It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 12:55 am

FIU Recruiting Update

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:02 am   
Site Admin

Per Pete's Blog...

FIU is in the running for 6-6 guard Lance Stephenson, but been hearing that the Panthers are looking into some character issues. One of them is not LS's father. There have been reports through cyberspace that the father could be a handful, but from what I'm hearing that is not a concern for FIU.

Another recruit that could be headed toward the Bank at FIU is 6-6, 240-pound power forward Kavon Lytch, who also has Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Iowa State, Seton Hall, Kent State, St. John’s, St. Bonaventure, Texas Tech and Alabama-Birmingham after him.

At Midland JUCO, Lytch scored 17.7 points per game and pulled down 9.2 rebounds per game. One possible connection with Lytch and IT is that two years ago, Lytch scored 45 points at a New York Knicks sponsored basketball tournament at Rucker Park in New York. Will try and get Lytch on the phone to see what he's thinking.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:41 pm   
Golden Panther

whats the Word on Lance S. is he signing today? what about Fredrick has he signed to FIU already?

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:48 pm   
Golden Panther

http://fiu.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=947828

as per rivals LW is waiting till the 25th of may.. and i think LS is waiting to hear word on the Sexual assult charge. they also stated a 5 star recruit and a 4 star recruit of 2010 will be attending FIU elite camp

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:50 pm   
Site Admin

I thought LW was definitely out of the picture. I think I saw it on Memphis' board.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:51 pm   
Golden Panther

according to what i read in rivals.. Memphis chance of landing him are dimming... now thats my inturpretation... think memphis is tryign to talk themselves up

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:57 pm   
Site Admin

This is what I got with supposed quotes from LW himself...

Williams Wants to Play at Memphis with Lance

Latavious Williams says he could end up playing for Memphis and he hopes Lance Stephenson joins him there.

Williams, a 6-foot-8 combo forward out of Humble (TX) Christian Life Center, plans to announce in the next few days among Memphis, Georgetown, Oklahoma, Kansas State and Florida International.

“I’d say Memphis is the favorite,” Williams said Wednesday by phone. “More likely, it’s Memphis right now.”

That would be good news for Josh Pastner’s program, which watched point guards Eric Bledsoe and John Wall both choose Kentucky over Memphis; DeMarcus Cousins bail on an oral commitment to Memphis in favor of Kentucky; and Darnell Dodson depart to play for John Calipari’s new team as well.

Williams asked about Stephenson’s plans and said he’d love to play with “Born Ready” in Memphis.

“He needs to go to Memphis,” Williams said of the 6-foot-5 Stephenson, the all-time leading scorer in New York State history.

Stephenson is still involved in a sexual assault case in Brooklyn that was adjourned until June 29. He may wait until after the case is resolved to pick a school.

Arizona, Memphis and possibly Maryland are in the mix.

Williams, who has spoken with FIU coach Isiah Thomas, reiterated that Thomas told him FIU was out of the Stephenson Sweepstakes.

“He had said they couldn’t get him,” Williams said.

Williams has never met Stephenson but watched him play in the McDonald’s All-American Game.

“I just saw him play,” he said. “I had seen him play in the McDonald’s All-American Game and some other game.”

Still, if Williams ends up picking Memphis, he would like Lance to join him there, giving Pastner a couple of dangerous options on the wings.

“I haven’t met him,” Williams said. “I saw him in Vegas. If he goes to Memphis, that would be a good thing.”

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:11 pm   
Golden Panther

Never read that interview of Williams before.....and it definitely seems Memphis...from those quotes...has the obvious lead right now...(or then). The rivals article today, make it sounds less convincing about anywhere...actually intimating FIU might land Stephenson...while not speculating anything, or offering actual quotes, about where LW might be going, other than saying that Memphis chances of landing LW were "dimming".. I guess nobody really knows...but this article makes it sound almost officially for Memphis, in the case of LW. Interesting indeed...

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:30 pm   
Puma

That sucks, but even if it does not happen to go our way I can still be happy with what we have coming in.