It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:07 am

FIU takes game 2 over Um (3-2)

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:55 pm   
Juvenile Panther

Nice win boys!!

Can anyone share what the atmosphere was like?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:58 pm   
Golden Panther

FIU wins again!!!

Wish I could have gone. Go Panthers!!!

We may lose a lot of games this year... but when we beat UM, it lasts all season.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:12 pm   
Golden Panther

Way to go, Panthers! Wish I was there. #PawsUp

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:31 pm   
Puma

Half full house to begin, nearly full by the 5th inning. Not a lot of energy, though, given who we were playing. Both coaches using 3rd string freshmen pitchers deep into the game, as if to downplay any special significance. The final play of the game however was a once in a blue moon event, worth the price of admission. Tied at 2-2, runners on 1st and 2nd. What looked like a game winning HR or at least a double off the wall by Day was pulled in amazingly, over the shoulder, by UM's Chester, who assumed our (pinch) runner on 2nd would be content to tag and go to 3rd. But the 3rd base coach waved our guy to home and the hurried relay was wide. Game over. Insufferable front runners go back to Coral Gables to contemplate possibility of a losing season. My heart breaks for them :|

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:37 am   
Golden Panther

[Tweet]Check out @With_Da_Scoop's Tweet: https://twitter.com/With_Da_Scoop/statu ... 74816?s=09[/Tweet]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:33 am   
Puma

I might add for those of you who steadily complained about the shoddy fundamentals of the Turtle Shell era that this FIU team seemed solidly coached and defensively sound, though not very big. The second baseman looks to be about 5' 5" and 125 pounds, for instance, though he was active at the plate and seemed to see the ball well. The hitters struggled with the junk ball stuff of the first UM freshman (odd to see a 6'4" 215 pounder relying on such) but teed off pretty well on the fast ball. I'd say they looked about like the .500 club that they currently are but if the top end of the order gets it together, maybe they can do a little better. As for UM, they did not look to have a hitter on the team. They also looked sound, but I don't see how they can compete in their league unless their top 3-4 pitchers are absolutely stellar.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:03 am   
Puma

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/colle ... 44513.html

Quote:
Miami catcher Joe Gomez (40), infielder Edgar Michelangeli (16) and pitcher Evan McKendry (32) meet at the mound as Florida International University hosts the University of Miami at University Park baseball stadium at FIU University Park on Wed., March 8, 2017. AL DIAZ adiaz@miamiherald.com
BY SUSAN MILLER DEGNAN
sdegnan@miamiherald.com

LINKEDIN
GOOGLE+
PINTEREST
REDDIT
PRINT
ORDER REPRINT OF THIS STORY
FIU did it again, and so did the University of Miami.

Panther Nick Day’s two-base sacrifice fly deep to center in the bottom of the ninth drove home pinch-runner Kolby Follis from second base to give FIU a 3-2 victory Wednesday at FIU Baseball Stadium and extend UM’s misery.

Now, with a 4-8 record, the Hurricanes, who suffered another three-hitter, would need to go back to 1954 to find a UM team that started this poorly after 12 games. And that team, coached by Eddie Dunn, ended the season 10-11.

FIU won its fifth consecutive game, putting the Panthers (7-6) over .500 for the first time since winning their season opener.

Down 2-0, the Panthers scored the winning run against reliever Frankie Bartow.

JC Escarra led off the ninth for FIU with a single and was replaced on first base by Follis. Zack Soria sent Follis to second on a sacrifice bunt. Zach Files was intentionally walked, and Day followed with his shot to UM center fielder Carl Chester on the warning track.

FIU head coach Mervyl Melendez, who also serves as the third-base coach, waved Follis home. But the relay home from Romy Gonzalez, although close, was a bit wide. The Panthers rushed the field in a dog pile, and UM had lost again.

Chandler Raiden (1-0) pitched one inning for the victory. Bartow (1-1), who entered the game in the ninth, took the loss.

UM scored one in the first on a groundout by Gonzalez that brought home Michael Burns (single). The Canes made it 2-0 in the sixth when designated hitter Barry Buchowski doubled home Chester (walk).

UM entered the game hitting .178 as a team. The Canes have now mustered five or fewer hits in seven of their first 12 games.

Irving Lopez walked and subsequently scored FIU’s first run – unearned – against freshman reliever Albert Maury in the sixth on a passed ball with two outs. UM brought in reliever Andrew Cabezas in the seventh, who gave up the tying run on a double by Zach Files and RBI-single by Adam Sevario.

Right-handed UM freshman Evan McKendry, a 6-3, 210-pounder out of North Broward Prep, had an impressive showing in his first career start. He allowed three hits and one walk and struck out six.

Right-handed FIU freshman Tyler Myrick, also making his first career start, came into the game 1-0 with a 9.64 ERA in three previous appearances. But he allowed only one earned run on two hits and three walks in five innings, and struck out a career-high seven batters.

The Canes open their Atlantic Coast Conference schedule against Georgia Tech at 7 p.m. Friday.

RELATED CONTENT

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/colle ... rylink=cpy

Loving the comments on the page.

Quote:
Jorge Martinez
Finally FIU has overtaken UM.
Like · Reply · 11 hrs

Edward J Wall
You wouldn't know that from the headline, "Canes lose again to FIU," like we are a school from New Jersey or somewhere. This is why I canceled my subscription a long time ago.
Like · Reply · 2 · 3 hrs

Walt Morris ·
Teacher at MSD Washington Township
4 national titles 20 college World Series appearances for Miami fiu has done nothing!! Have a long way to go fiu.
Like · Reply · 3 · 11 hrs

Hector Andres Pires Leon ·
Works at Miura Cigar Lounge
Score board.
Like · Reply · 1 · 10 hrs

Richard Murguia ·
Florida International University
Dude don't talk about the past talk about the here and now this UM team didn't win 4 national championship ships and earned 20 college world series apperances
Like · Reply · 3 hrs

Betty Nevelus ·
Fairfax Hall, Waynesboro, VA
Morris sucks. Should have been canned when Golden was fired.
Like · Reply · 9 hrs

Gabriel Diaz-Sarmiento ·
Florida International University
Hard work and concentration have made the difference this season! Go Panthers! Let's rattle the cage!
Like · Reply · 7 hrs

Angelico Perez ·
Works at Jackson Health System
Really, one year does not make a difference. FIU would need to beat UM on a more consistence bases in order for any one can say that the Panthers have overtaken UM.
Like · Reply · 1 hr

Jorge Bouza ·
Works at TECO Energy
Nice headline Herald. We didn't win,they lost. No wonder I walked away from you years ago. I see things haven't changed.
Like · Reply · 1 · 1 hr

Susan Miller Degnan ·
Works at Miami Herald
Hi, Jorge. Thanks for the feedback. You can blame me for that one. I had about 15 minutes to write the story on deadline after the amazing ending and thought the most unbelievable aspect of it was that it's the worst start in 63 years for UM. I wasn't trying to ignore FIU, so I apologize. Anyway, I really like Merv Melendez and the grit of FIU. Did you see my story from first game? Did you see the story a couple weeks ago the day before the 2 teams met? I hope so. Appreciate what you said. I like people who put their name to their opinions. Take care. Susan.
Like · Reply · 15 mins

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:52 am   
Puma

The reporter has nothing to apologize for. A couple of those with comments suffer from inferiority complexes. Understandable, but we have to butch up over here.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:05 pm   
Site Admin

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:19 pm   
Site Admin

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:58 am   
Golden Panther

Diagodog wrote:
Half full house to begin, nearly full by the 5th inning. Not a lot of energy, though, given who we were playing. Both coaches using 3rd string freshmen pitchers deep into the game, as if to downplay any special significance. The final play of the game however was a once in a blue moon event, worth the price of admission. Tied at 2-2, runners on 1st and 2nd. What looked like a game winning HR or at least a double off the wall by Day was pulled in amazingly, over the shoulder, by UM's Chester, who assumed our (pinch) runner on 2nd would be content to tag and go to 3rd. But the 3rd base coach waved our guy to home and the hurried relay was wide. Game over. Insufferable front runners go back to Coral Gables to contemplate possibility of a losing season. My heart breaks for them :|

FYI.....the third base coach is head coach melendez

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:48 am   
Puma

Well, I hope the coach will keep him there. :mrgreen: