PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:08 pm   
Golden Panther

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:41 pm   
Golden Panther

FIU4ever wrote:

He is No. 14 on Perfectgame Rankings

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:54 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Hope he hires one local assistant. Love the hire!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:08 pm   
Puma

So excited we are potentially getting two great players for 2018!

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:25 pm   
Golden Panther

chiaPanther wrote:
FIU4ever wrote:

He is No. 14 on Perfectgame Rankings

Pretty freaking impressive! NEVER has FIU has had not even 1 preseason 1st Team All American Player, but 2 pre season national 1st Team All American commit....and the very same day!!! Wow! Whoever doesn't get excited about FIU Baseball today just isn't a fan. Perhaps, this could become one of the best days of FIU Baseball in over a decade, if you ask me.

Wow.....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:46 pm   
Golden Panther

Seems like an awesome hire. Welcome to FIU coach Melendez. Also.... PG did something good??? What?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:38 pm   
Site Admin

Quote:
Mervyl Melendez and Mark Calvi did more than just face each other in this year's Tallahassee Regional.

Before leading South Alabama to a 6-3 elimination win June 4 over Alabama State, Calvi had a conversation with Melendez that further peaked Melendez's interest in the idea of coaching at Florida International.

"We talked probably 45 minutes prior to the game," said Melendez about Calvi, a former FIU assistant for 11 seasons. "We're very, very close. Very good friends and I talked about this job with him knowing that he had been here. One thing he had said to me was, 'Mervyl, I think that you would do a great job there if the opportunity presents itself."

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/rankinfile/2016/06/28/former-asu-coach-mervyl-melendez-plans-dedicate-life-fiu-baseball/86485448/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:46 pm   
Site Admin

Quote:
After leading Alabama State to its first SWAC title and first trip to the NCAA Tournament, Melendez has taken a head coaching position at Florida International to take over a program that finished .500 this past season.

"It is indeed a pleasure," Melendez said after being officially named FIU's new head coach as it was streamed live via YoutTube from FIU in Miami. "I'm humbled to have this great opportunity to lead FIU baseball program to where it needs to be nationally."

Wearing a suit, tie and big smile at the news conference, the Carolina, Puerto Rico native said he "will dedicate my life" to FIU baseball.

"This journey started for me many years ago," Melendez said. "Twenty years ago, I became a baseball coach thinking that one day I'd be here. You start with the idea that you not only want to be successful, but you want to get to a place that you can call home. This is one of the few jobs that I looked at as one day could be mine. One day I could be there. One day I can call FIU home and this day has arrived."

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/rankinfile/2016/06/27/mervyl-melendez-leaving-alabama-state-baseball-for-florida-international/86455192/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:56 am   
Golden Panther

FIUPantherFan wrote:
Quote:
After leading Alabama State to its first SWAC title and first trip to the NCAA Tournament, Melendez has taken a head coaching position at Florida International to take over a program that finished .500 this past season.

"It is indeed a pleasure," Melendez said after being officially named FIU's new head coach as it was streamed live via YoutTube from FIU in Miami. "I'm humbled to have this great opportunity to lead FIU baseball program to where it needs to be nationally."

Wearing a suit, tie and big smile at the news conference, the Carolina, Puerto Rico native said he "will dedicate my life" to FIU baseball.

"This journey started for me many years ago," Melendez said. "Twenty years ago, I became a baseball coach thinking that one day I'd be here. You start with the idea that you not only want to be successful, but you want to get to a place that you can call home. This is one of the few jobs that I looked at as one day could be mine. One day I could be there. One day I can call FIU home and this day has arrived."

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/rankinfile/2016/06/27/mervyl-melendez-leaving-alabama-state-baseball-for-florida-international/86455192/

Interesting piece. If Calvi feels that strongly about Melendez, then I feel even better about this hire. He would know a lot better than any of us if MM's got the goods.

Also find it interesting that Calvi says he never interviewed for the job. Not surprised, but interesting that he even mentioned it. I suppose he was asked directly about it because I can't imagine he'd have said that on his own.

In any case... it confirmed my suspicions that he pretty much had no chance. Not with PG around, anyway. Zero chance he'd hire anyone remotely connected to Price.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:38 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Any word on assistant coaches?