It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:38 pm

University of Arkansas transfer...next FIU signee?

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:34 pm   
Golden Panther

It's been rumored ever since he decided to transfer out of University of Arkansas that 6-9/215 PF would head to FIU. Well, the New Orleans native seems to be close to a decision between hometown Tulane, and FIU, but he said FIU was leading right now. He is expected to come visit FIU next Monday, and make a decision soon after as to where he is headed. If he decides for FIU, he has the intention to enroll for the second semester of summer next month.

Brandon Moore..next FIU hoops player?

He averaged 1.9 points and 1.6 rebounds in 9 minutes average as a Freshman last year at Arkansas. He was a scout.com and rivals 3-star player out of high school, and chose Arkansas over Marquette, TCU (he was coached in AAU and recruited by then TCU assistant coach..and now FIU assistant coach- Anthony Anderson), Tulane, and ULL, Ole Miss, and Wichita Sate, while ranking him as the nation's #32 Power Forward, and the nation's #128 overall ranked player.

Depending on which story you read, he averaged anywhere from 16-17 points per game, 10-12 rebounds per game...and most importantly, 5-7 blocks per game.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:49 pm   
Golden Panther

So he would have to sit out this upcoming season right ??

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:18 pm   
Site Admin

He would definitely sit out the next season and his numbers aren't exactly jumping out at me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:41 pm   
Puma

FIUPantherFan wrote:
He would definitely sit out the next season and his numbers aren't exactly jumping out at me.

I'm getting the same impression here...

Listen to Panther Sports Talk Live on Radiate FM and FIUSM.com on Mon, Wed and Fri from 10-11 a.m.! Call in at 305-FIU-3575!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:33 pm   
Golden Panther

Joel wrote:
FIUPantherFan wrote:

Ditto. I don't see anything that screams huge addition.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:55 pm   
Puma

JulesFIU07 wrote:
Joel wrote:
FIUPantherFan wrote:

Ditto. I don't see anything that screams huge addition.

If my memory serves me correctly Josue Soto & Alex Galindo was not exactly lighting it up at their previous schools were they? If Anderson & Isiah thinks he can contribute... lets see

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:09 pm   
Golden Panther

Yep...not eye popping numbers. It is apparent his offense is behind other parts of his game. From what I've found out so far, he is more of an 'up tempo' , athletic, running-type power forward...more so than a "big" strong one...which means his game is more geared towards fast paced offense. Also, his forte appears to be his shot blocking ability...which FIU does not have now that Hicks has left....Obviosly, he didn't pan out in Arkansas, but he would, most likely, find more playing time with FIU, and be more athletic than most PF he would face in the SBC.

He was still, though, at one point considered as the state of Louisiana second best prospect,or among the top 4 by all recruiting services, and rivals "Top 150" Player, so I guess he has some upside....

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/ ... CID=681008

EDIT: Some more info on him....Hoopscooponline.com had him rated as the #72 rated player in the nation in their final 2008 Seniors ranking!!

http://www.hoopscooponline.com/members/ ... latest.asp

Here's a story on him right before his Senior season....

Quote:
Talk about it in Basketball Recruiting Board
New Orleans Holy Cross Coach Juan Lumas is sending talented forward Brandon Moore to visit Arkansas this weekend.

Moore is rated among the top four hoops prospects in Louisiana
Moore, 6-9, 215, is rated among the top four players in Louisiana by all the recruiting services. Moore played his sophomore season at Episcopal Collegiate High School in Little Rock when Hurricane Katrina forced several in New Orleans to evacuate the city for several months.

"Brandon had a great junior season for me," Lumas said. "He was second in the voting for the district's player-of-year behind a player who played on the team that won district. He led the district in blocked shots and rebounding."

As a junior, Moore averaged 16 points, 10 rebounds and 5 blocked shots per game. Holy Cross reached the quarterfinals of the state playoffs and Lumas said during the playoffs Moore averaged 25 points, 15 rebounds and 7 blocked shots per game.

"I think his upside is tremendous," Lumas said. "He is very good with his rebounding and shot blocking. He has to work on his ball-handling skills and offense, but he's improving in that area. He just needs some polishing there and I think he will be much improved at the end of his senior season. Defensively, he's ready to play on the college level at this time."

Lumas said schools from the SEC, Big 12 and ACC are all pursuing Moore. Lumas said he doesn't get caught up in the recruiting rankings, but feels Moore will make a big impact at the school he chooses.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:23 am   
Puma

I for one like the sound of this possible addition.
We've gotten a group of players that can score, we must also get some who can play good D.

This guy sounds like a very good defensive player with a lot of upside. We all know we can't win without some D!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:55 am   
Golden Panther

his Numbers at arkansas i agree do not jump out at you but remember he was averaging 9 mins a game.. kobe, wade, or 'bron wouldnt be averaging to much more w/ only 9 mins a game.

however, i do like these Numbers
Quote:
Depending on which story you read, he averaged anywhere from 16-17 points per game, 10-12 rebounds per game...and most importantly, 5-7 blocks per game

this shows me although he may or may not start if you give him the time he can give you a solid double digit performance.. anywhere b/w 8-10 rebounds (taking it down cause this is the college game) and he is a shot blocker... Defense first mentality. thats what i like to see in my teams players. thats why my favorite all time Heat is Zo.. guy brought it every day on the Defensive end.

Plus at 6'9"... that gives us a bit more height at that position than some of the recruits we have coming in

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:08 am   
Puma

Also the Redshirt year in the weight room would do him good. Try bulk him up to 235 - 240.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:13 am   
Golden Panther

another added bonus to redshirting that this year duiring his transfer year i think FIu should just put that in as a rule already all transfers must be able to red shirt their transfer year lol but again good point blkpanther.. that year in the weight room willr eally help him

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:51 pm   
Puma

Pete confirmed it on his blog, he's transfering to FIU.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:00 pm   
Puma

uhh sorry to bring bad news, but...
I was looking up info on Moore and found this article...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/b ... index.html

Posted: Sunday January 18, 2009 8:17PM; Updated: Sunday January 18, 2009 8:17PM

Arkansas' Moore suspended

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. (AP) -- Arkansas freshman forward Brandon Moore was suspended indefinitely after an arrest Sunday on charges of drunken driving and other offenses.

Moore, 19, was stopped by a campus police officer at 1:51 a.m. after she noticed his vehicle crossed a double-yellow line to pass another vehicle, according to campus police records. The officer said Moore smelled of alcohol and told her he had been drinking. According to the report, he failed a field sobriety test and then tested 0.10 on a breath test at the jail. It is illegal in Arkansas to drive with a blood-alcohol level of 0.08.

Coach John Pelphrey would not comment on Moore's arrest but said Moore would remain on the team.

"Brandon Moore has been suspended indefinitely for a violation of team rules," Pelphrey said in a brief statement. "He will continue to practice and be a part of the team. The University of Arkansas and the basketball program are committed to the highest standards on and off the court, and our student-athletes are expected to adhere to those standards."

Moore, from New Orleans, was charged with driving while intoxicated, reckless driving, no proof of insurance, failure to register a vehicle and unlawful use of dealer tags.

Moore posted $1,360 bond and was released from the Washington County jail, a jailer said.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:02 am   
Juvenile Panther

Well, now we know the real reasons.

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:32 am   
Golden Panther

Can we all agree to second chances ??