It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:11 pm

Basketball Commitments/Signings

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:31 pm   
Golden Panther

Josh Stamps, a 6-5/180 SG from Tyler Community College in TexaS, has committed to FIU. As a freshman in Tyler, Josh averaged 12.5 points per game, 3.4 rebounds and 1.2 assists per game for the NJCAA Nationals team participant and #1 nationally ranked team that finished 33-2 last season after being upset in the quarterfinals of the national tournament. He shot 38% from 3 point land last season as a freshman. He is rated 3-Stars by Verbal Commits, and had offers from UTEP and just had an official visit to both UTEP and Baylor in September, reportedly: http://www.minerrush.com/2016/9/4/12793 ... uco-guards

Stories: http://www.hoops247.com/new34/index.php ... ley-c-c-tx

Stamps was a Chicago area high school star at Curie high school previously, where he was rated as 3-Stars by Rivals and 247Sports.com. He was ranked by a recruiting website as the state of Illinois #12 overall recruit: http://www.illinoishoopscout.com/rankings

Welcome to FIU, Josh!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:46 am   
Golden Panther

Did we get all of our 2016 commits on campus? My apologies if this was already discussed in another thread.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:51 am   
Golden Panther

pikedanny wrote:
Did we get all of our 2016 commits on campus? My apologies if this was already discussed in another thread.

Nope. The freshman point guard from Texas didn't make it. However, the JUCO's are all part of the official roster now. Richard Bivens and Jay Harvey were added to the roster as well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:11 pm   
Golden Panther

More on Stamps committing to FIU:

http://verbalcommits.com/blog/stamps-to-fiu

Excerpts:

Quote:
Stamps excelled for the Curie High School Condors in Chicago. In his junior season, a dunk he had in a game against Montverde was nominated for SportsCenter's Top Ten plays. He made the 2015 Sun-Times All-City third team his senior season and was recruited by a number of schools. While his skills on the court were above par, his academics prevented him from committing to a four year institution.

Because of this, Stamps chose to enroll at a JUCO. After considering his options, the Condor became a Cardinal. He migrated south and enrolled at Trinity Valley CC in Athens, TX, who were coming off a 28-5 season.

TVCC finished with an impressive 33-2 record in '15-'16. Stamps did his part by averaging 12.5ppg on 46% shooting, with a high of 26 points, which he achieved twice. For his efforts, he received an honorable mention for the All Region XIV's North Zone team.

"Josh is a very talented guard and will do a great job at FIU," said former longtime Cardinal assistant, now head coach Guy Furr. "We are expecting big things from him this season."

Stamps was also recruited by Iowa State, Kent State, DePaul, Missouri, Pacific, Morehead State, and UTEP. The biggest factor in his decision to join the FIU Panthers was the opportunity for playing time.

"The starting two guard [Donte McGill] is graduating and they want me to fill his spot."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:49 pm   
Golden Panther

I see the 7'1" freshman center Nate Brown Bull is gone too. I know he hardly played but with his size I was hoping he'd turn into a decent center.