed the switch would turn on. It finally did at 23-3 but it was too late by then.

I suspect the FAU beatdown had something to do with FIU's fire. That was a bad loss. The bye week certainly helped get our guys healthy and that made a difference.

Miami's coaching staff has trouble motivating their guys after bye weeks, for some reason. Kind of a weird thing.

Also, those 4th down stops in the first half were monster. If they settle for 3 both times, it's a much closer game at the half and they may very well have gotten into form sooner.

I agree the Hurricanes are a more talented team overall, based on recruiting rankings, but I still think on that night even including the 4th qtr they didn't really show it.

The 4th qtr wasn't that they all of sudden flipped a switch and started playing with fire that doesn't happen when your fans are walking out the stadium and there is no energy from canes fans in the stadium. The 4th qtr was a case of FIU becoming ultra conservative and UM being desperate. FIU was in RUSH, RUSH, PASS mode on offense in the 4th, while Miami literally passed on almost every down. It's somewhat similar to what made the score appear closer than it really was last year at hard rock. There was not nearly enough time for them to make a come back down 23-3 with 11 minutes to go in the 4th qtr if FIU just ate the clock and prevented big plays.

They had 0 sacks all game. FIU had 2 and one that they got a break on because of a penalty on the way Curtis tackled the qb. FIU actually made quite a few mistakes of their own that could've made the score worse: A dropped TD pass, a dropped INT, a blown zone coverage, allowing UM to convert on a 4th and 10 in the 4th qtr which led to a TD, and 144 yards worth of penalties to Miami's 66.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:02 pm   
Golden Panther

Full game replay without commercials. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsl6UWoxl2g

What a glorious moment for the program and all of us loyal supporters.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:29 pm   
Golden Panther

I wasn't really sure I would live to see the day that we would bring the insufferable front runners low. After all, there are currently no more games with UCG scheduled. As I have told many people, this was, without a doubt, the pinnacle of my football watching experience, bar none. Not everyone gets to live out this dream, you know. Will Middle Tennessee State Tractor Pulling Institute of Technology ever down big brother in Knoxville, etc? We are blessed and special indeed. As one local coach so astutely put it, we slayed a giant!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6