It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:15 pm

J. Valdes, T. Myrick & N. MacDonald- Freshmen All American

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:55 pm   
Golden Panther

Collegiate Baseball had their Freshmen All American Team, and included in the team were a couple of our freshmen pitchers: Tyler Myrick and Nick MacDonald. Congrats to both Panhters!

http://baseballnews.com/collegiate-base ... americans/

Quote:
RHP Tyler Myrick, Florida International: A member of the All-Freshmen team in Conference USA posted a 6-2 record, 3.73 ERA and struck out 57 batters with 28 walks over 72 1/3 innings.

RHP Nick MacDonald, Florida International: Another member of the Conference USA All-Freshmen team, he was 7-3 with a 4.29 ERA and struck out 68 batters with 30 walks over 71 1/3 innings.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:33 pm   
Site Admin

Need two more starting pitchers to fall through the mlb draft and we will be off to a good start.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:22 am   
Golden Panther

Also, Javier Valdes was named a freshman All American as an infielder. Congrats, Javier!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:41 am   
Juvenile Panther

FIU Fanatic,

You are 100% accurate in your assessment. Additionally, we need some guys in the bullpen. If we can add the 2 starters that you alluded to, then add three reliable guys coming out of the 'pen, even with a roster similar to what we had this year, we would win 35-40 games. Of course everyone knows that we have the #1 recruiting class in the country, so even if we can sign only a 1/3 of the incoming freshmen, we have the potential to have a breakout year next year. We have some significant losses (seniors) but this will simply give more playing time to the new guys. Always remember, the most important thing in baseball is pitching, pitching and pitching.... FIUPhil

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:22 pm   
Golden Panther

I'm trying to stay cautiously optimistic about the recruiting class, but after looking at the Perfecf Game Recruiting Ratings I get a little worried about the class. We have 29 kids signed but the average signee is rated somewhere in the 6's (1-10 scale I believe). Most of the schools in the ratings have fewer signees but higher average signee ratings. I'm a little worried that if a lot the Draft level guys don't end up on campus, the class might not be nearly as strong as it appears. I hope I'm wrong but it's something I can't help but think about.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:53 pm   
Golden Panther

pikedanny wrote:
I'm trying to stay cautiously optimistic about the recruiting class, but after looking at the Perfecf Game Recruiting Ratings I get a little worried about the class. We have 29 kids signed but the average signee is rated somewhere in the 6's (1-10 scale I believe). Most of the schools in the ratings have fewer signees but higher average signee ratings. I'm a little worried that if a lot the Draft level guys don't end up on campus, the class might not be nearly as strong as it appears. I hope I'm wrong but it's something I can't help but think about.

Yeah, that #1 rating is a little misleading. It's so high because of the # of recruits. It's the quality vs. quantity argument. Is it better to have 9 5-star guys for a score of 45, or 15 3-star guys for the same score? If all our highly rated guys head to MLB, I wonder what will be left.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:46 pm   
Golden Panther

I'm not worried at all. We've also signed couple of high end JUCO guys, plus we have a tin of signees fairly well rated towards the "bottom" part of our signees. I'm very hopeful about this class regardless of the number of signers who end up as draft signees.