It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:07 am

FIU Baseball so far...

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:46 am   
Golden Panther

So far FIU baseball is 8-7 in conference and 21-15 overall. Not to bad. I really did expect better, but I will take it. We've had some tough competition. Need to keep winning and beat the teams below us. We really can beat just about anyone right now when we are on our game.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:24 am   
Golden Panther

Big test tonight against #29 FGCU. The game is streaming on ASUN.tv (FREE). http://eversport.tv/asun/baseball/2017/4/18/fiu-at-fgcu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:44 pm   
Site Admin

I think we are doing better than I expected. I thought we would be .500 overall and sub .500 in conference. Relying on 2 freshmen as weekend starters and Mourelle, who has been terrible this year, is not going to get it done. I think the Coaching staff has done a good job and if we can get 50% of the recruits to come in we are going to be in good shape next year, though VERY young.

FIU Beisbol wrote:
So far FIU baseball is 8-7 in conference and 21-15 overall. Not to bad. I really did expect better, but I will take it. We've had some tough competition. Need to keep winning and beat the teams below us. We really can beat just about anyone right now when we are on our game.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:10 am   
Golden Panther

Big win last night vs FGCU. FIU is now 22-15 on the season.

FIU wasted no time getting re-acquainted with Florida Gulf Coast pitching after a four-year hiatus in the intrastate series. The Panthers pounded 14 hits, including three home runs en route to a 12-5 win over the Eagles Tuesday night.

FIU and FGCU wrap up the two-game series Wednesday at the FIU ballpark. First pitch for the series finale has been moved up to 6 p.m. The game can be seen on PantherVision and C-USA TV.

Let's show up in person and support the team!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:52 pm   
Golden Panther

Big win indeed. Let's get the win tonight and sweep this important state rivalry series. This could help set the base for an improved team down the stretch of this season, and for next year and beyond.

Go Panthers!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:11 pm   
Puma

Agreed on all points. Great game last night. Need a win tonight and keep the momentum going for our weekend series at Marshall.

Let's go Panthers!

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:25 pm   
Golden Panther

I drove over last night for the game. Lots of FIU fans there, although mostly parents of players, but it still counts. Was a good win over a quality team. FGCU has beaten FSU, UF, Miami (winning the season series), and FAU this season. FSU was ranked no. 1 when FGCU beat them. Wins like this will hopefully get our RPI going in the right direction.
FIU was smacking the cover off the ball last night. Besides the three homeruns, there were at least 5 warning track outs. My friend who went with me commented that the big difference he saw in FIU was their patience at the plate. FGCU hitters were up there swinging away, like a Turtle Thomas team. FIU was working counts and getting the pitches they wanted. Being my first game of the season, this team looks worlds different than Turtle's teams.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:59 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Swept!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:12 am   
Puma

I was out there last night as well. The offense looked really good and the defense made some nice plays (other than Files booting that chopper at the end). Mourelle looked impressive like his freshman and sophomore seasons. I'm wondering if Merv pushed Mourelle up from the weekend so that he can pitch the Mex-ecutioner and Mourelle back to back next week against Coral Gables, or if he thought Mourelle was struggling so much that he lost his weekend rotation spot.

Hope the team can win this weekend series vs Marshall and keep the momentum going.

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:21 am   
Golden Panther

Keep the momentum going!!!

Win!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:55 am   
Site Admin

I don't think you can pitch Mourelle on Sunday now, however, I think you can pitch Robert Garcia on Sunday, but you are right, we are at it again with um next week so my plan would not work. Garcia and Mourelle against um is a good idea. You just leave yourself short on a Sunday pitcher. Time for someone in the bullpen to step up (Lobrutto or Demchack, whoever hasn't been used). Tough on the pitching staff with 5 games in a week back to back.

yandro wrote:
I was out there last night as well. The offense looked really good and the defense made some nice plays (other than Files booting that chopper at the end). Mourelle looked impressive like his freshman and sophomore seasons. I'm wondering if Merv pushed Mourelle up from the weekend so that he can pitch the Mex-ecutioner and Mourelle back to back next week against Coral Gables, or if he thought Mourelle was struggling so much that he lost his weekend rotation spot.

Hope the team can win this weekend series vs Marshall and keep the momentum going.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:28 pm   
Site Admin

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:20 pm   
Golden Panther

I think the plan is to move Myrick into the starting rotation. I heard that somewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:47 am   
Golden Panther

Tuesday, 4/25 should be lots of Fun!!!

Go Panthers! Chance to win the series!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:52 pm   
Site Admin

McDonald on Friday
Myrick on Saturday
????? on Sunday

HooterHater wrote:
I think the plan is to move Myrick into the starting rotation. I heard that somewhere.