It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:57 pm

Borregales to enter transfer portal

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:45 am   
Golden Panther

I hope he kicks it wide right vs FSU and UM loses by 2.Harsh... but I don't agree with this move.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:26 pm   
Juvenile Panther

I say good riddance and we should wish him all the best. :x You can't blame a kid for wanting to get more exposure for the next level and considering how awful our attendance is at the home games, I don't blame him. I'm not a student at FIU but I am a football players parent and from my perspective the elephant in the room is the lack of team support from the student body and BD will move on soon if that doesn't change soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:02 pm   
Golden Panther

PBCPanther1 wrote:
I say good riddance and we should wish him all the best. :x You can't blame a kid for wanting to get more exposure for the next level and considering how awful our attendance is at the home games, I don't blame him. I'm not a student at FIU but I am a football players parent and from my perspective the elephant in the room is the lack of team support from the student body and BD will move on soon if that doesn't change soon.

Fans at games don't give kids exposure to NFL scouts. If you can play, the NFL finds you anywhere. And it's not like FIU is a small division III school. We're in ConferenceUSA. Jose is transferring because he's always been a UCG fan.

Blame Pete Garcia and President Rosenberg for the lack of fans. Both need to go. Both are incompetent. They have no idea how to get students and alumni excited for this program.

Official Name:
State University of Florida at Miami, or
Miami State University of Florida, or
Miami Florida State University

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:43 pm   
Golden Panther

FIU Beisbol wrote:
I hope he kicks it wide right vs FSU and UM loses by 2.Harsh... but I don't agree with this move.

Should that happen, his throat slashing gif would make a great meme... just saying...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:35 am   
Golden Panther

PBCPanther1 wrote:

I have to agree regarding the attendance. It's definitely a worrisome trend that doesn't seem to be getting much attention from the people it should be getting attention from (namely, PG and Co.) and why heads haven't rolled by now over this is more proof in my mind that Rosenberg and Co. still don't have the right mentality in place.

If Butch leaves, that's going to be the real reason why, I suspect. He has to be frustrated over it and there's just no way it won't affect recruiting. It makes his job a hell of a lot harder.

I have no problem with Borregales leaving for what might be a better shot to get into the NFL. I really wished it wasn't UM (or FAU), but the kid was mostly money in his 3 years here. His bombs vs. UCG was the margin of victory. That alone earns him my respect. I hope he does well wherever he goes. Kid will always be a Panther in my book. I won't fault him (or anyone else) for doing the "smart" thing. It's his life, not ours. Thank him for his good work and move on. He's earned it.

I definitely feel where many of you are coming from regarding JB and his love for UCG, but let's face facts here. For most Miami kids, UCG is THE school and always has been. They won most of their natties before FIU even had a football team. Can you realistically expect most football players to ignore that, especially at FIU, where you're always compared to the U in everything?

There's a reason FIU players get geeked when the play the U in any sport. That feeling of getting passed over is a hard one to shake. It's what led to the brawl at the OB that sealed Strock's fate and what inspired Butch's boys to beat the U at Marlins Park. You don't think JB was making that throat slash just because he hit a FG or two, do you?

What's FIU done to change that perception? Field a football team that's mostly been crap on a stick before Butch got here? Run an athletic department that, for the most part, has been characterized by almost anything else other than winning at the highest level?

You can't expect people in South Florida - especially those with no direct ties to FIU - to give a $$$$ about the school just because it exists. It really seems to me that many FIU fans have that expectation. That's not how it works and it's never been how it works. If you want fans in Miami, it has to be earned.

FIU clearly hasn't done enough to make people care. That's on the school. No one else. If that ever changes, it has to be from within.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:45 am   
Golden Panther

SouthPaw wrote:
Fans at games don't give kids exposure to NFL scouts. If you can play, the NFL finds you anywhere. And it's not like FIU is a small division III school. We're in ConferenceUSA. Jose is transferring because he's always been a UCG fan.

Blame Pete Garcia and President Rosenberg for the lack of fans. Both need to go. Both are incompetent. They have no idea how to get students and alumni excited for this program.

Incompetents don't land a Butch Davis. That's a bit harsh, I'd say. But I do think PG's overstayed his welcome and then some.

He did well getting FIU out of the mess it was in before he got there and changing a lot of other things, but he's been around a while and, sometimes, you just need new blood with new ideas. Especially since he really hasn't solved the critical issues of fan support and donors.

As for Rosenberg, I just think he's too much of an academic "play it safe" type. He's an FIU lifer and people like that, by and large, aren't the type to change things up or make waves. We desperately need another Maidique type, but someone who will do it for athletics instead of for all the other things.

I think a fresh blood infusion at the top would work well. Especially if they come from schools that value athletics.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:01 am   
Cougar

PBCPanther1 wrote:

It’s worrying to hear that as it is very unlikely to change without FIU going on a UCF type run and that probably won’t happen. This also tells me that Butch may feel he is in over his head at FIU and is not confident he can grow the program from what it was like he did at his previous stops. I had been been hoping that Butch had a plan in place that would show up with the program turning the corner and having a breakout season soon.

The reasons these grad transfers hurt is because FIU seems to finally be set to return alot of experience and talent then proceeds to lose the starting right tackle and star kicker. FIU needs a strong season next year badly and that will be in jeopardy if they keep bleeding talent prematurely especially at the lines. Butch now has to find a way to bring in high level grad transfers just to replace what was lost. Butch has done well with bringing in grad transfers before but it is still difficult to do at a program of FIUs level with struggling fan support.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:46 am   
Golden Panther

1) The incoming kicking recruit is, according to one source, "the best high school kicker in the Southeast." Was Jose Borealis ever rated as anything special? The King is dead. Long live the King.

2) Other than that one special needs loss, we have a DT transferring to a place where, presumably, they promised him a chance to play and be noticed in a major college setting that would make him FAR more likely to be drafted. Any DT in the CUSA would take the offer in a heartbeat.

3) Larry Blustein says that Butch has recruited several potential difference makers from Dade this time around. Let's see.

4) If Butch Davis is "in over his head," I don't think FIU has much to do with it. He has proven to be organized, intelligent, and straightforward, and his presence is surely a point of pride for the institution. However, he has not proven himself to be innovative or to have surrounded himself with a staff that does much in terms of player development. He is in his late 60's and is unlikely to be "hired away," unless he produces a miracle season. If he gets sick and tired of the lack of support shown him by the administration and the student body, maybe he will walk away. And I don't see Pete Garcia staying around after Butch's departure.

5) Only the appointment of a President who loves football is going to change things much in the FIU football program, and even that person is going to be faced with the need to find some deep-pockets boosters in order to make any significant difference.

6) Hey, we are the reigning city champs, and maybe this year is the year that Davis's long-term strategy (assuming there is one) finally pays off. There won't be anyone in the stands to see, except for the likes of us, of course, but at least there aren't any long lines to deal with. Paws up!