It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:31 am

Is Turtle Done?

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:43 pm   
Golden Panther

personally off the list above....would love to see Mark Calvi...he would be a great hire for our school. Former coach here who knows the area, is a proven coach in the Sun Belt at South Al

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:03 pm   
Site Admin

I feel he has under achieved at So. Alabama. They have top notch facilities and I don't think they are thrilled with him. That's why I like Melendez and Lovelady, they have both overachieved in the places they have been, which they are going to have to do in order to be successful at FIU.

Roman wrote:
personally off the list above....would love to see Mark Calvi...he would be a great hire for our school. Former coach here who knows the area, is a proven coach in the Sun Belt at South Al

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:10 pm   
Site Admin

Add another name, Greg Brown who is the HC at Nova Southeastern University, the Sharks are coming off the DII national championship.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:59 pm   
Golden Panther

FIUPantherFan wrote:
Add another name, Greg Brown who is the HC at Nova Southeastern University, the Sharks are coming off the DII national championship.

the though did cross my mind as well, he has proven to be able to win. Is a local name, has ties to the community. A lot of guys that leave FIU and UM go to Nova and Barry so it's not a bad hire. Turtle wasn't a bad hire but lacked HC experience, Greg comes with HC experience.

http://www.nsusharks.com/coaches.aspx?r ... h=baseball

Quote:
Off The Field
While Brown has accomplished a great deal on the field at NSU, his vision is bigger than wins and losses. Brown’s off of the field efforts are a testament to his core values of building a community and developing his players into the young men that are going to make a difference in the world through the values instilled in them during their time at NSU. The NSU baseball program has committed itself to building relationships within the community through volunteer events such as the Miracle League, Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital Toy Drive, youth and coaching clinics to local optimist, canned food drives, Make-A-Wish, Career Day at local schools and players reading to children at the NSU Library.

Brown has committed to continuing to build the relationship between the baseball program and its alumni with the annual NSU Baseball Alumni Golf Tournament, now entering its fourth year of existence, as well as launching the NSU Baseball Alumni Newsletter. In the past five years, Brown has worked with the Pacific Institute and developed the Shark Leadership Academy within the team, giving opportunities to players to further develop their leadership skills. Brown has always encouraged his student-athletes to be involved, and there is no bigger example than 2015 graduate Roberto “Bubba” Baroniel, who was part of Brown’s second recruiting class. Bubba grew to become student-athlete representative of NSU Athletics, the Sunshine State Conference and NCAA Division II through his work with the Student Athlete Advisory Committee. Bubba was named the NSU and SSC SAAC President and as a junior and the chairman of the NCAA Division II SAAC Board his senior year. Baroniel continues to serve as the SSC SAAC President and the chairman of the NCAA Division II SAAC Board today.

Quote:
Sharks in the Pros
As mentioned, 13 players have signed professional contracts in the last six years under Brown. Those players are Sean Albury (Milwaukee Brewers – 31st Round), Nick Avila (Detroit Tigers – 37th Round), Andrew Durden (Kansas City Royals – 37th Round), Brett Clements (Houston Astros – Free Agent), Carlos Asuaje (Boston Red Sox – 11th Round), Justin Garcia (Houston Astros – 17th Round), Alexander Fernandez (Miami Marlins – 25th Round), Ryan Castellanos (Detroit Tigers – 25th Round), Areo Regoli (Joliet Slammera), Zachary Westcott (Lincoln Saltdogs), Roberto Baroniel (Normal Cornbelters), Roche Woodard (Roswell Invaders), Danny Zardon (Philadelphia Phillies), Alex Mateo (Miami Marlins), Alex Kline (Philadelphia Phillies) and Devin Raftery (Houston Astros).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:13 pm   
Site Admin

Interesting News....

Quote:
In an effort to continue competing at the highest level and propel the baseball team to greater heights, FIU Athletics seeks to improve the FIU Baseball Stadium with a multi-million dollar renovation project. With funds still being raised, the FIU Stadium project will help improve recruiting, enhance the well-being of the student-athletes and improve the overall fan experience.

"We want our programs to continue to grow," FIU Executive Director of Sports and Entertainment Pete Garcia said. "In order to do that, we need to enhance the facilities and give our student-athletes the tools they need to be their very best. Baseball has a rich tradition here at FIU and we need to make an investment in its future."

Improvements to the FIU Baseball Stadium will include a state-of-the-art locker room and lounge area, indoor batting cage and bullpen area, private suites and an open-air canopy to provide shade for stadium patrons.

http://www.fiusports.com/news/2016/6/22/fiu-athletics-launches-baseball-stadium-project.aspx?path=baseball

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:32 pm   
Golden Panther

FIUPantherFan wrote:
Interesting News....

Quote:
In an effort to continue competing at the highest level and propel the baseball team to greater heights, FIU Athletics seeks to improve the FIU Baseball Stadium with a multi-million dollar renovation project. With funds still being raised, the FIU Stadium project will help improve recruiting, enhance the well-being of the student-athletes and improve the overall fan experience.

"We want our programs to continue to grow," FIU Executive Director of Sports and Entertainment Pete Garcia said. "In order to do that, we need to enhance the facilities and give our student-athletes the tools they need to be their very best. Baseball has a rich tradition here at FIU and we need to make an investment in its future."

Improvements to the FIU Baseball Stadium will include a state-of-the-art locker room and lounge area, indoor batting cage and bullpen area, private suites and an open-air canopy to provide shade for stadium patrons.

http://www.fiusports.com/news/2016/6/22/fiu-athletics-launches-baseball-stadium-project.aspx?path=baseball

The suites are a pretty good idea. I like the ones at field level a lot. That's a pretty ingenious idea.

I always thought putting the coaches' offices on the 3rd floor was a terrible idea because those would make ideal suite locations. I don't know why they don't just do that and move the coaches' offices somewhere else. There's got to be somewhere else you can put them that makes more sense. Stetson coaches have their offices right next to the locker rooms under the first base stands.

Making 1 or 2 of those coaches' offices a radio-TV booth wouldn't be a bad idea, either. Or maybe build out the press box a bit more to accommodate that.

I like the canopy. That's pretty sweet. Personally, though... I'd canopy or put a roof over the entire grandstands (or as much as you can), not just one part of it. Especially with how many day games there are. That would certainly help the fan experience out.

As for Turtle... 4 non-winning seasons in 9 years? Sorry, but that's not any better than Price. I don't care how many regionals he showed up in or how many conference titles he won. And, frankly, his teams wouldn't have been in at least 2 of those regionals had they not gotten hot at the end of the year.

He definitely deserved to go. Resigned, fired... whatever. He may have been a good recruiter on paper but he couldn't get the best ones to come to FIU and that's the most important part.

I won't even go into the on-field stuff. That's been covered.

As for the choices named so far... I'd say Melendez is the most likely. Did pretty good at BCU before going to Alabama State. If you can win at those places, you can probably win at FIU. And he knows Florida well. Probably knows South Florida well enough to at least not be totally behind the 8-ball out of the gate.

Lovelady's interesting but I don't see PG - if he's still around to make the call - going for another UM guy. Turtle was and that didn't work out too well. If he does, it's probably Arteaga because that will screw with Jim Morris while also making a somewhat visible impression with recruits.

Calvi? Not a chance. He's a former Danny Price assistant. I don't see any way in hell Calvi even takes the phone call, much less considers it. Even if he did, why would PG hire a guy from the Price tree? Especially considering how Price left? For that, you might as well re-hire Price back from MDC. I don't care how well the guy's doing at South Alabama. Not. Happening.

Brown's an interesting dark horse type but I don't know if getting a guy from that level makes a lot of sense. FIU isn't that bad a job. Lots of good coaches will want it, assuming PG doesn't scare them off.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:44 pm   
Site Admin

Good News!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:38 am   
Site Admin

It's Melendez. I think that's great news myself. We shall see. Welcome to FIU coach.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:02 am   
Golden Panther

I think Meléndez would be a very good hire! He has a track record at schools with many things working against them, historically speaking. Hopefully he comes in and starts winning right away.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:22 am   
Puma

I like the hire as well. He's done a great job over at Alabama State.

It looks like coach Melendez's son is a senior this coming school year. He had already committed to Alabama State, according to Perfect Game, which rated him a 10 on their scale. I can only imagine he will now change his commitment to FIU.

http://www.perfectgame.org/players/play ... ?ID=348801

Welcome to FIU, Coach Melendez!

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:02 am   
Golden Panther

Love it.