It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:00 pm

Baseball Stadium renovations placed on hold

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:15 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Looks like the renovations announced in June of this year have been placed on hold, according to the FIU facilities site. A shame considering I think it would have made our stadium one of the premiere baseball facilities in the conference.

I suspect that the funds which would have been allocated to the renovations were instead directed over to the football program once Butch was hired.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:29 pm   
Golden Panther

You're probably right about the funds being reallocated, and I hope that doesn't upset Melendez. I'm pretty sure the reason the soccer coach left had something to do with funding always going to other sports. I'd hate to lose a potential home run hire in baseball because football is being catered to.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:55 pm   
Golden Panther

Whenever it's finished, I really hope they extend the overhangs. It seems pointless to only cover a small portion of the seats.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:55 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Aaaaand looks like the renovations are back on! As of January 4th, they reposted the request for proposals on the facility site. No mention of the canopy in the ad sheet though.

Based on Pete's post in the Prowl, looks they they actually started making some aesthetic changes to the field as well resurfacing the batting cages.

http://fiusports.typepad.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:07 pm   
Golden Panther

Cool. Especially the new batting cages under the stands. Looking good and better. Go Panthers!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:44 am   
Golden Panther

Hopefully they can get this all done in time for season. I see the covered canopy being built maybe next season. The new seating area behind the catcher is really nice.

I'd be excited to see this all getting finished up.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:51 am   
Site Admin

You know what they really need to do, move the bullpens behind the outfield fences. That is the only way to get a regional at our ballpark, because then you could at least bring temporary seating to that area, otherwise, we will never get a regional at a 2,500 seat stadium.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:56 am   
Golden Panther

FIUPantherFan wrote:
You know what they really need to do, move the bullpens behind the outfield fences. That is the only way to get a regional at our ballpark, because then you could at least bring temporary seating to that area, otherwise, we will never get a regional at a 2,500 seat stadium.

We added temporary seating to the first weekend of 2012 for Garrett's pursuit of NCAA history. I don't return lay out.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:03 pm   
Golden Panther

FIUPantherFan wrote:

That's going to be tough to do. $$$$ near impossible, I think. You can't really do it behind right field (because of the preserve) or left field (because of the soccer stadium). Maybe behind center field is doable, but I'm not sure there's enough space for two sets of bullpens. And I don't think having the two pens that close to one another is all that great an idea, anyway.

I don't know if this is possible... but maybe have the pens under the stands? If you can do a batting cage under there, there should be enough room to do pens.

You're definitely right about the regional part. With Miami usually in the hunt for a regional anyway, the odds of FIU ever hosting one is pretty long. But the only way to really add seating is to extend it down the foul lines. Behind the outfield walls are really not an option.

MaXx wrote:
Whenever it's finished, I really hope they extend the overhangs. It seems pointless to only cover a small portion of the seats.

Yep. I'd cover them all if possible. Especially with the constant threat of rain and/or brutal sun.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:05 pm   
Golden Panther

Lets get that overhang this season!!! It's so hot out there.

Any new pictures of progress?