It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:39 am

Next Year's Team and Coach Evans

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:28 pm   
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:53 pm
Posts: 4295
With Diaz and Draper graduating, you have a large void in the front court. Here is who is returning...

Starters
(PG) Kimar Williams (So.) 6-1 - Started most of the 2nd half of the season and was really inconsistent. You can tell that there is talent there, but needs to improve ball handling and needs to cut down on turnovers. Also, when will we ever have a true pg who can distribute the ball.
(SG) Donte McGill (Sr.) 6-3 - Our leading scorer should return for his senior season. I was truly surprised by Donte, he can slash, he can shoot and is basically a higher level Dennis Mavin.
(G) Jason Boswell (Sr.) 6-6 - He hasn't turned the corner and if anything he regressed his Jr. season. I'm not sure you don't go smaller and let Eric Nottage be the starter and help Kimar with ball handling.
(SF) Elmo Stephen (Sr.) 6-7 - Elmo will have to step up, he was injured to start the year and we need his spot up shooting ability.
(PF) Hassan Hussein (Jr.) 6-9 - I was really excited to see his development this year and unfortunately he was injured. I think Hassan can become a good player for us, not the inside presence that Adrian was but a good player.

Reserves
(G) Eric Nottage (Jr.) 6-2 - Just as inconsistent as Kimar with not as much upside. However, with how badly this team handles the press, you might want to start him to have 2 average ball handlers.
(F) Michael Douglas (So.) 6-5 - Didn't see much of him, when I did see him, didn't think much of him. He was supposed to be a shooter, yet he was 4-15 from the FT line. Not good.
(C) Nate Brown Bull (R-Fr.) 7-1 - Was injured early on, and when he was in, he was really raw. I hope another year in the gym and better coaching can develop him as we will need someone with his size to match up with other teams.
(F) Cameron Smith (Jr.) 6-7 - Defensive specialist, needs to not be such an offensive liability because he will probably be the only one that can give the front court players a rest.
(G) Ray Rodriguez (Sr.) 6-2 - I don't think he is here next year, very inconsistent.

Incoming (Verbals)
(PG) Greg Shead (Fr.) 5-11 - Lightly recruited and unless he is a ball handling, assist specialist who can come in an distribute the ball, he will be stuck behind Williams and Nottage, however, if he can handle the ball, then it should help us out.
(C) Raekwon Long (Fr.) 7-0 - 3*** Center from North Carolina, seems to be a little better developed than Brown Bull, if he comes in, he could challenge for playing time and could be a capable replacement for Diaz down the line.

That makes 12 players. Nottage is a walk on, I think he deserves a scholly at this point unless you have someone amazing in the wings and then he might leave. I think FIU could conceivably add 7 new players, the 2 incoming above, and then I believe Rodriguez is gone and someone else always leaves surprisingly. That leaves you with only 10 schollies, including the 2 new ones, so you have 5 more to give after that. That means, that once again, this team will be playing for C-USA tournament time only, no way can you integrate that many players and be good at the start of the year.

Evans - I like Evans, his teams never quit and they rarely get embarrassed, however, his teams are bad fundamentally. Can't shoot free throws, terrible at handling or applying pressure and sometimes get out rebounded by much smaller teams. I think he needs to bring in a Coach who is a knows x's and o's coach to supplement his talent evaluation skill. However, if you don't fire Turtle for having horrendous fundamentals, then I doubt you fire Evans for being merely bad. Besides, I doubt you can find someone who is going to be better, and remember, Evans didn't really produce at Norfolk, until his 5th year.

I really don't think we will be much better next year than this year, but maybe they will surprise us. Go F I U!


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:58 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:46 pm
Posts: 5
new to the board, panther fan you say it took five years for Evans to win in Norfork. Should it really take that long? With a roster of 12 by year three he should be improving enough to be at the top-tier the conference possibly top five in the conference he's not even close. Garcia hired a low major Coach at a mid major with school big aspirations. Garcias formula should be a power five assistant for all three major sports preferably with head-coaching experience. He should go back to the Pitino formula for their next head coach. In baseball, Greg Lovelady should be there next head coach. Evans has no recruiting prowess or connections and his resume before FIU was very pedestrian outside of that one great season where he made the NCAA tournament. The reason I love high major assistants in hoops is because the turnaround can be instant if you find the right guy, see Matt McCall of Chattanooga.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:35 pm   
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:53 pm
Posts: 4295
I wouldn't be opposed to them firing Evans, like I said, he hasn't done great things. But neither has Turtle Thomas and he has been here forever, and neither has Ron Turner and he is getting year #4. Why would there be a difference for Evans? The other thing, is yeah, Matt McCall worked, but for every Matt McCall there is a Orlando Antigua or a Benford at UNT. You never know what you are going to get.

StevenA wrote:
new to the board, panther fan you say it took five years for Evans to win in Norfork. Should it really take that long? With a roster of 12 by year three he should be improving enough to be at the top-tier the conference possibly top five in the conference he's not even close. Garcia hired a low major Coach at a mid major with school big aspirations. Garcias formula should be a power five assistant for all three major sports preferably with head-coaching experience. He should go back to the Pitino formula for their next head coach. In baseball, Greg Lovelady should be there next head coach. Evans has no recruiting prowess or connections and his resume before FIU was very pedestrian outside of that one great season where he made the NCAA tournament. The reason I love high major assistants in hoops is because the turnaround can be instant if you find the right guy, see Matt McCall of Chattanooga.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:24 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:46 pm
Posts: 5
I honestly think the only reason turtles still here is because he made the NCAA tournament last year. Didn't Bentford make the NCAA tournament last year?


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:20 am   
Cougar

Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:33 am
Posts: 104
Firing any coach right now doesn't make sense. We need to make sure Pete's contract is not renewed this summer and we should be ok with a different athletic director.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:25 am   
Juvenile Panther

Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:46 pm
Posts: 5
Sexpanther, what makes you think Rosenberg see's what most of you see? To me, firing him is complicated. Before him, FIU never moved the needle. Since he's been here, it's frenetic and whacky with no vision. Some wise moves, some bad moves. What you don't want is to go back to stagnant.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:32 pm   
Golden Panther

Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:52 am
Posts: 4563
StevenA wrote:
Sexpanther, what makes you think Rosenberg see's what most of you see? To me, firing him is complicated. Before him, FIU never moved the needle. Since he's been here, it's frenetic and whacky with no vision. Some wise moves, some bad moves. What you don't want is to go back to stagnant.



So the pathetic state of FIU Athletics is good for you?

He is the 58th highest paid AD in the country (as of 2013 USA Today). By now may be top 50.
Think about that and let it sink in.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/co ... y/1968783/

_________________
"It's called opportunity, that's what life is all about, you get an opportunity and I think these guys are anxious to have this opportunity and do something with it" - FIU Coach Ron Turner


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:34 pm   
Cougar

Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:36 pm
Posts: 131
I think we really need to ask ourselves, why can’t we get good experience coaches to come to FIU?
It has to be more than a PG issue?

But here are some of the things that stand out to me.
Student fan base very weak
Alumni support, on life support
Community support aligned with UM

Very little local media support, any remember this shot
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... court-shot, CBS, ESPN and other outlets carried this moment.
No local media coverage but national media outlets covered one of the biggest moments in FIU basketball history.

We can’t point fingers, at PG and his team; we also, have to point some of those fingers at ourselves.

How, can we get good coaches to come to FIU with the current regime in power?
Additional issues with a lack of money, and talent just adds more logs to the fire…..

Again, I ask, what’s the answer?


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:36 am   
Golden Panther

Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:52 am
Posts: 4563
I'm ok with being a stepping stone for a good young coach....
The Richard Pitino hiring proves FIU can hire anyone regardless of fan support.



Katar1 wrote:
I think we really need to ask ourselves, why can’t we get good experience coaches to come to FIU?


Our entire athletic budget is 27 million. That should answer your question.

Katar1 wrote:
It has to be more than a PG issue?

The issue with PG is the selection of his hires and his outrageous salary compared to his peers in the conference and production (W/L) from his sports.


Katar1 wrote:
But here are some of the things that stand out to me.
Student fan base very weak
Alumni support, on life support
Community support aligned with UM


Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

Not going to change, needs another generation to pass. My High School aged son is being raised in the way of FIU (yes, that means he has been experiencing failure from a very young age). Most other high school kids are still being raised in all things duhU. Need to hit the Alumni and the High Schools. FIU should actually consider free tickets to all alumni to all sporting events except football and but charge parking ($5), this could generate more income.

Katar1 wrote:
Very little local media support, any remember this shot
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... court-shot, CBS, ESPN and other outlets carried this moment.
No local media coverage but national media outlets covered one of the biggest moments in FIU basketball history.


Really? It was nothing but a highlight reel. The National Media didn't cover the FIU CUSA tourney victory, they showed the highlight only. Gone and forgotten. FIU has no Basketball History. Biggest win EVER was FIU over the University of Michigan Wolverines at OUR HOME. FIU 69 - Wolverines 62. Attendance records 4,638 people (standing room only).

Katar1 wrote:
We can’t point fingers, at PG and his team; we also, have to point some of those fingers at ourselves.


Yes we can, he is the AD and NO, I don't point finger at myself, I'm here still going strong, attending what I can and in terms of football even when I shouldn't. I point to the other 200,000 muerto alumni. I point to YOU!!

Image

Katar1 wrote:
How, can we get good coaches to come to FIU with the current regime in power?
Additional issues with a lack of money, and talent just adds more logs to the fire…..


WKU hired not one, not two, but three (back to back to back). LaTech hired one. It's not the money so much as the person/people doing the selection.
There are good coaches out there...

Katar1 wrote:
Again, I ask, what’s the answer?


It starts with a new AD.

_________________
"It's called opportunity, that's what life is all about, you get an opportunity and I think these guys are anxious to have this opportunity and do something with it" - FIU Coach Ron Turner


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:13 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:46 pm
Posts: 5
Quote:
Katar1 wrote:
But here are some of the things that stand out to me.
Student fan base very weak
Alumni support, on life support
Community support aligned with UM


Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

Not going to change, needs another generation to pass. My High School aged son is being raised in the way of FIU (yes, that means he has been experiencing failure from a very young age). Most other high school kids are still being raised in all things duhU. Need to hit the Alumni and the High Schools. FIU should actually consider free tickets to all alumni to all sporting events except football and but charge parking ($5), this could generate more income.


Chia and everyone else: you guys have a warped sense of FIU's athletic problems blaming everything on Pete. Is Pete a big part of the problem? yes! Should he be fired? Absolutely! However, he's far from the only problem the bigger problem they have is that the university does not align itself with the athletic program as far as marketing goes. Additionally, the fact that the average age of an FIU undergrad is 26 years old doesn't help either. Blaming people's love for the hurricanes as to why FIU doesn't have a community support is like the NHL's Panthers blaming the Marlins Heat or Dolphins for why nobody goes to their games. It's apples and oranges! FIU's needs put a harder focus on being a basketball power like a Gonzaga and winning their conference in football every other year that way when a conference opening comes up in the larger conference they'll be ready to make the leap. Community support starts with young alumni and coaches being mayors for their own teams. You need coaches that are marketers and you need an AD that is a marketer not a fundraiser a marketer! Basketball, nobody knows who Anthony Evans is! He can't sell anything! It was evidenced by his lack of recruiting. Ron Turner?! Too old and too average to be a salesman also not from the area. Turtle just a bad baseball coach but that's the easiest fix. FIU needs to shift it's university focus to being a place people want to attend! Not being the anti UM!


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:37 pm   
Golden Panther

Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:52 am
Posts: 4563
StevenA wrote:
Quote:
Katar1 wrote:
But here are some of the things that stand out to me.
Student fan base very weak
Alumni support, on life support
Community support aligned with UM


Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

Not going to change, needs another generation to pass. My High School aged son is being raised in the way of FIU (yes, that means he has been experiencing failure from a very young age). Most other high school kids are still being raised in all things duhU. Need to hit the Alumni and the High Schools. FIU should actually consider free tickets to all alumni to all sporting events except football and but charge parking ($5), this could generate more income.


Chia and everyone else: you guys have a warped sense of FIU's athletic problems blaming everything on Pete. Is Pete a big part of the problem? yes! Should he be fired? Absolutely! However, he's far from the only problem the bigger problem they have is that the university does not align itself with the athletic program as far as marketing goes. Additionally, the fact that the average age of an FIU undergrad is 26 years old doesn't help either. Blaming people's love for the hurricanes as to why FIU doesn't have a community support is like the NHL's Panthers blaming the Marlins Heat or Dolphins for why nobody goes to their games. It's apples and oranges! FIU's needs put a harder focus on being a basketball power like a Gonzaga and winning their conference in football every other year that way when a conference opening comes up in the larger conference they'll be ready to make the leap. Community support starts with young alumni and coaches being mayors for their own teams. You need coaches that are marketers and you need an AD that is a marketer not a fundraiser a marketer! Basketball, nobody knows who Anthony Evans is! He can't sell anything! It was evidenced by his lack of recruiting. Ron Turner?! Too old and too average to be a salesman also not from the area. Turtle just a bad baseball coach but that's the easiest fix. FIU needs to shift it's university focus to being a place people want to attend! Not being the anti UM!



I don't know where you understood from anything I wrote I solely blame PG. I did point my digital finger at YOU and everyone else not named ChiaPanther.

StevenA wrote:
Additionally, the fact that the average age of an FIU undergrad is 26 years old doesn't help either. Blaming people's love for the hurricanes as to why FIU doesn't have a community support is like the NHL's Panthers blaming the Marlins Heat or Dolphins for why nobody goes to their games.

LOL... I love it when People pull stats out of their heinie.
http://www.collegeportraits.org/FL/FIU/print
This shows the average age is 23.
Shows 40,000 full time undergrad with 25% above 25. So, that leaves 30,000 between the ages of 18-23. So 30000 + 200,000 dead beat alumni (looking at everyone but me again). Yep, we are way too old?

You don't think duhU has an influence? So all our students walking around FIU with duhU shirts and duhHats doesn't show you that duhU has a big influence. Yes duhU is a REAL Problem!! Has always been a problem and will always be a problem, specially since we have no history (particularly) in football. We've never won at anything (short of a 2nd place finish in NCAA Soccer). DuhU isn't the only reason why we don't have community support but if you are raised a duhU fan you will be a duhU fan. SO Raise your kids right!

The BULK of the problems at FIU are FIU. Having an AD that only answers to the President and not a Board? Giving an AD an contract that he doesn't deserve. I don't blame PG for his contract, I blame FIU for giving it to him. I don't blame Turtle for sucking as a HC. Blame the guy who hired him; and Really Turtle hasn't suck, he just hasnt' done any better than the guy he replaced and there lies another issue. EVERY Athletic employee at FIU doesn't do more than the guy before him. SO STATUS QUO.

You guys not going to games... status quo

Go Panthers!!

_________________
"It's called opportunity, that's what life is all about, you get an opportunity and I think these guys are anxious to have this opportunity and do something with it" - FIU Coach Ron Turner


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:06 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:46 pm
Posts: 5
Disclaimer: I'm a proud UMiami grad, winning helps but, students/alums don't take ownership of FIU. avg. undergrad age be damned. I think it's deeper than the student body being canes fans. Stewardship is big! I was a sports admin major at UM interned and volunteered at FIU. What Miami does shouldn't affect what FIU wants to be.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:08 pm   
Golden Panther
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:13 am
Posts: 635
Location: NY
Average is not a good stat. There are 2 FIUs. There have been even when I went there in the 90's.
Those that come in as freshmen or transfers that are traditional college age; go to daytime classes; and sometimes get into campus activities. They should be getting involved in a club, a fraternity, intramural sports or at least go to see a comedian or game on campus. Thats one target that needs to be approached one way. There were 4,141 incoming freshmen in 2015. That times 4.5 years to graduate gives us a rough estimate of 18,600 students in this semi traditional category that should be going to to games. Our AD has failed to motivate any of these prime targets for many reasons we all know. This why Pete should be fired if nothing else.

Then there are those non-traditional adult learners that bring the average age of FIU students up substantially. These are a tough sell as they have families and often work FT.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:49 am   
Golden Panther

Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:43 pm
Posts: 1950
The issue is pretty simple. There is not a culture present at FIU that supports athletics. The students do not go to games. If they aren't going to games as students, why would you expect them to go to games as alumni? You need to get the students hooked. I mean it's freaking free. Instead, students go to tailgate outside the football stadium and never set foot inside to watch. Meanwhile students are packing stadiums across Big Ten land when it's 40 degrees and raining. The people in charge of athletics have done an absolutely pathetic job marketing to the student body and establishing a culture that supports our teams. I don't give a crap if you don't like PG or the coaching staff or whatever, but you should be out there cheering for the student athletes who work their butts off for this university.

Until then, we can only hope for the like 4 fans out there like Chia who are brainwashing their children to be FIU fans, which I respect btw! But there's not many Chias out there.... But there's a heck of a lot of students, who could literally fill the football stadium with only half of them showing up for a game.


Top
 Profile  
 PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:19 pm   
Golden Panther

Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:52 am
Posts: 4563
Building A Dynasty wrote:
Until then, we can only hope for the like 4 fans out there like Chia who are brainwashing their children to be FIU fans, which I respect btw! But there's not many Chias out there....


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks btw, but like I also said, brain washing my child has come at a huge expense:
1. He knows nothing but failure. Plus the fact that his HS doesn't play football means FIU and Fins are all he knows.... Sad :shock: :(

But hey, he still wants to go, even if it's only for the Dazzlers. And he'll wear the free FIU t-shirts we get at games because thankfully for him FIU mostly orders mediums so he gets all the shirts from Section 112.

Except for one Section 112 Member who got a free polo, but went out of his way to beg FIU to exchange it for a 3XL. Rather then give it to the kid.

#GoPanthers.

_________________
"It's called opportunity, that's what life is all about, you get an opportunity and I think these guys are anxious to have this opportunity and do something with it" - FIU Coach Ron Turner


Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Style originally created by Volize © 2003 • Redesigned SkyLine by MartectX © 2008 - 2009