It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:38 am

Melendez racking up All American commitments

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:24 pm   
Golden Panther

I think (and we've had discussions about this for years) we agree on the great majority of the basic points: 1. what matters is who comes in; 2. it's not an exact science; 3. development of players is crucial; 4. Melendez "seems" to have a track record in making things happen with the players he gets: 5. Perfect Game and Kendall Rogers are perhaps the most reliable source of recruiting information around; 6. they know more about college baseball recruiting and high school player ratings than we know; and 7. this is all a matter of conjecture and subjective analysis.

I understand your position in stating how unimportant it is for you to garner commitments and recruit kids that are considered by most people (in this case Perfect Game) as very talented and/or developed early in their careers, and here lies a difference of opinion we have. I'll say a coach that can consistently attract players to actually play that are more talented than others and presumably suited for their style of play (if not they wouldn't have been recruited in the first place, most likely), is a difference to be noted and, though only in paper (at this moment) it is something to feel hopeful and excited about. Heck, even David J. Neal thinks so! LOL.
Quote:
#FIU baseball killing it in recruiting...

Bottom line is this is for information and entertainment, which I enjoy looking at (what I believe is) this very important part of the game.

BTW, Coach Melendez (and his staff) just secured another Perfect Game All American, but for the Class of 2018 in Angel Tiburcio. That will be another topic.

Go Panthers!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:27 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Need to hire a local assistant! It's baseball!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:53 pm   
Golden Panther

Three more commitments to report on the Class of 2017. Justin Ricard is a 6-3/165 RHP from Flanagan HS in Pembroke Pines, FL. He reportedly has a 4.5 GPA and a sidearm pitcher. He is the first FIU commitment of this class currently not rated as a PG All American. We also had a commitment from another Flanagan HS player in SS Justin Connell. Connell is rated by Perfect Game as a High Honorable Mention All American.

Finally, Wilberto Rivera, a 6-3/205 RHP from Naranjito, Puerto Rico, committed to FIU. Wilberto, who plays for Carlos Beltran Baseball Academy, is considered the top pitcher in Puerto Rico and the overall #2 player ranked in the island. His fastball is consistently clocked at 94 MPH and has reportedly reached 96-97 MPH at times as a junior in high school. He is FIU's 5th 1st Team All American from Perfect Game in this 2017 Class, and most likely the 6th "Top 100" player in their list. With his commitment, FIU's coach Melendez and staff have secured the overall #2, #3 and #4 players in the island of Puerto Rico...besides getting the #7 and #13 ranked high school seniors in PR as well: http://buzzerbeaterpr.com/definen-los-m ... -del-2017/

Go Panthers!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:59 pm   
Golden Panther

With the obvious limitations of college baseball recruiting, it's pertinent to state that after the last rash of commitments, particularly that of pitcher Wilberto Rivera of Puerto Rico, FIU is now ranked #5 nationally by PerfectGame.com for the Class of 2017 rankings. FIU now has 6 Top 100 recruits, which is tied for 2nd overall in the nation with LSU, Miami, and USC. Interesting to see FIU listed as the only "non-power" conference team among the Top 25 listed. Not bad at all. http://www.perfectgame.org/Rankings/Rec ... kings.aspx

Go Panthers!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:50 am   
Golden Panther

Not bad?

Coño Fanatic, never have we been ranked this high. Turtle who was known as a great recruiter hit the top25 too but never this high.

Yes, some of these guys will go pro, that always happens. But still, this is elite stuff.

FIU Fanatic wrote:
With the obvious limitations of college baseball recruiting, it's pertinent to state that after the last rash of commitments, particularly that of pitcher Wilberto Rivera of Puerto Rico, FIU is now ranked #5 nationally by PerfectGame.com for the Class of 2017 rankings. FIU now has 6 Top 100 recruits, which is tied for 2nd overall in the nation with LSU, Miami, and USC. Interesting to see FIU listed as the only "non-power" conference team among the Top 25 listed. Not bad at all. http://www.perfectgame.org/Rankings/Rec ... kings.aspx

Go Panthers!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:42 pm   
Golden Panther

chiaPanther wrote:
Not bad?

Coño Fanatic, never have we been ranked this high. Turtle who was known as a great recruiter hit the top25 too but never this high.

Yes, some of these guys will go pro, that always happens. But still, this is elite stuff.

FIU Fanatic wrote:

Go Panthers!

I agree 100% chia with your assessment! It IS Elite! Just a way of playing with the facts while understating a bit the job he's done recruiting, even if the majority of them won't be donning the Panthers jersey. We have 6 Top 100 rated players in this class by itself. When you add all of Turtle's recruiting classes I think he had 3 or 4 (maybe) in all those years. I mean, I've never ever seen any team that recruits in Puerto Rico..... and believe me every major school does..... to get the #2, #3, and #4 rated players in all of the island to commit/sign with a particular school during the same year. The fact those kids will most likely never play for us is irrelevant to the point that those were the kids than inked with Miami, FSU, Florida, LSU, Texas or just didn't care to go/commit to a college in the US NCAA system....etc. If we got one we were happy. We have 4 of the top 7 kids from Puerto Rico this year. UM has had a high presence here in the island, you better believe that, and Coach Melendez has come here and absolutely kicked their asses (and everyone else's) recruiting-wise. Never has any of those schools done that here in Puerto Rico in one year, to my best recollection.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:27 pm   
Golden Panther

FIU Fanatic wrote:

Go Panthers!

only thing we got to remember is that how many of these top 100 players actually step foot on campus. You can recruit, but you have to wait out the draft and hope they don't go in the top 3 rounds and usually top 100 will go in the top 3 rounds; really hard to turn down that type of money.

Here is hoping for the best of course, but a little scary.

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:49 pm   
Golden Panther

Roman wrote:
FIU Fanatic wrote:

Go Panthers!

only thing we got to remember is that how many of these top 100 players actually step foot on campus. You can recruit, but you have to wait out the draft and hope they don't go in the top 3 rounds and usually top 100 will go in the top 3 rounds; really hard to turn down that type of money.

You are right, Roman, and believe me, I fully understand that. I've mentioned all of that already several times on this thread. As I've stated on this thread, I don't expect any of those Top 100 guys to ever play for FIU. If any one does, it's a major coup. It's the other explanations about this that I care about. It's the fact FIU is outrecruiting all these major universities for that type of talent we never used to get. Of course, as I've pointed out earlier, they won't play, but some in the next level of recruits that seldom used to sign/play for FIU might be/is thinking "hey, if #7 player in the country signs with FIU, why not me"? A kid rated one of the top 30 in Puerto Rico that sees that the #2,#3 and #4 from the island signed with FIU, will not hesitate to sign with FIU over say....Louisville. Those ones will not only sign, but then play for FIU. There's the gain, plus the fact that all these "experts" keep talking up FIU in national circles, which again, may help recruit those kids that are smart academically, and very, very good on the field.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:05 am   
Golden Panther

FIU Fanatic wrote:
Roman wrote:
FIU Fanatic wrote:

Go Panthers!

You are right, Roman, and believe me, I fully understand that. I've mentioned all of that already several times on this thread. As I've stated on this thread, I don't expect any of those Top 100 guys to ever play for FIU. If any one does, it's a major coup. It's the other explanations about this that I care about. It's the fact FIU is outrecruiting all these major universities for that type of talent we never used to get. Of course, as I've pointed out earlier, they won't play, but some in the next level of recruits that seldom used to sign/play for FIU might be/is thinking "hey, if #7 player in the country signs with FIU, why not me"? A kid rated one of the top 30 in Puerto Rico that sees that the #2,#3 and #4 from the island signed with FIU, will not hesitate to sign with FIU over say....Louisville. Those ones will not only sign, but then play for FIU. There's the gain, plus the fact that all these "experts" keep talking up FIU in national circles, which again, may help recruit those kids that are smart academically, and very, very good on the field.

concur fully with your assessment!!!

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:15 am   
Golden Panther

Roman wrote:
FIU Fanatic wrote:

I don't see how you can say we're getting the talent or outrecruiting other schools if those players don't come to FIU. That's the point of recruiting, right? If you're not getting those players to wear the blue and gold, then what's the point? To score brownie points with "experts"? How does that help you win games? I don't see it. Sounds to me like it's more a waste of valuable time than anything else. Why spend your time trying to recruit a kid who's likely to play pro ball anyway when you can go for someone who's more likely to play for you?

Truthfully, that was always one of my biggest pet peeves with Turtle. So he "landed" big talent. Big whoop. He didn't do any better than Price on the field and he certainly should have considering how well-regarded he is as a recruiter.

I do see your point about the next tier of players being influenced... that's a perfectly legitimate argument. But I'm not at all sure it makes that much of a difference. They know as well as the rest of us do that the top-level guys are likely going pro anyway. Maybe some of them would be more willing to consider FIU in that case, but I doubt they'd sign for that reason. You'd still have to sell them on the program. I would think, at best, all it does is get your foot in the door with these kids. Which is no small thing, admittedly, but that's not a guarantee of anything.

Nothing against what MM is doing, for the record... he's obviously a successful baseball coach... if he thinks it's worth his time to go for these kinds of kids, who am I to say he's wrong? Having said that, I'm not going to judge him by how many Top 10 players he gets. I'm going to judge him by wins and losses no matter who he gets. I'll trust him to get who he thinks he has to in order to win... but it's on him if it doesn't work. Just like it was on Turtle and Price.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:44 am   
Puma

Clawing Cancer wrote:
Roman wrote:
FIU Fanatic wrote:

I don't see how you can say we're getting the talent or outrecruiting other schools if those players don't come to FIU. That's the point of recruiting, right? If you're not getting those players to wear the blue and gold, then what's the point? To score brownie points with "experts"? How does that help you win games? I don't see it. Sounds to me like it's more a waste of valuable time than anything else. Why spend your time trying to recruit a kid who's likely to play pro ball anyway when you can go for someone who's more likely to play for you?

Truthfully, that was always one of my biggest pet peeves with Turtle. So he "landed" big talent. Big whoop. He didn't do any better than Price on the field and he certainly should have considering how well-regarded he is as a recruiter.

I do see your point about the next tier of players being influenced... that's a perfectly legitimate argument. But I'm not at all sure it makes that much of a difference. They know as well as the rest of us do that the top-level guys are likely going pro anyway. Maybe some of them would be more willing to consider FIU in that case, but I doubt they'd sign for that reason. You'd still have to sell them on the program. I would think, at best, all it does is get your foot in the door with these kids. Which is no small thing, admittedly, but that's not a guarantee of anything.

Nothing against what MM is doing, for the record... he's obviously a successful baseball coach... if he thinks it's worth his time to go for these kinds of kids, who am I to say he's wrong? Having said that, I'm not going to judge him by how many Top 10 players he gets. I'm going to judge him by wins and losses no matter who he gets. I'll trust him to get who he thinks he has to in order to win... but it's on him if it doesn't work. Just like it was on Turtle and Price.

CC, I agree with your point and thats what i said at first. But, Fanatic has a solid argument. TT would get a couple top tier guys to commit but never play but what separated us from the other teams were i believe the skill levels of the third and forth tier players coupled with the coaching. for instance if non of the top 100 sign, powerhouse teams or even other teams in our league may get players ranked 101-150, we were getting 200-300 if you see what im saying. so if recruiting hard at these top 100 is only to get a greater number of solid 101-150 player on campus all the better in my opinon.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:39 am   
Juvenile Panther

The problem with what I am seeing with the commitments so far is that they seem to be either from the very high top 100 commitments unlikely to ever play at FIU or relatively low ranked players. I don't see as many in the PG AA high honorable mention or honorable mention range like I do for some of the other programs with current top ranked recruiting classes. Hopefully the low ranked commitments are under the radar or not fully evaluated yet by PG but I have faith that Melendez knows what he is doing. One thing for sure is that we are getting a ton of commitments in a short period of time so FIU seems to be the IN destination for baseball players from the state right now.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:15 pm   
Juvenile Panther

FIU alumnus and new member here, I figured this would be a good thread to make my first post.

Obviously its tough knowing many, if not all, of those top 100 prospects will not don an FIU uniform but the way I see it is this: if our recruiting can be visualized as a sort of bell curve, with the top prospects on the far-end of the curve, then the prospects in the middle of the curve (who would likely play for us) will be much more talented than they would have been if the far-end did not consist of that talented lot of players. That, I believe, is something to be excited about. I also follow UVA baseball and this has come up a lot in the past as well.

It has been mentioned above that recruiting is not an exact science (much like prospects are in the pro baseball). But I think a good mix of talent and coaching (I have faith in Melendez) is a good recipe for success.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:07 pm   
Juvenile Panther

FIU Fanatic wrote:
Coach Melendez keeps racking up All American recruits for the 2017 Class. Couple of days ago it was two left handed pitchers in Michael Perez and Elija Gill. Gill is a 6-1/185 LHP from Providence Christian HS in Jacksonville, who is rated as a PG 3rd Team All American player for 2017. Michael Perez, a 6-4 LHP from Conrad Academy in Orlando, is tabbed as a pre season Perfect Game Honorable Mention All American.

Now today, we have, as it appears in Perfect Game's database, two new commitments. Yet another top player from Puerto Rico, OF/LHP Gabriel Fernandez, has committed to FIU. He is the rated as the 7th top prospect in all of Puerto Rico (we have now committed to FIU from this class the #2, #4, #7, and #13 players from Puerto Rico) and the 4th FIU commit listed as 1st Team All American (joining MJ Melendez, Oraj Anu, and Johnathan Rodriguez). We also have on that list another Fernandez kid from Archbishop McCarthy in Broward, 6-3/195 OF Adan Fernandez, as committed to FIU. He is listed at Perfect Game as a High Honorable Mention All American player.

All 12 high school commitments so far are listed as Perfect Game's All Americans.

With these commitments, once they are added up to rankings, I expect FIU's ranking to go up from #13 (with 9 commits) to anywhere from #5 to #9 in the nation.

Looks like two more top commits for 2017 in Jan Figueroa and Jonathan Nieves have committed per Perfect Game (#5 and #9 players from Puerto Rico). Wish we had a football and basketball coach like Mervyl.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:57 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Fangraphs on the Skip's son (link: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/an-early ... 017-draft/):

Quote:
M.J. Melendez, C, Saint James School (AL)

Height: 6’, Weight: 160, Commitment: Florida International

Melendez’s father, Mervyl, Sr., is the head baseball coach at Florida International and indeed that is where M.J. (Mervyl, Jr.) is committed to play ball in college. At this point, it’s unclear to scouts whether or not that will have any impact on Melendez’s signability.

phpBB [video]

This is the best prep catcher I saw this summer but it’s hard to glean anything from a statement like that because depth at premium positions (especially among high schoolers) is very volatile, draft to draft.. Melendez has special defensive traits. He is lithe, loose and twitchy with uncommon athleticism and movement skills for a catcher, as well as an average receiver with plus raw arm strength. I had pop times as low as 1.94 to second base and 1.5 flat to third. Melendez also has some potential with the bat (which I’ll get into later) but he’s very raw offensively and is going to be drafted primarily because of his defensive ability. So where are catching prospects like this typically selected? Here’s a brief rundown of early-round high-school catchers from recent years:

2016: Cooper Johnson is the best defensive prep catcher in the class but falls due to weird signability issues. Of the 30 catchers taken in the first 10 rounds of the draft, only five of them are high schoolers and all of them (Andy Yerzy, Ben Rortvedt, Mario Feliciano, Payton Henry, Sam Huff) are bat-first prospects.

2015: Tyler Stephenson pops up during the spring and goes 11th overall but is no lock to catch — despite possessing the requisite physical ability — because he’s already 6-foot-4, 225. Chris Betts (bat first) and defensive wiz Lucas Herbert go in round two. Herbert was drafted by Atlanta one round after they selected his high-school teammate, Kolby Allard.

2014: Marlins’ third-rounder Blake Anderson is seen as a viable defender who will grow into offensive ability but is an overdraft at 36th overall. Jackson Reetz and Chase Vallot are not seen as locks to remain behind the plate.

2013: A bizarre year of polished prep defenders includes first-rounders Reese McGuire and Nick Ciuffo, as well as a Futures Game participant in Chance Sisco (who was transitioning from SS to C at the time). Even Red Sox third-rounder Jon Denney (now in the Royals organization) is seen as an advanced defender. We don’t see a bat-first catcher go off the board until the 100s, when Jacob Nottingham is selected.

While Melendez doesn’t have the superlative defensive hype that McGuire (picked 14th overall) did, he has a much better chance to hit and hit with power than Herbert (54th overall). The problem is, he swings and misses a lot. Melendez’s approach is very pull-heavy, his stride is frequently ill-timed and erratic, his swing can get long and his stride-less two-strike approach is not so much a subtle tweak to his primary one as it is a a complete departure, like if David Lynch were to have followed Eraserhead with a documentary about tree bark.

But he has bat speed. Exceptional bat speed, in fact. The folks at Zepp (a company which attempts to quantify things like hand and bat speed) measured Melendez’s bat speed (as they do for many showcase participants) at impact at just over 100 mph. That’s in the top 1% of players measured in this year’s high-school draft class. If that can be harnessed and Melendez can harness the natural loft and low-ball hitting ability that he flashes, he could be an excellent big leaguer. I think his market will start in the sandwich round because of the volatility of the bat. If he hits next spring I suppose he could go higher than that, but I think teams weight showcase performances heavily for hitters (because of the quality of competition) and Melendez looked erratic at times.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next