View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:06 pm   
Golden Panther

It is being reported Anthony Evans is out at FIU:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:11 pm   
Golden Panther

FIU Sports release:

http://fiusports.com/news/2018/4/2/fiu-athletics-set-to-search-for-new-head-mens-basketball-coach.aspx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:56 pm   
Golden Panther

Let the games begin:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:52 pm   
Golden Panther

Rick Pitino Mentioned For Another College Head Coaching Job
http://thespun.com/college-hoops/rick-p ... ll-opening

Which schools should take a risk and hire Rick Pitino?
http://thecomeback.com/ncaa/schools-tak ... itino.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:34 pm   
Golden Panther

About freakin' time. Really don't understand why PG waited so long. I hope Evans knew a while back he wasn't coming back. Otherwise, doesn't seem right to string him along like that. He's got a future to plan for, too. Not to mention the assistant coaches and all the other staffers.

Anyway... I'm with Tim. It wouldn't surprise me if Pitino was the guy, either, and I don't think most of the regular board readers would be surprised. It fits PG's mold. He's taken chances on damaged goods a few times already. At least here, you know Pitino can win at the college level.

I still wouldn't touch him with a 100,000 foot pole. He may not have a show cause yet, but it'll be an outright miracle if it doesn't happen. And on the off-chance it doesn't, he can likely land a way better job than FIU.

Having said that... if anyone can turn FIU hoops into something that's worth a crap, it'd be him. I really wish his son had stayed a few seasons longer and built it up before taking off to Minnesota, but I can't blame him for taking that job when it came up. He'd have been certified nuts not to.

I know FIU got burned like this in the past, but I would strongly consider getting a great head coach at the high school level and give him a chance. Assuming he can bring a better level of recruit like Shakey did, it might be the way to go. Either that or get someone with good international contacts.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:28 am   
Golden Panther

RICK!

The Floating Cardinal will be renamed the Prowling Panther.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:39 am   
Cougar

If PG really believes Pitino to be clean and not likely to be hit with a Show Cause soon then he would obviously be a huge hire. It may be worth a bit of a risk but would, of course, require President Rosenberg’s approval and I’m not sure how willing he would be to do it at this time. Maybe a year from now it would have been different once more is known on the FBI and NCAA investigations.

If not Rick, I think long time UM assistant Chris Caputo will get a strong look. There are few other coaches as good to learn from than Jim Larranaga.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:46 am   
Golden Panther

If going the assistant route, I would target Duke associate head coach Jon Scheyer. Coach K seems to love him.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:04 pm   
Site Admin

I'm telling you guys, Scott Cross from UTA would be a solid hire.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:24 pm   
Golden Panther

Id be happy with Scott Cross. He's be easier on the budget than Pitino

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:29 pm   
Site Admin

To your point, Pitino doesn't come here unless we get a megadonor to pay up for Pitino/Staff/Men's Basketball. Go F I U!

OC Panther wrote:
Id be happy with Scott Cross. He's be easier on the budget than Pitino

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:37 pm   
Golden Panther

I second the emotion on Cross. He'd be a real good pick.

Wouldn't mind Kevin Stallings, either, but I suspect he'll have better options than FIU.

Just a wild thought here... maybe get one of Frank Martin's guys? He's not gettable, obviously, but someone from his tree would be intriguing, especially if they're also familiar with Miami.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:23 pm   
Site Admin

Funny thinG. Perry Clark is his lead assistant. That would be a disaster.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:49 am   
Golden Panther

FIUPantherFan wrote:
Funny thinG. Perry Clark is his lead assistant. That would be a disaster.

His Miami teams were more or less decent by ACC standards. My main concern is he didn't do that great at Corpus Christi and that's probably more relevant to FIU than what he did at Coral Gables, especially at this stage in his career.

I'd prefer Cross and Stallings for sure... but I don't think he'd be that bad of a hire. At least he's a well-known name in the market. Recruiting would go up a notch or two. And, I hate to say it, but his Miami ties would probably go a long way with the current FIU administration. We have a thing for former UCG'ers.

I could actually see this happen, assuming FIU actually steps up with the money and commitment to men's hoops. Which I kind of doubt, but you never know. Maybe a donor steps up. Clark probably won't get too many more chances to be the head guy, so maybe he'd think about it.

There is another coach on Martin's staff who might be a possibility, I'd say. His name is Chuck Martin (no relation, I think). He's a long-time assistant coach under a few big-name guys and at a few P5 programs, notably Calipari when he was at Memphis.

The big black mark on him is that he was the head coach at Marist for 5 seasons and was dreadful. Never had more than 14 wins in a season. He had one year where the Red Foxes finished 1-29. Not even Donnie f'n Marsh was that bad.

But, to be fair, that was 5 years back. $$$$ near no one wins at Marist and he'd probably have more resources at FIU... plus he's from Puerto Rico, which would probably help with recruiting on the island and FIU's gotten some decent guys from there in the past.

Anyway... here's hoping it's Cross.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:44 pm   
Golden Panther

We need a great recruiter. Just glad Evans is gone.