It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:32 am

Anthony Evans no longer coach at FIU

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:39 pm   
Site Admin

Not going to happen kids....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:33 am   
Juvenile Panther

FIUPantherFan wrote:
Not going to happen kids....

Not surprising and it was a major long shot anyhow. I’m really curious to see who Pete is looking at bringing in.

I hope he has enough sense to stay away from Seth Greenberg who, while he is well known and the type of candidate I could see Pete going after, hasn’t been all that successful in his past coaching stops. He has been looking at getting back into coaching (recently going after the ECU job). An ambitious young assistant coach would be a much better choice IMO but not typically who Pete goes for.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:35 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Bring in former player and former asst at Stanford and current NBA Scout Charles Payne

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:35 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Clawing Cancer wrote:
FIUPantherFan wrote:
Funny thinG. Perry Clark is his lead assistant. That would be a disaster.

His Miami teams were more or less decent by ACC standards. My main concern is he didn't do that great at Corpus Christi and that's probably more relevant to FIU than what he did at Coral Gables, especially at this stage in his career.

I'd prefer Cross and Stallings for sure... but I don't think he'd be that bad of a hire. At least he's a well-known name in the market. Recruiting would go up a notch or two. And, I hate to say it, but his Miami ties would probably go a long way with the current FIU administration. We have a thing for former UCG'ers.

I could actually see this happen, assuming FIU actually steps up with the money and commitment to men's hoops. Which I kind of doubt, but you never know. Maybe a donor steps up. Clark probably won't get too many more chances to be the head guy, so maybe he'd think about it.

There is another coach on Martin's staff who might be a possibility, I'd say. His name is Chuck Martin (no relation, I think). He's a long-time assistant coach under a few big-name guys and at a few P5 programs, notably Calipari when he was at Memphis.

The big black mark on him is that he was the head coach at Marist for 5 seasons and was dreadful. Never had more than 14 wins in a season. He had one year where the Red Foxes finished 1-29. Not even Donnie f'n Marsh was that bad.

But, to be fair, that was 5 years back. $$$$ near no one wins at Marist and he'd probably have more resources at FIU... plus he's from Puerto Rico, which would probably help with recruiting on the island and FIU's gotten some decent guys from there in the past.

Anyway... here's hoping it's Cross.

Well, it looks like a former Frank Martin assistant Matt Figger is the lead candidate right now. From what I've read of him, I think he would be an exceptional hire. He was the lead assistant and recruiter for Martin at both K-state and USC (including for their recent Final Four run) before getting hired as head coach at Austin Peay this past season. In one year he did a great job turning them around defensively and getting them their first winning season in years. He was also just named OVC coach of the year and has a reputation as a great fundamentals coach and recruiter. Frank Martin thinks very highly of him too so is probably the one pushing for this to happen for his alma mater. Would be surprising too since Figger is a Kentucky native so leaving A-P in his home state for another mid-major would be unusual. Make it happen Pete!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:09 pm   
Golden Panther

EngUMPanther wrote:
Well, it looks like a former Frank Martin assistant Matt Figger is the lead candidate right now. From what I've read of him, I think he would be an exceptional hire. He was the lead assistant and recruiter for Martin at both K-state and USC (including for their recent Final Four run) before getting hired as head coach at Austin Peay this past season. In one year he did a great job turning them around defensively and getting them their first winning season in years. He was also just named OVC coach of the year and has a reputation as a great fundamentals coach and recruiter. Frank Martin thinks very highly of him too so is probably the one pushing for this to happen for his alma mater. Would be surprising too since Figger is a Kentucky native so leaving A-P in his home state for another mid-major would be unusual. Make it happen Pete!

If you have a link, I'd love to see it.

Interestingly enough, Sergio Rouco is an assistant on Figger's staff at APSU.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:25 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Clawing Cancer wrote:
EngUMPanther wrote:

If you have a link, I'd love to see it.

Interestingly enough, Sergio Rouco is an assistant on Figger's staff at APSU.

One of the tweets linked on the home page of this site mentioned it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:24 am   
Golden Panther

So, when do we have a coach?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:03 am   
Golden Panther

Rick Pitino was in town... at last night's Miami Heat game...

*** WILD SPECULATION ***

Just kidding... I know better.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:58 am   
Golden Panther

FIU Beisbol wrote:
Rick Pitino was in town... at last night's Miami Heat game...

*** WILD SPECULATION ***

Just kidding... I know better.

Seriously though, anyone hearing anything about who our next coach will be?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:48 pm   
Juvenile Panther

In addition to Austin Peay head Coach Matt Figger, I have also read that potential candidates could be Donte' Jackson (Head Coach at Grambling State) and Stan Jones (Associate Head Coach at FSU).

According to Hoop Dirt on 04/12/2018:

On campus interviews at Florida International are underway with at least one candidate on campus today. I have heard that they will be wrapped up by then end of the week, with an announcement coming shortly after that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:45 pm   
Juvenile Panther

fiu1994 wrote:
In addition to Austin Peay head Coach Matt Figger, I have also read that potential candidates could be Donte' Jackson (Head Coach at Grambling State) and Stan Jones (Associate Head Coach at FSU).

According to Hoop Dirt on 04/12/2018:

On campus interviews at Florida International are underway with at least one candidate on campus today. I have heard that they will be wrapped up by then end of the week, with an announcement coming shortly after that.

The problem with Figger and Jackson is that both have just completed their first years at D1 programs so I’d expect both would have significant buyouts for FIU’s budget. This is what puzzles me with who FIU seems to be going after. Figger seems like such a great candidate but the time to have hired him was last year when he was still an assistant coming off USC’s Final Four run. Instead Pete keeps Evans for the final year of his contract after four awful seasons seemingly to avoid buying out his last year but tries to go after current head coaches.

Anyway, I’m a bit surprised that there is no mention of Pete going after Larry Brown or Seth Greenberg. Both are trying to get back into college basketball coaching and would have been more the types of names I would have expected to hear about.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:47 am   
Golden Panther

EngUMPanther wrote:
This is what puzzles me with who FIU seems to be going after. Figger seems like such a great candidate but the time to have hired him was last year when he was still an assistant coming off USC’s Final Four run. Instead Pete keeps Evans for the final year of his contract after four awful seasons seemingly to avoid buying out his last year but tries to go after current head coaches.

Anyway, I’m a bit surprised that there is no mention of Pete going after Larry Brown or Seth Greenberg. Both are trying to get back into college basketball coaching and would have been more the types of names I would have expected to hear about.

Honestly, this is very fiscally responsible. We knew money was tied to Football as we are already buying out Turner.

We are not Tennessee.

Figger is in year two of a 5 yr $1.35 million contract. That's $270,000 avg.

Evans salary was approximately $225,000/yr.

Cross your fingers, we may be looking at our first 350k coach.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:48 am   
Juvenile Panther

chiaPanther wrote:
EngUMPanther wrote:
This is what puzzles me with who FIU seems to be going after. Figger seems like such a great candidate but the time to have hired him was last year when he was still an assistant coming off USC’s Final Four run. Instead Pete keeps Evans for the final year of his contract after four awful seasons seemingly to avoid buying out his last year but tries to go after current head coaches.

Honestly, this is very fiscally responsible. We knew money was tied to Football as we are already buying out Turner.

We are not Tennessee.

Figger is in year two of a 5 yr $1.35 million contract. That's $270,000 avg.

Evans salary was approximately $225,000/yr.

Cross your fingers, we may be looking at our first 350k coach.

Good point. I had forgotten about Ron Turner’s buyout still being on the books. Do you know what it would take to buy out Figger’s contract with APSU? I’m sure it’s pretty steep.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:58 am   
Golden Panther

I tried looking for it, but only found annual average not buyout info.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:30 pm   
Golden Panther

Sources are reporting that Pitino may or may not be our next men's basketball head coach.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next