It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:44 pm

Baseball season begins in 2 weeks!

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:44 am   
Golden Panther

How do you guys see this season shaping up? I'm excited for this season. We're going to have a talented young roster and a great coach! Two weeks till the season begins!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:27 pm   
Golden Panther

someone wake up JOBU!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:40 pm   
Site Admin

I don't think Melendez can work his magic just yet. I don't think we have the pitching to get it done this year. We lost Crouse and Cave and for some reason Nunes is also gone, which I didn't know. Anyway, that leaves us with Chris Mourelle as the Friday starter and question marks all over the place for the rest of the starters. We might be a good hitting team and hopefully our defense picks up, but Mourelle is a nice starter but he doesn't have nasty stuff. We will get to .500 and be on pins and needles waiting to see how our 2017 class really shapes up. Go F I U!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:23 pm   
Puma

I am always excited for baseball season to start. I must admit, baseball and swimming are the only FIU sports that I attend and follow. Every year I attend opening night but unfortunately this year I will be out of town. My first game will then be against UCG wednesday the 22nd, right after opening weekend.

We are predicted to finish tied for 6th in the conference and we did not have any of our players make the Conference USA preseason all conference team. We just don't have the pitching, as it was already mentioned. Our best hope was Christian James but he signed pro with the Mets in last year's MLB draft. Mourelle will probably be our Friday night starter. After an amazing freshman season, he was about average his next two. Supposedly he looked great in fall ball, so let's hope that carries over. I, too, was not aware of Nunez. Not sure what happened there. One to keep an eye out on is Tyler Myrick, who was rated 11th best RHP prospect in Florida and #34 overall in the state. Not sure how he will be used, but most likely a midweek starter if he does stay in the rotation.

Hopefully the team can kick off the season with a sweep of Jacksonville State. Let's go boys!

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:53 am   
Golden Panther

I'll support coach Melendez and the only thing I'm asking for is improved Defense.

The Pitching will come around when the class of 2017 gets here next season.

I'll take .500 all day. And if that happens, we will have a good showing in CUSA tourney.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:13 am   
Golden Panther

I hope our defense picks up, that was our biggest issue last season. Our offense should be fine. I'm hoping for above 500 season, no reason why we can't with coaching and hard work.