It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:44 pm

Coach Evans Watch

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:00 pm   
Site Admin

That's my fear. It's also telling that he is out there recruiting and getting commitments. So far he has signed:

Josh Stamps - 6'5" SG JUCO from Trinity Valley CC - He averaged 12.5 PPG, 46.7% FG, 38.2% 3PT, 79.8% FT, 3.4 Reb, 1.2 Assists - Looks like a decent player that can contribute and will need to because we need someone to replace Donte.

He has also gotten some verbals:

Cordell Veira - 6'3" PG from Toronto Basketball Academy - Don't have stats on him but I've seen some of the box scores and he does well but you never know with Candadian HS level competition if that really means anything. Also, based on the fact that he didn't play the last couple of months, I would say Kimar Williams in ineligible for one reason or another so he might not be back.

Anthony Munson, Jr. - 6'2" SG from Tennessee Preparatory Academy - Can't find much on him either.

Kasper Christiansen - 6'10" PF from Denmark - Not much info on him either.

All of these guys have nice videos but you can edit that any way you want. The fact is, we are losing our top 4 scorers next year, I'm sure we will lose 1/2 more to transfers. If Evans stays we are basically going to have a mess next year (bigger than this year without the senior leadership).

pikedanny wrote:
For what it's worth, I've heard from people within Athletics that Evans will stay for another year because we can't afford to pay yet another fired coach. Lame excuse, but that's what I'm told.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:00 pm   
Golden Panther

pikedanny wrote:
For what it's worth, I've heard from people within Athletics that Evans will stay for another year because we can't afford to pay yet another fired coach. Lame excuse, but that's what I'm told.

I've heard the same thing

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:41 pm   
Juvenile Panther

embarrassing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:39 am   
Cougar

I know this might not be what we want to hear but...

This is a good idea. Sacrificing one year sucks I know. However, after next season Evans will likely be axed and we will have more money to find a competent replacement. If we were to fire Evans and hire a new coach we'd likely settle for a low salary candidate who will be at least 3 more years of perennial CUSA bottomfeeding. Also it might be cutting into football funds which honestly is and should be our priority right now given Coach Davis's age. So let's hope next year produces at least 1 or 2 players we can keep for the following coaching staff. That's about all the goals I would set for Coach Evans.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:57 pm   
Cougar

Is next year the final year of Evans' contract?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:47 pm   
Cougar

SP1029 wrote:
Is next year the final year of Evans' contract?

He got a five year deal originally from what I found in an ESPN article. That would make next season the last on his contract.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:57 am   
Golden Panther

Some how.... he's still not fired.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:04 am   
Golden Panther

and still.... not fired.....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:48 pm   
Golden Panther

Guys, he is returning as coach.

BTW, couple more commitments/signings have transpired:

Willy Nuñez, a 6'6 SG from Indian River State JUCO committed to FIU. He averaged 20.8 points, 5.5 rebounds and 3 assists per game, leading his team in scoring and second in rebounding. Also, he made 113 3-pointers this past season, leading the conference, while shooting 35% from 3-point land. Played his high school ball in Oak Ridge HS in Orlando.

Isaiah Banks, a 6'5 SG/SF out of Heritage HS in Conyers, Georgia. He's considered one of the best "dunkers" in state of Georgia, winning the dunk contest in the Georgia/Alabama All Star Game. ESPN and Scout.com 3-Star player and averaged 17.1 points and 5.2 rebounds for his team. He as a Class 6A 2nd Team All State player.

Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSHzXoZlSrQ

His dunk was considered #2 in the nation: http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/isaiah- ... efault.htm

Now, let's see how many of these players do end up playing hoops for FIU.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:44 am   
Cougar

I guess FIU like having an empty arena.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:54 am   
Golden Panther

SP1029 wrote:

I feel bad for the poor kids coming in to FIU basketball...

Until there is major change in the basketball program there is no point in following the team. I hope for better days ahead.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:21 am   
Puma

FIU Beisbol wrote:
SP1029 wrote:

Until there is major change in the basketball program there is no point in following the team. I hope for better days ahead.

In terms of head coach or interms of Funding? Can a "Name Brand" coach or an up and coming coach get an under funded, program to become sucessful infront of 5000 empty seats. Calling for Change at HC and not changing the Administration and Funding is still going nowhere.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:56 pm   
Cougar

blkpanther wrote:
FIU Beisbol wrote:
SP1029 wrote:

In terms of head coach or interms of Funding? Can a "Name Brand" coach or an up and coming coach get an under funded, program to become sucessful infront of 5000 empty seats. Calling for Change at HC and not changing the Administration and Funding is still going nowhere.

Can't argue that..but there comes a time where you either have to find the funding or shut it down or go down to D2 or D3. I mean there are D2 and D3 schools who have better attendance than us in basketball and even in football.

Pete Garcia can't leave soon enough..whoever the next AD is really needs to evaluate the situation and make the best decision possible...right now it feels like we don't even have a basketball team. No one goes to the games.