Yes if he wins 2 remaining regular season games 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes if he wins 1 game in CUSA Tournament 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes if he wins 2 games in CUSA Tournament 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
Yes if he wins 3 games in CUSA Tournament 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Only if he wins the CUSA Championship 27%  27%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 15
 PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:11 am   
Site Admin

No Coach, not even one as in the hot seat as Evans, will take a 1 year contract. It's career suicide. This was Evans last contract year, if he is back, he is getting at least 3 years. Thanks.

Clawing Cancer wrote:
JulesFIU07 wrote:
So Pitino...

God, no. Please. Anyone but him.

I'm really starting to wonder if Evans will stick around another season. It's hard to do a good coach search when you don't officially fire the old one.

I know PG's waited until the Final Four in the past, but you would think he'd have announced it by now so FIU can start getting applications in. Even if you know who you want, you still have to do that kind of stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:00 pm   
Site Admin

This guy just got let go, he was in the SBC finals this year and last and has done a decent job...wonder if there is anything more to this story, if not, then I'd definitely go after him....

http://www.utamavs.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/scott_cross_68766.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:02 pm   
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:36 pm   
Golden Panther

Guess UTA got sick of just being good enough to miss out on auto NCAA bids every year.

I'd happily take that problem right about now.

I agree about Evans... if he's coming back, it's not going to be a 1-year deal. That just makes no sense at all for recruiting. 2 years, at least. 3 would be more likely.

Still, though... why wait this long to say he's not coming back unless he actually is? Seems real weird to extend the wait like this otherwise.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:57 am   
Cougar

Clawing Cancer wrote:
Guess UTA got sick of just being good enough to miss out on auto NCAA bids every year.

I'd happily take that problem right about now.

I agree about Evans... if he's coming back, it's not going to be a 1-year deal. That just makes no sense at all for recruiting. 2 years, at least. 3 would be more likely.

Still, though... why wait this long to say he's not coming back unless he actually is? Seems real weird to extend the wait like this otherwise.

When Evans was first hired at Norfolk State, it was on an interim basis for 1 year. The situation was very similar to this one with the previous coach’s contract expiring and the school deciding not to renew it. The announcements for both not extending the previous coach and hiring Evans on an interim basis were made together in April back then so this situation, while not preferred, isn’t unique.

I agree that if Evans’ contract is extended it is unlikely to be for only one year but I also think that with how bad his record has been over the past five seasons (and it was awful) it is even more unlikely it gets extended for more than a year. If it does, FIU is basically announcing to the rest of it’s peers that it accepts this level of mediocre performance, which is not consistent with PG’s moves in the past.

I am purely speculating of course and could be wrong but I really believe Pete, with his history, is trying to get a big name and is trying to determine how feasible it is before deciding his next move even if hiring someone on an interim basis. If he has to hurt one recruiting class to have a chance at a good enough candidate it would be a small price to pay.