It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:32 pm

Beating UCG spikes media coverage & social media pride

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:55 pm   
Golden Panther

What an amazing couple of days we’ve had after we beat University of Coral Gables on Saturday. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, you name it have been flooded with references to our win this Saturday in Marlins Park. Mostly positive this time around, except for the ones still reeling from thei defeat. Kudos to FIU Athletics for creating so much...and great...videos and posts about the historical win.

The idea for a “victory celebration” today was genius, with a very surprising and solid response by FIU students, fans, and even media members’ coverage. The Miami Herald had like 2-3 stories on FIU’s win (and mostly from FIU’s perspective and not UM’s), including a great and FIU-positive (first time ever in my estimation) column by Greg Cote.

Good moment to be an FIU fan.

Go Panthers!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:29 am   
Golden Panther

I was shocked by Cote’s column, but I will take it. We even got an article in the Washington Post. We may not win the CUSA title, but this win carried an enormous amount of weight, and resonated nationally. It showed we can beat a team that, on paper, is much more talented than us.

We need to use this going into recruiting’s final stretch, and use this as motivation against Marshall.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:31 am   
Golden Panther

What i love most is the "we are the real 305" angle that most of the local tv outlets seemed to embrace yesterday. It has been phenomenal and so much fun.

Call me greedy, but im not done.

I think we have an unrivalled opportunity to continue to earn everyones love and attention by beating Marshall and possibly winning a bowl game.

Twicr as many people will be tuning in and/or checking the box score. Beat Marshall and win a bowl and i will be gloating all offseason.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:00 am   
Golden Panther

I love all the coverage! In the words of LeBron.... "It's about $$$$ time"!!!

Here's some of the stories being referenced:

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/greg-cote/article237674839.html#storylink=mainstage_lead

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/conference-usa/florida-international-university/article237746119.html#storylink=mainstage_lead

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/conference-usa/florida-international-university/article237752724.html#storylink=mainstage

As others have said, I completely agree that we must beat Marshall. One of the big knocks on FIU throughout this process, is that this was just one fluke win. We need to string together some victories (including the bowl game) to get some serious momentum going into the offseason. FIU is currently a 7 point underdog on the road to Marshall... Time to pull off another upset. The team has to come out just as fired up as the Miami game. I fear they may be emotionally hungover from the win. We'll see.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:14 pm   
Golden Panther

Agreed. All this positive attention ends with a loss to Marshall. This game is even more critical because now FIU has to prove it wasn't a fluke.

If you want the potential fanbase in Miami to take this program seriously, it can't keep being middle of the pack in CUSA. It has to at least go toe to toe with P5 teams, if not win outright.

All this attention has me convinced now more that ever that FIU should really explore independence, especially if it means more P5 teams at home for football. I really don't know if you can create and maintain this kind of momentum with a CUSA schedule and 1 or 2 shots a year at best vs P5 teams, not counting a bowl game.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:00 pm   
Golden Panther

I kind of agree with Clawing here... the independent role is an interesting strategy. Although you could wind up a UMass, quality of opponents matter.

Also - to get the Miami fanbase at large interested we need to upgrade our stadium big time.

And to be 100% clear, i mean UPGRADE and not expand.

On a smaller scale, I think Hard Rock Stadium is the model we should follow. With their upgrades a few years ago they removed seating (from the corners as a football stadium should).

This likely comes down to money, and its not fair to shoulder it on the student fees and/or alumni alone. Pepsi has our campus rights, why can't somebody like them be tapped?

One of the beautiful things about the UM game highlights... is that it is in a beautiful stadium to match the product on the field. Every game is a showcase. Our home game highlights, win or lose, generally leave a lot to be desired.

I can sell Marlins park all day for friends and family to join me. FIU stadium is getting harder and harder every year.

This has become evermore glaring to me after the Shula Bowl and win over UM.

Anyway, one step at a time. Beat Marshall first.

Just beat Marshall.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:42 pm   
Golden Panther

That's why I like the canopy idea. In today's age of high-def TV and technology, you have to really make the game day experience special to attract people and keep them coming back.

Who wants to sit through games in sun or rain? Or have bad/overpriced food? Or bad customer service? These are small but critical things. Details matter.

As for independence... yeah, you risk being a UMass, but Miami was able to win national titles as an indy. Can a CUSA team realistically get into the playoff? Let's not kid ourselves. If you're not going big in South Florida, might as well go home. You can't sell beef as steak here.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:37 am   
Golden Panther

IMHO, continuing to play CUSA football will eventually mean the end of the sport at FIU.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:54 am   
Golden Panther

Sad fact: We will gain next to nothing by winning at Marshall, but we will sure hear about it if we lose to Marshall.

And what is the big prize for winning the CUSA? You get to go to the Hot Wheels Bowl in Jackson instead of the Beef O'Brady Bowl in Clearwater? Or for playing in the CUSA title game? Anyone ever seen the attendance for that game? A half filled stadium at some tractor pull university in the sticks.

Go 10--2 as an independent, having knocked off a BYU, an Arkansas, and an Indiana along the way and you will be playing in a major market bowl sometime between Christmas and New Year's and being paid decent money for it, and you will stand the chance of having drawn decent home crowds, something that is never, ever going to happen so long as the schedule consists of UTEP, Middle Tennessee, UTSA, etc.

It cannot possibly be any worse than what took place this past year. It simply could not.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:52 am   
Golden Panther

Diagodog wrote:
Sad fact: We will gain next to nothing by winning at Marshall, but we will sure hear about it if we lose to Marshall.

And what is the big prize for winning the CUSA? You get to go to the Hot Wheels Bowl in Jackson instead of the Beef O'Brady Bowl in Clearwater? Or for playing in the CUSA title game? Anyone ever seen the attendance for that game? A half filled stadium at some tractor pull university in the sticks.

Go 10--2 as an independent, having knocked off a BYU, an Arkansas, and an Indiana along the way and you will be playing in a major market bowl sometime between Christmas and New Year's and being paid decent money for it, and you will stand the chance of having drawn decent home crowds, something that is never, ever going to happen so long as the schedule consists of UTEP, Middle Tennessee, UTSA, etc.

It cannot possibly be any worse than what took place this past year. It simply could not.

Agreed 100%. Even if the schedule is mostly other independents and G5/FCS, having the flexibility to play more P5's at any point in the season instead of committing to a conference schedule is tempting.

Does it really matter to the average FIU fan if you're playing Liberty or Marshall when you're not playing a P5? The answer is no, clearly. We hardcores know there's a difference, but there's not enough there yet to support in a meaningful way.

I suspect that FIU can do better than three P5 schools a season simply because of the South Florida recruiting grounds. Especially P5's with no regular presence in Florida. Think B1G or Big 12. An SEC/ACC doormat type might want to risk it just to get in front of recruits. And playing those games would be very good for the financial bottom line, not to mention give FIU the chance to score wins against schools people in Miami have actually heard of.

The only real value CUSA brings is in the bowl games and other sports. TV is negligible, especially in the age of streaming and with what the conference pays. While having the extra practices matter, the bowl itself doesn't outside of NY6 or the playoff. And I think FIU can create its own bowl game if it really wanted to. FAU did, right?

You can stick most of the other sports in the Atlantic Sun without too much of a dropoff. Giving them an easier path to the NCAA tournament has its perks, especially in basketball. Baseball and men's soccer take a hit, but they could certainly overcome it.

How much does football really matter? How much does playing against name brand schools matter? And can FIU really draw more P5 teams at home? Those are the big questions here.

We've all seen now what happens to the base when FIU beats Miami versus any CUSA school or other G5's like UCF. Giving FIU more chances to do that is paramount to building the base.

If this is the only way to fill the Cage on the regular with fans, is it worth the risk? I think it very well might. And if it gives you a backdoor way to make the playoff, even better.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:33 am   
Golden Panther

I think that at this point, going independent is the only alternative to going down the chute. I just don't see how long the current status can possibly be maintained. Of course, other schools that have been nothing but slug bait since forever, such as UTEP, seem to survive somehow, so I guess it is possible.

Here is a novel idea: how about going out on a REALLY big limb and paying a research firm to conduct a poll to see just what if anything might influence students, alumni, even people living in the zip codes within x miles of La Cage au Folle to attend FIU football games; questions could be asked about name recognition of opponents, days and times of games, conference affiliation, quality of hot dog, need for a canopy, beauty of the school's name and mascot, etc.. I think MOST of the student BODY are capable of human communication--the resultant data might yield fascinating information.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:46 am   
Cougar

Checkout www.universityofcoralgables.com hahah

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:59 pm   
Golden Panther

goooomez wrote:

:)

That is great.

Diagodog wrote:
I think that at this point, going independent is the only alternative to going down the chute. I just don't see how long the current status can possibly be maintained. Of course, other schools that have been nothing but slug bait since forever, such as UTEP, seem to survive somehow, so I guess it is possible.

Here is a novel idea: how about going out on a REALLY big limb and paying a research firm to conduct a poll to see just what if anything might influence students, alumni, even people living in the zip codes within x milesui of La Cage au Folle to attend FIU football games; questions could be asked about name recognition of opponents, days and times of games, conference affiliation, quality of hot dog, need for a canopy, beauty of the school's name and mascot, etc.. I think MOST of the student BODY are capable of human communication--the resultant data might yield fascinating information.

The status quo could go on forever as long as the current funding stays in place. Whether that is acceptable is the question. I hope that's not the goal long term. If it is, move to FCS and be done with it.

I'd definitely like to see some serious research on these topics. Unfortunately, in my experience, when schools or teams hire research firms, it's often to justify a predetermined result, either intentionally or unintentionally. But even so, it would be fascinating reading.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:38 am   
Golden Panther

But the key is, "so long as the current funding structure stays in place."

The money that keeps this whole shebang going comes from student activity funds and there was not a game where 1,000 of them showed up this year. I wonder if many more than that were picked up for the Canes game, in fact.

How long before some FIU student version of David J. Neal notes the above and begins to raise holy hell, that is my point.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:46 am   
Golden Panther

Diagodog wrote:
But the key is, "so long as the current funding structure stays in place."

The money that keeps this whole shebang going comes from student activity funds and there was not a game where 1,000 of them showed up this year. I wonder if many more than that were picked up for the Canes game, in fact.

How long before some FIU student version of David J. Neal notes the above and begins to raise holy hell, that is my point.

Especially if FIU keeps being middle of the pack or worse in a conference most everyone doesn't care about.

I agree with you there 100%. But let's also see if the Miami win has any effect on that. Too bad there's no home games left.